Partial tear down of Willsenton R8

12 minutes ago, xlr8or said:

Like this one:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1pcs-6N8S-1578-6SN7-MELZ-HOLE-PLATE-TUBES-USSR-SOVIET-VINTAGE-VALVES-NEW-/402597037485

@muon* I think the rectangular shaped mica plates came out before the oval (elliptical) shaped mica plates.

Can't make out the year on those.

But there is also another 50's one that has longer steel supports at the top, I got some of them for a friend, and when I get around there eventually I'll take some close pics of them :)

Cant recall what the mica base was shaped like.

SO what I'm saying as there are two types in the 50's with different supports at the top, ones with those mica ones like in that ad you link there and one type with steel supports that are a little longer.

Edited by muon*
  • Like 1
  • Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am not an expert on tube amp like many on this forum however writing this blog to help those who are thinking of buying Willsenton R8 or those who owns it and want to know bit more about it. I am no

It came!!     😲😲😲😲😲😲   Ordered November 22nd.  Arrived January 26th, by ocean.  (I was too cheap to pay the airfreight)    Off we go!  

It's not in its final resting place yet, but couldn't wait to test it.   I'm running all standard Willsenton tubes currently with KT88s   I let it warm up for about 20 minutes, che

Here are reference photos of the 2 different 1578 types. One has the oval mica spaces and the other has the rectangular mica spaces. Both tubes have the vertical series of round holes located all the way up on the ends of the anode plates. If there is a 3rd variant with longer steel supports please feel free to add it.

I've searched past listings on eBay to find the 3rd variant but couldn't find one.

Variant 1: Oval Mica Spaces

20210126_073819.jpg

Variant 2: Rectangular Mica Spaces

20210126_073843.jpg

Edited by xlr8or
  • Thanks 1

Ahh the joy of tube rolling, wish I had the box of tubes my grandfather had from the 50's and 60's  ....  😮

1 hour ago, Wisker said:

Ahh the joy of tube rolling, wish I had the box of tubes my grandfather had from the 50's and 60's  ....  😮

I think I have that job lot somewhere here at home. 🤣

6 hours ago, xlr8or said:

Here are reference photos of the 2 different 1578 types. One has the oval mica spaces and the other has the rectangular mica spaces. Both tubes have the vertical series of round holes located all the way up on the ends of the anode plates. If there is a 3rd variant with longer steel supports please feel free to add it.

I've searched past listings on eBay to find the 3rd variant but couldn't find one.

Variant 1: Oval Mica Spaces

20210126_073819.jpg

Variant 2: Rectangular Mica Spaces

20210126_073843.jpg

Here ya' go dated 56, distinctive from the usual mica ones or whatever the shorter supports are made from.

645971432_56MELZ.jpg.a9dbaa8cf7ec168fed8373d371561214.jpg

• Like 1
14 hours ago, xlr8or said:

Thanks muon* and xlr8or for the support.

I pulled the trigger on above link.

My current configs with R8:

3x PSVANE KT88 TII

2x SYLVANIA 6SL7GT

2x CV181-Z (6SN7GT) ShuGuang (the middle 6sn7 is stock)

Hopefully the purchase of 1579 will improve the sound. What do you thinks?

1 hour ago, Lam Pham said:

Thanks muon* and xlr8or for the support.

I pulled the trigger on above link.

My current configs with R8:

3x PSVANE KT88 TII

2x SYLVANIA 6SL7GT

2x CV181-Z (6SN7GT) ShuGuang (the middle 6sn7 is stock)

Hopefully the purchase of 1579 will improve the sound. What do you thinks?

Only you will know :)

Everyone likes different things, and we never listen to any one thing as we listen to the system as a whole, so how it all works together is what you are aiming for, with the goal to what you like best.

So the 1579 is a 6SL7 type so that is going to be working with your KT88's and the CV181-Z.

Those 1579 will be refined and liquid smooth and detailed, so that is what will be working with the signatures of the other tubes.

14 minutes ago, muon* said:

Those 1579 will be refined and liquid smooth and detailed, so that is what will be working with the signatures of the other tubes.

For 1579 alone, that signature is what I like :)

• Like 1

It came!!     😲😲😲😲😲😲

Ordered November 22nd.  Arrived January 26th, by ocean.  (I was too cheap to pay the airfreight) 

Off we go!  

Wills.JPG

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Just got my shipping conformation today, Hoping it get's on the plane today or tomorrow ....  Ordered on January 6 th, :frantics:

Edited by Wisker
  • Like 1

Just now, echorec said:

Enjoy the new R8 smell @Candan

Mate.  It stinks!!

And I've not powered it up yet as it's still acclimatizing to indoors from being outside at -8c. 

Tell me though... Although I have the typical US/Can plug and cord.  The amp says 220v 50hz on the back.  Yours?

Just now, Wisker said:

You got a good deal on it before the 1 st price hike, Post some picks when its up.....

Will do!

3 minutes ago, Candan said:

The amp says 220v 50hz on the back.  Yours?

hmmm... Mine says 120v. There have been some examples of wrong voltage units being sent, so you will definitely want to confirm. If you open the bottom panel, check to see what the voltage selector is set at and maybe post a pic here. Also double check with Lee. Could be simply mislabeled chassis.

• Like 1

Alot of people and reviews on china hi-fi say it has a strong oder, I wonder if its some kind of sanitation process ...

2 minutes ago, Wisker said:

Wouldn't the plug be different if it was 220...

There's an internal voltage selector that needs to be checked. Also, there was an example elsewhere of someone who received the correct plug, but the amp itself was internally wired/set for a different voltage, so best to double check everything.

• Like 1

Wow thats a little uncomfortable , while I'm in there I'll try to take a pic of the bias pot you mentioned ....

16 minutes ago, Wisker said:

Wouldn't the plug be different if it was 220...

No.  Standard 3 prong at amp end and whatever wire you need to the socket.  Aside from voltage

14 minutes ago, echorec said:

There's an internal voltage selector that needs to be checked. Also, there was an example elsewhere of someone who received the correct plug, but the amp itself was internally wired/set for a different voltage, so best to double check everything.

Ugh.  Was hoping to not take apart on day 1.  Yours says 120v on the back?

2 minutes ago, Candan said:

Ugh.  Was hoping to not take apart on day 1.  Yours says 120v on the back?

Yes. It's easy to take the bottom plate off. Just make sure you brace the front end with the tube cage when you turn it upside down and don't touch anything in there with your fingers. You might as well take some detailed pics while you have the cover off, in case you need them for future reference. I would also visually inspect the solder joints while you have the cover off.

R8-Voltage-small.jpg

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, echorec said:

Yes. It's easy to take the bottom plate off. Just make sure you brace the front end with the tube cage when you turn it upside down and don't touch anything in there with your fingers. You might as well take some detailed pics while you have the cover off, in case you need them for future reference. I would also visually inspect the solder joints while you have the cover off.

R8-Voltage-small.jpg

Thanks.  I'll investigate...

16 minutes ago, Candan said:

Thanks.  I'll investigate...

The inside of the power cord is insulated so I can't see it.  

There is a voltage switch set for 115v that makes me feel a lot better!

PXL_20210126_234708521.jpg

PXL_20210127_002522919.jpg

PXL_20210127_002926342.jpg

• Like 1

It's not in its final resting place yet, but couldn't wait to test it.

I'm running all standard Willsenton tubes currently with KT88s

I let it warm up for about 20 minutes, checked the bias and was surprised to see I didn't have to adjust any valves at all.

After 30 minutes I started to give it something to digest...

Only given it some smooth jazz so far with a bit of Karen Souza.  

Instant tube warmth and an amazing sound stage for an amp that's barely burned in for half an hour!  A bit scratchy in the mids at the moment, but I'm sure this will smooth out in the coming hours.

One concern, I'm hoping will ease off.  There's a bit of a buzz that's audible.  It's accentuated in ultralinear mode.  Again, given time...  100% it's not the source.  Others experience this?  All stock tubes remember...  Speakers are quite sensitive.  Any junk they will find.

Not smelling the gas off of paint.  Unless  already used to it and high!  🤣

A few pics of my new baby!

PXL_20210127_013639122.jpg

PXL_20210127_013702781.jpg

PXL_20210127_013717446.jpg

PXL_20210127_012442411.jpg

PXL_20210127_012540950.MP.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thanks' for posting pics of that jewel , Mine will also be the silver, let us know how it sounds when you give it the beans...   I ordered the pre amp tube option....  .:popcorn:

• Like 1

Looks great and LOVE the Kantas! It will only get better. Is the noise in both speakers or one? Could be the preamp tubes. Mine is quiet with 91db efficient speakers, but I have noise-tested NOS tubes. I have to put my ear a few inches from the tweeter to hear a very faint buzz.

16 minutes ago, echorec said:

Looks great and LOVE the Kantas! It will only get better. Is the noise in both speakers or one? Could be the preamp tubes. Mine is quiet with 91db efficient speakers, but I have noise-tested NOS tubes. I have to put my ear a few inches from the tweeter to hear a very faint buzz.

Thanks!  The noise is in both, evenly.  My buzz can be heard much more easily than putting your ear to them.  My Kantas are also 91db.  

Have other tubes but will see if it dissipates on its own in the next few dozen hours.

5 hours ago, Candan said:

It came!!     😲😲😲😲😲😲

Ordered November 22nd.  Arrived January 26th, by ocean.  (I was too cheap to pay the airfreight) 

Off we go!  

Wills.JPG

Wipe the salt away.

13 minutes ago, Phrangko said:

Wipe the salt away.

Wha?  The salt?  Eh?  Why would it be salty?  😲

1 hour ago, Wisker said:

Thanks' for posting pics of that jewel , Mine will also be the silver, let us know how it sounds when you give it the beans...   I ordered the pre amp tube option....  .:popcorn:

Hi Wisker,

Could you please take some pictures when you unpack the package so we all know how to repack it when in need (for moving around).

Thanks

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Candan said:

It came!!     😲😲😲😲😲😲

Off we go!  

Wills.JPG

Nice! Memories!!!

mine arrived by boat also, wasn't prepared to cop the extra cost to Australia late last year and was in no major hurry.  I still remember the smell of what seemed fresh paint when I opened the box.

I am also using the Willsenton KT88 tubes, much learning from this thread on what tubes I think I'll try next when the time comes.

Enjoy the amp, you have it paired to some very nice speakers, nice to know there is synergy there already and hopefully that buzz you have encountered  removes it self with a few hours up or disappears with a tube roll.

I will add to my earlier comment about this surly being the premier R8 thread on the web right now, but it is also great to see so many international peoples joining up to StereoNet Australia.  Hopefully you can enjoy the whole forum as there is some great threads and its a friendly place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You R8 lovers are posting here as if we are following episodes of the bold and beautiful. Please keep them coming. 😁

Nothing wrong with leaving the amp on for 48 hours after first or second boot up to allow all the tubes to settle in and 'acclimatise'. This is a Brent Jessee recommendation and strongly advocated. Also, don't forget to check the bias on the power tubes beforehand to ensure no bottles red plate when carrying out the 48 h 'burn-in' procedure above. 👍👍👍

Edited by xlr8or
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, Wisker said:

Just got my shipping conformation today, Hoping it get's on the plane today or tomorrow ....  Ordered on January 6 th, :frantics:

Mine was shipped on the 20th January. It spent 3 days hanging around in Honk Kong - Yong Lee told me this may happen as Covid has reduced the number of flights from HK. Yesterday it reached Germany and is now en route to UK for delivery tomorrow (28th). So about a week in all which is not too bad.

I paid about 40% of the total value of the R8 for shipping, which is crazy, but I didn't see any surface delivery option when I ordered or I may have gone that way. I see above that surface shipping takes about 4 weeks longer than air, which is a reasonable trade off for speed vs cost I think.

Anyway, all being well, mine will be up and running tomorrow. I'll post a report of my initial impressions.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, echorec said:

What would we be looking for inside the unit? Mine was ordered as 230V (UK) and I would hate to plug it in and then watch it blow up if they mistakenly sent me a 110V unit. I have no tech abilities at all, so a pic or advice would be great. Mine arrives tomorrow and I want to get up and running asap of course :)  Thanks.

EDIT: If all I have to do is check that a switch is in the '230V' position, even I can manage that :)  Is that really all there is to checking the voltage is set correctly?

Edited by Zed Zed