BNC cables for Chord MScaler

Hey MScaler owners - what cables have you tried/replaced your stock mscaler dual bnc cables with?

I have read the audiobacon review on this topic but many of those cables are not easily available in Australia (or quite expensive to try and sell on if we don't get...)

Would love to hear peoples experiences.

Thanks!

I use DH Labs Silver Sonic in combination with their Mirage USB cable providing the input from the streamer. Found them to be an improvement on the Blue Jeans BNC and Audioquest Carbon USB which they replaced and are very good. The DH Labs cables are not cheap but are far from silly prices.

• 5 months later...
On 19/09/2020 at 5:49 AM, Gieseler Audio said:

Yes - according to Rob Watts the Mscaler only draws about 1 A so any of my 15v output power supplies would be fine.

The best 15v PSU would be my brand new Kraftwerk II

https://www.gieseler.com.au/product-page/kraftwerk-ii

Should be available in about a week.

?

Hi there I have recently purchased an Mscaler and thinking about my power supply, I currently have Booster to my TT2 Dac, do you have stock here in Australia, how does the above compare to say the SBooster?

Cheers Barry

Hi Barry,

all parts are in stock but I build to order so just a couple of days lead time.

The SBooster PSU's are very good but the Kraftwerk II has more advanced tech features like 

Mosfet active bridge rectifier, Big Hammond choke, Nichicon Gold Tune Capacitors & Linear Technology regulators.

If you look at high end audio PSU's like JCAT's new ATX PSU

https://jcat.eu/optimo-atx-worlds-first-truly-linear-atx-psu-for-audiophiles-we-are-almost-there/

it also uses a Mosfet acive rectifier & Linear Technology regulators.

Uptone Audio's JS-2 uses the same Hammond Choke that I use in the Kraftwerk II

so the general drift is the Kraftwerk II is more in line with those audiophile style PSU's.

Plenty of owner feedback on the Kraftwerk II here:

• Like 1

This is the entire reason why I will not consider the M-Scaler until it comes in a one box DAC. Digital cables are not truly lossless. They do introduce some kind of sound signature. Having to also use 2x more digital cables for the DAC to scaler is a pain, and you will notice improvements here. Don't skimp on it in this critical position.

The best digital cables I have ever come across, by far, are the magnetic cables by High Fidelity Cables. Back then they only did RCA for spdif, but now they also do BNC cables so I would check them out. Even their entry level series will kill almost all competing digital cables.

Interesting topic - I've just unplugged the scaler from my system and found a decent improvement in sound - I suspect in large part to the power supply and cables for the m-scaler not being up to 'standard' for the rest of the system.  But then I'm not sure if I should be spending a lot more $$$ on them....

20 minutes ago, BWJA said:

Have you tried a PSU to the Mscaler?

Not yet. If I go that route I need to commit to upgrading the BBC interconnects also!

Would love to test some of anyone is in Sydney!