Bookshelf speakers on a budget.

Hi. New to SNA. Working from home and sick of wearing headphones. So I am on the well beaten path in search of second hand bookshelf speakers. Budget is $250. I have a yamaha RX-397 (4&8 ohm switchable) and the room I have is 3mx2.7m. Any sugestions you have would be appreciated. 

Usher S-520, Q Acoustics 3020/i or 3010/i are some suggestions. Place a WTB in the classifieds section, we have too many hoarders here (myself included ?) and someone is likely to have a pair of bookshelf speakers kicking around unused.

Also Wharfedale Diamond with yellow or black Kevlar woofer, Mission 750, Kef Cod 8, 1990s Acoustic Energy AE109 floorstander and B&W 601 both around $300

Edited by Al.M
  • Like 2

Not sure what style of music you listen to nor expected volume but keep in mind that many of the suggested speakers above are ported at the rear so they need open space behind them for best performance. Examples like the B&W 601 are front ported making placement easier. Nice speaker too. 

On 13/09/2020 at 9:48 PM, BRS said:

Hi. New to SNA. Working from home and sick of wearing headphones. So I am on the well beaten path in search of second hand bookshelf speakers. Budget is $250. I have a yamaha RX-397 (4&8 ohm switchable) and the room I have is 3mx2.7m. Any sugestions you have would be appreciated. 

Are these speakers going to be sitting on a desktop / cabinet at one end of the room, or can you put the bookshelves on separate stands ?

The results can be vastly different, so I think before any recommendation is taken seriously you should answer that question.

Also if any particular music type is favored, and max volume level you'll likely be running the speakers at would be great info to have.

8 hours ago, zippi said:

+1 for the Krix Equinox.

Somewhat underrated - punch way above their compact-ish size. I'm constantly (positively) surprised by mine.

another +1 for the Equinox

They look great in the Jarrah finish. Gave them serious consideration some years ago, they absolutely stunned with the demo discs i used including Angelique Kidjo, and Sarah McLachlan.  And were only distinctly bettered by speakers at 2.0-2.5 times the RRP and deserve partnering with high quality amplification.

But $250 might be a stretch IMO.  There were some Mk IIIs i think sold a couple of months ago around $350 which was a steal too.

Cheers

Ticc.

Edited by 2Brix

the Monitor Audio Bronze has the widest frequency range, 42hz - 20 khz, are 

8 ohm and efficient at 90 db/w/m, and are front ported, i have a pair, they don't give away much to their big brothers the RS6's next to them, and amplifier friendly

Never heard the MA Bronze only seen it up close and seems to have a nice aluminium cone woofer and aesthetics and many good reviews.

The Mission 750 LE is very under rated so often sells cheaply around $200 and has a nice quality French Audax aerogel woofer with punch and the tweeter is surprisingly refined and clear at the price, much more so than MA speakers at the price. Pic below

FE1F761E-7987-4B8F-A742-31F0A3FE59DB.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 months later...
On 15/09/2020 at 11:05 AM, Ratbob said:

Not sure what style of music you listen to nor expected volume but keep in mind that many of the suggested speakers above are ported at the rear so they need open space behind them for best performance. Examples like the B&W 601 are front ported making placement easier. Nice speaker too. 

My music is anything from Nora Jones to Metallica. Volume is not too loud. I did end up getting Cambridge Audio s30s and Topping d30 DAC.  Music sourced via Surface Pro. Funny thing is i have only just stumbled on this thread. Must be confused and not looking in the right place to see all the responses. Applogies. I think I need an upgrade after seeing the responses. 

Wow!!!. I have only just stumbled on this. Must be confused and not looking in the right place to see all the responses. Applogies. I did end up getting Cambridge Audio s30s and Topping d30 DAC.  Music sourced via Surface Pro but after reading all the responses THANK YOU!!! I think I need an upgrade. I have some room acoustic treatment to attend to, ie. rug for hardwood floor and curtains then I will be "back in the game" (Mad Max 1)

On 15/09/2020 at 6:38 PM, Tweaky said:

Are these speakers going to be sitting on a desktop / cabinet at one end of the room, or can you put the bookshelves on separate stands ?

The results can be vastly different, so I think before any recommendation is taken seriously you should answer that question.

Also if any particular music type is favored, and max volume level you'll likely be running the speakers at would be great info to have.

Current setup below. Home made stands, to get the right height, with bunnings isolation pads. Includes a really old cheap Sansui SW100 running from B speaker output. Do you think I should get rid of the cabnet and invest in stands or should I go floor standing?

20201223_195109.jpg

Grab a pair of Lii Audio Silver 6 drivers,  some FJL panels and Zenith brackets from Bunnings. Some small rubber feet from eBay, some screws.

Cut the panels to the size you want,  cut a hole and install the drivers, brackets and rubber feet. Incredibly hard to beat at any price, though being small open baffles you'll need a sub.

This is a pair I made using Dayton PS220-8 drivers for mum and her husband. They sound far far better than anything has a right to for the cost.

A word of advice though.  Drill guide holes in the FJL panels for the screws or they tend to split.

20201012_162718.thumb.jpg.3af22ce985a9530fa488e402986ffd29.jpg20201012_162730.thumb.jpg.8b6c25f1736e9071a9a3fa396d6203da.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BRS said:

That's cool. I like these. I like to tinker a bit and have a budget i need to keep to. 

Nothing like enjoying something you built yourself either.  Especially when performance is excellent  ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BRS said:

Current setup below. Home made stands, to get the right height, with bunnings isolation pads. Includes a really old cheap Sansui SW100 running from B speaker output. Do you think I should get rid of the cabnet and invest in stands or should I go floor standing?

20201223_195109.jpg

Looks OK, as long as your not getting vibrations fed into the cabinet causing a hollow Drum like sound from it you should be good.

Isolating them on stands and vibration mounts should sort that.

Helps if the cabinet has a fare amount of stuff in it to give it some weight