yamaha CX-A5200 or Marantz AV-8805

hi everyone,

im currently in the process of building a HT/Audio room and am at a crossroads with which AV processor to go with.

the system so far comprises of:

KEF Reference Model 4 ( fronts)

KEF Reference Model 3 ( pair of them , wall wounted vertically in a custom bracket setup as centre)

KEF Reference Model 2 ( Rear)

B&W CCM684 x 2 pairs (front and rear atmos)

cusom built subwoofer utilising 4 x peerless XXLS 10" drivers

Emotiva XPA Gen 3 Multichannel amps x 3 for front/rear/centre all biamped and atmos non biamped

Yamaha MX1000 Power amp for sub duties ( maybe)

now im considering a processor to tie it all together, while both seem like quality units, im a little unsure of which way to go.

anyone have any insights to share?

The room correction on the Yamaha isn't in the same league as the Marantz, especially for bass EQ.

Rather than the 8805, consider the Marantz AV7705 or Anthem AVM60 (better room correction again).

With some argy bargy you should be able to get ~20% off RRP - try Klapp AV for Marantz, Clef Hifi for Marantz/Anthem.

Baldie man...also consider older.... anything av8802a to av7702mk2 onwards in marantz will honestly do... dont HAVE to spend the mega bucks the 8805 has somehow become .... keeping in mind while 8805 is getting an update it is now pretty much i would say middle aged and sure to be replaced once they figure out full bandwidth hdmi for 2.1 :) surely only a year or two away... 

if its just the one sub... could also still consider the yam and getting an outboard sub management thing....many choices...

• Like 1

The 7706 is about to drop.  You could also use preamp mode on the denon 8500 (having the power channels may make it easier to move on at a later date).

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/denon-avr-x8500h-avr-review.15266/

the same site was not kind to the 8805.  But lots like the 8805 so measurements are not everything

Just now, Steam said:

The 7706 is about to drop.  You could also use preamp mode on the denon 8500 (having the power channels may make it easier to move on at a later date).

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/denon-avr-x8500h-avr-review.15266/

the same site was not kind to the 8805.  But lots like the 8805 so measurements are not everything

the unfortunate thing with that site ... is the reviewer was corrected on denon AVR with what and how was measuring  by sound united parent of denon and marantz. And guess what when the reviewer actually followed their instructions he got different results that changed his measurements to point it moved the product from not recommended to recommended. that only brings into question all measurements of prior AVRS the site has done and will see regardless of brand and model theres hardly anything in the past that has managed a recommended ... any wonder why :D 

28 minutes ago, Quark said:

consider the Marantz AV7705 or Anthem AVM60 (better room correction again).

Is the room correction the only difference between these two?  I can't see much else in the spec sheets.  

Better room correction may be enough to sway me, still haven't bought my pre.  

22 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

Is the room correction the only difference between these two?  I can't see much else in the spec sheets.  

I honestly wouldn't buy just on room EQ. in anywise  audyssey xt32 is still up there in dual sub setup and eq. 

one area the denon/marantz has something well and truly  cornered and and sorted for years now is things like hdmi and usability.  

with regards audyssey you will see even our hyper critical friend thought in reviewing audyssey that its very close anyways to likes of dirac and anthem ARC anyway.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/audyssey-room-eq-review.12746/

"Conclusions
I came into this review expecting Audyssey to not perform. That was my experience and that of formal blind testing of it years back. The out of box results of this "XT32" version was better than I remembered. Still, using the App is mandatory to properly incorporate a target curve with more bass and removal of "BBC dip." Once there, I had no issues with its performance and I think it comes very close to advanced solutions like Dirac and Anthem ARC.

I am happy to recommend Audyssey XT32 with use of Denon/Marantz app to customize it."

note the app is necessary to give ability to remove mid range compensation (bbc dip) as we could also do with the pro kit.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

Having heard XT32 and ARC, they seem very close on bass EQ (once you bump up the bass level, as Audyssey always sets it ~3dB low), but clearer midrange on the ARC setups I've heard.

I'm also influenced by the ridiculous price increases Qualifi has made to local Marantz pricing, whereas local Anthem pricing has come way down from the earlier (overpriced IMO) D2V processors.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Quark said:

Having heard XT32 and ARC, they seem very close on bass EQ (once you bump up the bass level, as Audyssey always sets it ~3dB low), but clearer midrange on the ARC setups I've heard.

I'm also influenced by the ridiculous price increases Qualifi has made to local Marantz pricing, whereas local Anthem pricing has come way down from the earlier (overpriced IMO) D2V processors.

A good part of anthem pricing due to made in Vietnam :) the d2v was made in Canada 

agree re crazy pricing on marantz and denon, good way around is run out ex demo, second hand or score a pre order deal. 

Not sure re pricing with many pre pros look at these days. Pricing gone to nuts. The nad master series is a $10k thing ! Nothing cheaper in pre pro in their range ! Nad was a budget brand once :D

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Quark said:

with mid range... you 100% on audyssey will find that lacking... because of the bbc dip or (mid range compensation that audyssey runs as standard)

was one of the 1st thing i do with audyssey pro is untick that mid range compensation ...something have to do with app as well with the denon and marantz gear now :) 

eg see below screen shot from the web... this is audyssey pro...but the app gives same thing. untick that mid range compensation and that midrange dip will no longer be targeted... and hence removed...

Screen Shot 2020-09-13 at 12.32.16 pm.png

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Kdjjdk Will said:

Does anyone remember what the av8805 marantz was priced when it was first released in Australia ?

another couple a years and qualify will price it like a Lyngdorf :)

I dont know ...but i know this much a av8802a was a $6.5k thing on release... folks obviously pay less than sticker price... not sure how 8805 has ended up being the $8k thing it is these days..

as i mentioned above....all pre pros have climbed significantly ... a lyngdorf is some $23 k... I cant expect a 8500 would ever cost that.

however the rrp list for a denon avp-a1 back in the day i am sure was some $15k or thereabouts ... so it wouldn't be unexpected for a true flagship denon/marantz to be something in that ball park even today ! 

• Like 1

and here you go... a 7704... no need to spend $8k :D on a 8805 ...

yes not a an 8 series processor but also quite a bargain at $2k ! 

will do all throw at it from all media and sources....

https://www.qualifi.com.au/media_content/media/Marantz AV7704.pdf

• Like 1
  • Love 1

21 hours ago, betty boop said:

and here you go... a 7704... no need to spend $8k :D on a 8805 ...

yes not a an 8 series processor but also quite a bargain at $2k ! 

will do all throw at it from all media and sources....

https://www.qualifi.com.au/media_content/media/Marantz AV7704.pdf

How did I miss this? I religiously check the classifieds and missed this...probably no use to me as I'm in VIC anyway.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/09/2020 at 12:24 PM, betty boop said:

A good part of anthem pricing due to made in Vietnam :) the d2v was made in Canada 

agree re crazy pricing on marantz and denon, good way around is run out ex demo, second hand or score a pre order deal. 

Not sure re pricing with many pre pros look at these days. Pricing gone to nuts. The nad master series is a $10k thing ! Nothing cheaper in pre pro in their range ! Nad was a budget brand once :D

But we have been assured by the federal reserve , the  RBA , Bank of England and the European Central Bank that a decade of relentless money printing has not led to inflation

million dollar houses and $10,000 pre pros must be in your imagination

• 1 month later...

I got my 8805 through Richard at OZ Theatre Screens and it was a very good price. I’m not going to say specifically what it was but it was way, way below the $8k retail price. 

I was a life long Yamaha owner until the guy I buy Yamaha from recommended the then 8802a instead of the Yamaha 5100. 

I can’t go back to Yamaha now. The Marantz was silky smooth in comparison. Listening to music was far less tiring for longer listening periods and there was a sense of airiness that the Yamahas could never achieve. 

Granted, I went from a top of the line Yamaha receiver to a top of the line separates Marantz processor and 11 channels of Elektra power amplification. So I was always going to see an improvement over what I had. But I believe the DACs and circuitry in the Marantz is a notch up from the Yamaha. 

Got my 8805 sitting here waiting for my new amps to arrive!

• Like 2

On 13/09/2020 at 12:33 PM, betty boop said:

with mid range... you 100% on audyssey will find that lacking... because of the bbc dip or (mid range compensation that audyssey runs as standard)

was one of the 1st thing i do with audyssey pro is untick that mid range compensation ...something have to do with app as well with the denon and marantz gear now :) 

eg see below screen shot from the web... this is audyssey pro...but the app gives same thing. untick that mid range compensation and that midrange dip will no longer be targeted... and hence removed...

Well I finally got around to getting the Audyssey app, re-running the set-up and turning off the default mid-range compensation as suggested. This has been a revelation, with much clearer vocals I'm listening at lower levels and it still sounds louder. Maybe it's just my old ears have too much of a mid-range "notch" but I'm wondering WTF Audyssey has the default mid-range dip for.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 05/11/2020 at 12:18 PM, Quark said:

Well I finally got around to getting the Audyssey app, re-running the set-up and turning off the default mid-range compensation as suggested. This has been a revelation, with much clearer vocals I'm listening at lower levels and it still sounds louder. Maybe it's just my old ears have too much of a mid-range "notch" but I'm wondering WTF Audyssey has the default mid-range dip for.

Well done. I have also adjusted the curves to give an even flatter response and the results are certainly better.

I see a lot of recommendations to leave Audyssey's measurements alone. I'd recommend saving them so you can go back if necessary and then change them to the exact physical distances.  If there is no improvement or the sound is worse, then go back, although I'd be very surprised if it was necessary.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PedroEB said:

I see a lot of recommendations to leave Audyssey's measurements alone. I'd recommend saving them so you can go back if necessary and then change them to the exact physical distances.  If there is no improvement or the sound is worse, then go back, although I'd be very surprised if it was necessary.

certainly with the app there is all the flexibility of customising, so nothing stopping. if want you can also store two separate presets... eg you could set one for music and one for HT :) and then select either off the app :) 

its explained well in the audyssey sound united youtube series by Phil jones :)