markm1111

Dire Straits Mofi 45 rpm vs 2020 8 plus box set

@metal beat

Being a bit of a vinyl novice here, I don't want to upset my elders!!

Edited by pine weasel

Just now, pine weasel said:

Being a bit of a vinyl novice here, I don't want to upset my elders!!

LOL.  I think you have already upset Keith calling him an elder  😉 🤣

15 minutes ago, stevoz said:

The comparison I'd be most interested in is the Oz Maxicut of "Love Over Gold' vs the Mofo 45rpm of the same album (when it arrives). B|

I think that may the album that will benefit most from the Mofi treatment, as well as having a beautifully quiet pressing.

It’s a little unfair to compare digital to vinyl, when the thread is about vinyl, a bit of a cop out to be honest. Scuzii John I’m happy to pay postage to Metal beat so we can have a honest comparison about SQ and I’ll pay postage back. Looking forward to hearing the results.

38 minutes ago, stand said:

It’s a little unfair to compare digital to vinyl, when the thread is about vinyl, a bit of a cop out to be honest. Scuzii John I’m happy to pay postage to Metal beat so we can have a honest comparison about SQ and I’ll pay postage back. Looking forward to hearing the results.

hi Stan,

no need mate, Shane and I know each other.  I can get the albums to him without cost mate - but thanks for the offer.  

John

7 hours ago, stevoz said:

Hang in there Keith! B|:P

He also says at the end of his quote, "I never did that.", ie: he never mastered 45's and 33's differently.....which means when he compared his dual speed masterings, the only difference he noticed was that the 45's were a bit louder and that neither sound better or even different to the other.

You are right to highlight his comment that you can't compare different masterings to judge 45rpm v 33rpm LP's and I think everyone would agree with that assertion but Hoffman is comparing identical masterings at the two speeds.....indicating his comparison is viable as is his conclusion/opinion.

In answer to your final question.....the answer would most likely be yes but it's a moot point when one considers the above.

Personally, I don't have a strong personal opinion on this subject.....I love my 45rpm "So" (Peter Gabriel) but it annoys me when I have to get up to change sides so quickly and apparently there is a 33rpm version of that album with the same half speed mastering. Would be interesting to do the 'Hoffman' comparison......but I am not rushing out to buy the 33rpm version any time soon!

As I said earlier, it's a fascinating conversation.....but maybe have a strong coffee now!xD

I don't know, it's probably an age thing on my behalf, but I must be missing something that everyone else is seeing.................that would not be unusual either BTW!xD

I'm aware Hoffman stated that he never did that with his mastering of the same 45 and 33 pressings and in that case, he is saying that the only noticeable difference would be the possible increase in loudness. If the masterings are by different individuals, I read his comment as meaning that there could be a difference in the end result and hence, I asked my final question you mentioned. If the original 33 rpm pressings were mastered differently to the MoFi DS 45rpm pressings and mastered by different individuals, why would it then be a moot point?

No strong coffee after my post this morning, but a long drive down to the Central Coast and spent the day with the grandchildren. Hasn't really changed my thinking on this by being away all day though, but as I said, I'm probably missing something obvious here that I hope someone will point out to me soon!!xD

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by cheekyboy

6 hours ago, metal beat said:

- as we know digital suks 😊

It certainly does.:thumb: By comparison of course.xD

5 hours ago, metal beat said:

LOL.  I think you have already upset Keith calling him an elder  😉 🤣

I didn't think Suresh @pine weasel was referring to me, was he?:tongue: