Budget Bi-Wire speaker cables

Has anyone had any positive experience with budget Bi-wire speaker cables either from eBay or any other sources? Im building a shed system on a budget from a Yamaha integrated amp and pair of B&W 606 speakers, was thinking of spending up to $150 on cables. Is it worth it at this level of gear? Will I hear the difference? Do I need to Bi-Wire or just get a good set of singles?

recommend NB speaker cables at that budget https://www.nbspeakercables.com.au/

no need to biwire just replace the jumpers on the speakers with some decent gague copper wire if they have the brass jumpers

other option would be just to run your own 'bare' decent gauge OFC speaker cable

Is this a shed system in a shed where you plan to 'man cave' and do serious listening?

If yes, then decent bi-wiring (providing the speakers are set up properly for it) MAY be warranted.

If not, then how much will a slight improvement in detail be noticed? I'm also not sure how 1 set of $150 cables would compare with 2 sets of $75 cables.

• Like 1

On 16/09/2020 at 1:09 PM, Abbuts said:

Do I need to Bi-Wire or just get a good set of singles?

No need whatsoever to bi-wire at this level or just about any other level.

If you want some superb budget cables look no further than @Bill125812 just send him a PM.

He can make cables to suit your system and situation . There are many people on here who have,use and endorse Bill's budget cables. They really are superb in both value and performance.

• Like 3

this is a shed system right?

do you bi-wire your main setup? if so, did you hear a difference?

Bi-wiring has tiny incremental gains compared to say bi-amping which use a line level active crossover before the amplifiers.

That said, unless you're an active crossover nutter like myself, a shed system won't require bi-ampng/bi-wiring.

I've built portable "boom boxes" using car head units/amps/speakers and custom active crossovers which sound great - and better than the stock passive crossovers would have...but being an active crossover nutter, everything I build uses active crossovers.

Bi-wiring a shed system? - IMHO a waste of time - I'll temper my opinion by saying I think all bi-wiring is a waste of time compared to the gains that could be achieved with bi-amping/active crossovers - YMMV.

Bi-amping a shed system? - not necessary, especially if just casually listening while doing jobs in the shed - single speaker wires and passive crossovers work just fine

cheers,

Mike

I've used $150 blue Jeans cables for my system for years (Devialet Od'A / Dynaudio C1) I tried $3000.- cables once and couldn't hear a difference. Not even a bit. I would doubt you would hear a difference with your system even if you just picked up whatever you have lying around in the shed. 

• Like 2