Willsenton R8 Owners & Discussion Thread

Atmaj
Message added by Marc,

The modification of electrical items by non-qualified individuals is dangerous, illegal and potentially life threatening. The regulations and laws differ between countries and regions, so before attempting any modifications we urge you to check with the local rules and regulations in your region.

By modifying any electrical item you may void any manufacturer's warranty. If in doubt, seek the services of a qualified technician to inspect any modifications to the product to ensure it is safe for use.

The publisher of this website takes no responsibility for any damage, injury or death resulting from, whether directly or indirectly, any accident that may happen as a result of modification outside of the manufacturer's specifications.

4 hours ago, Zed Zed said:

I'm from Essex, in case you couldn't tell . . . ?

Yes.  I'm a Kentish expat!  ?

Some time back we had a chat about the excessive brightness you were experiencing. I assume from your comments above that this has now gone away (maybe since you swapped tubes). I do hope so.

Can't believe you've not tried EL34s ?  You must!!

Yes!  Softened off quite a bit after about 75 hours or so with the KT88.  But the EL34 tubes are an improvement still.  KT88 in UL mode is still a bit tiring.

As ever with my remarks on tubes, take with a pinch of salt, but I have read that the tubes which have the most impact on the sound are the two 6SL7s (hence my recent experiment with the wonderful-sounding Melz tubes which @echorec recommended to me (and which both of us have had a few teething issues with - see earlier posts).  This would make sense to me since I am a firm believer in upgrading from 'the beginning', by which I mean I always start at the front end of the signal, on the basis that whatever comes later can only deal with what it has been fed earlier. Am I making sense?

I read also that the middle 6SN7 was some sort of 'circuit' tube (I forget what, exactly) and had minimal to zero impact on SQ, but I changed all three for a matched set when I rolled mine. Just 'to be sure' (a philosophy which has cost me many £££s over the years).

I've heard and read these points too.  That's why I've only rolled my 6SL7s so far, plus the reissue Mullard EL34s (I repeat re-issue!  Don't get all excited!)  ?

I'll eventually do the 6SN7s I suppose.  Middle one is voltage regulator or something, agreed.   Unsure of any impact on sq.  But makes sense you did all 3.  I likely will too when I get there.  If you only did 2, you'd always wonder if you hadn't!

22 minutes ago, echorec said:

Hey @Candan, what changes did you notice going to the Brimars? I see Upscale has them for $70 each and I have a gift card there. Might need to grab a pair because... reasons.

Massive difference, but then that is compared to stock Willsenton.

More defined, wider soundstage and more up front.  I found the stock a bit narrower and more distant.

Much cleaner, more balanced tone to my ears and more smooth.  Especially with jazz.  The stock sounded a bit grainy to me, especially with some higher mids (trumpet / tenor sax range) and female vocals seemed to break off a bit.  

I'm really happy with them!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Someone with the R8 please buy these for the 6SL7 position:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Tung-Sol-6SU7GT-6SL7GT-brown-base-black-round-plates-match-pair-6SL7/224126006493

???

Edit: Trust me on this you won't be posting here for a while as you'll be mesmerised by the sound. ?

Edited by xlr8or
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, xlr8or said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Tung-Sol-6SU7GT-6SL7GT-brown-base-black-round-plates-match-pair-6SL7/224126006493

???

Edit: Trust me on this you won't be posting here for a while as you'll be mesmerised by the sound. ?

Get thee behind me, Satan :)  I am sorely tempted. Thing is, I have the original 6SL7s that came with the amp. Plus a very nice pair of Sylvanias. Plus not one but TWO pairs of Melz on the way. That is already four pairs of tubes for the 6SL7 position . . .  Do I really need five pairs for this one slot? I guess I could sell some of the others? Hmmm. . . 

I just clicked the link again, half-hoping someone would have snapped them up, half-hoping they hadn't.

"Doctor, I am suffering from the beginnings of Tuberollitis. I can feel it affecting my eyesight and my right hand . . . the latter has this compulsion to click BUY IT NOW when my eyes light on a desirable set of tubes. Is there any hope of remission?" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Zed Zed said:

"Doctor, I am suffering from the beginnings of Tuberollitis. I can feel it affecting my eyesight and my right hand . . . the latter has this compulsion to click BUY IT NOW when my eyes light on a desirable set of tubes. Is there any hope of remission?" 

I'm afraid the maximum incapacitation period I can prescribe in your case is 6 months post BIN purchase. ?

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, xlr8or said:

???

They appear to have disappeared!  ?‍♂️

??

9 hours ago, xlr8or said:

???

I agree with @xlr8or - I have these and they are at the top two of my favorites for that position. I always seem to come back to them. In the R8 they have the most body of all my 6SL7s with a wide/deep soundstage. Compared to all the others, they are warmer in the upper mids, and highs, and evoke a sense of emotion. They don't have the 3D presence of the Melz, but are better for long listening sessions.  A good tube to let your body melt into your listening chair and forget about the world around you. Oh and they are dead quiet and will probably outlast you and your R8.

Tung-Sols.jpg

• Like 4

21 hours ago, xlr8or said:

???

Thanks @xlr8orfor the tip off!  You know your tubes.  I trust your input!  Of course I'll report back in a couple of months, how good they sound ?

But why these brown bases and not the black ones?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284053057016

In specific case, the black micanol base used for the Tung-Sol tube is a later revision. This is not always the case as Mullard UK manufacture went the other way around with a very dark brown micanol base to begin with. They then switched over to the standard brown micanol base and then moved to the pure black shiny micanol base.

I would grab these as well. ?

Edited by xlr8or
  • Like 2

Howdy Kirk! @xlr8or

I was browsing last night during the wee hours and seriously about to pull the trigger on the brown base. I think I was beaten by Candan only by a few seconds. No regret and I sincerely hope Candan enjoy the valves very much.

I'd like to ask your opinion on the sound comparison between RCA red base triple mica 5691 and these Tung Sol. I was collecting a lot of these RCA a few years ago and I am wondering if the Tung Sol would be an improvement to the RCA?

Thanks,

Will

• Like 1

Hey @Jehuty. The 5691 (like the 5692) to me sound too clinical in tonal character. They also sound reserved with the impression they can do a lot more.

Being specifically designed for military applications the 5691 has a flat analytical sound associated with it. They are a great tube to try on a first roll.

When you're up to roll 10 and looking for closure the black-coated glass envelope Tung-Sols with round anode plate construction win hands down.

Edited by xlr8or
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, muon* said:

Geez! controversy in this hobby, who would have thought 

Edit: I feel like a heathen going against Kirk's flow :lol:

All good @muon*. It helps to have multiple points of view/feedback. What works in one's system may not neccesarily work out in another's system and vice versa, as you have correctly pointed out.

This hobby is very much subjective and depends on one's listening tastes. It is also dependent on the strengths and weaknesses of one's system.

The 5691 and 5692 red micanol base octals have triple mica construction and sound very similar to 5751 and 5814 triple mica construction 9-pin minis. They are a good tube to balance out warmth and as mentioned prior a good tube to try for a first roll. Some rollers settle on these and live happily ever after. ?

Edited by xlr8or
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Candan said:

Thanks @xlr8orfor the tip off!  You know your tubes.  I trust your input!  Of course I'll report back in a couple of months, how good they sound ?

But why these brown bases and not the black ones?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284053057016

I like the look of those - the Darth Vader of tubes :)

• Love 1