Looking for a bit of advice,

Since working from home I realise I need a set of headphones for making phone calls on my iPhone.

I can't wear the Apple buds that came with the phone as the don't fit my ear so I bought a cheap pair of earbuds with a built in mic.

But what I realise is that I hate talking on them when I can't hear my own voice (because the buds block out outside noise)

So what I'm wondering is whether there are headphones with a built in mic that somehow allow you to "monitor" your own voice. Don't mind if they are wired or not but don't want to spend too much.

As an alternative, I have a RODE NT USB-mini microphone which I use for podcasting. This has a headphone jack that allows you to monitor your own voice. I can plug it into my phone with a USD - lightning adapter that I have, but it only seems to work as a mic - the monitor feature doesn't seem to work, so I can't hear myself or the other person. Perhaps there's a way of setting it up that I'm missing?

Edited by sir sanders zingmore

Airpods pro. They are a different shape to the freebie pods that come with the phone and have 3 sized rubber inserts. They have a transparency mode which allows you to hear everything around you despite a good seal. I use this at home when I need to hear the kids or on a walk for traffic awareness. They also have active noise cancelling mode which works pretty well. There are also after market foam pads if you don't like the rubber ones. I also love the convenience of a case that also charges them.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzsfbBqnUYtiVCGbLoU

Edited by blybo
1 minute ago, blybo said:

Airpods pro. They are a different shape to the freebie pods that come with the phone and have 3 sized rubber inserts. They have a transparency mode which allows you to hear everything around you despite a good seal. I use this at home when I need to hear the kids or on a walk for traffic awareness. They also have active noise cancelling mode which works pretty well. There are also after market foam pads if you don't like the rubber ones.

that's exactly what I'm after but $400… ouch :(

5 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

that's exactly what I'm after but $400… ouch :(

Not cheap but their convenience means I almost always carry mine with me in a pocket. Great for grocery shopping listening to Three Sad Bastards podcasts :thumb:

I have open back over ear Sennheisers which have a spare cable with built in mic. I never use it. The ability to walk around the house within bluetooth range is so convenient too, and can easily switch over to my laptop to watch occasional videos or listen to music without disturbing my remote learners in the same room.

Edited by blybo

2 hours ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

just what I'm looking for :)

Can I claim it on medicare?

Yes, full rebate until 30 September but that has been extended for Victorians ;) 

4 minutes ago, Telecine said:

Just looking them now, do they have the "talk through" function - the thing that allows outside noise through (that's what I need as I hate it when I can't hear myself talking)

1 minute ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

Just looking them now, do they have the "talk through" function - the thing that allows outside noise through (that's what I need as I hate it when I can't hear myself talking)

I can hear my voice clearly through the earphones when talking. Not sure that is the same thing as you are looking for though.

Just now, Telecine said:

I can hear my voice clearly through the earphones when talking. Not sure that is the same thing as you are looking for though.

When you hear your voice is it because the headphones allow outside sound to come in or because they actually pick up your voice via the mic and you it hear through the headphones themselves 

1 minute ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

When you hear your voice is it because the headphones allow outside sound to come in or because they actually pick up your voice via the mic and you it hear through the headphones themselves 

The later I think but it isn't a problem for me.

14 hours ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

I can't wear the Apple buds that came with the phone as the don't fit my ear

Is it they fall out? Theres some anti-slip silicone tips you can get for them on ebay that may be a cheap fix. The cabled earpods are hard to beat for calls.

44 minutes ago, danrey said:

Is it they fall out? Theres some anti-slip silicone tips you can get for them on ebay that may be a cheap fix. The cabled earpods are hard to beat for calls.

Oh, I didn't think of that. Will have to look them up. Thanks👍