Dire Straits Mofi 45 rpm vs 2020 8 plus box set

It’s a little unfair to compare digital to vinyl, when the thread is about vinyl, a bit of a cop out to be honest. Scuzii John I’m happy to pay postage to Metal beat so we can have a honest comparison about SQ and I’ll pay postage back. Looking forward to hearing the results.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, stand said:

It’s a little unfair to compare digital to vinyl, when the thread is about vinyl, a bit of a cop out to be honest. Scuzii John I’m happy to pay postage to Metal beat so we can have a honest comparison about SQ and I’ll pay postage back. Looking forward to hearing the results.

hi Stan,

no need mate, Shane and I know each other.  I can get the albums to him without cost mate - but thanks for the offer.  

John

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stevoz said:

Hang in there Keith! B|:P

He also says at the end of his quote, "I never did that.", ie: he never mastered 45's and 33's differently.....which means when he compared his dual speed masterings, the only difference he noticed was that the 45's were a bit louder and that neither sound better or even different to the other.

You are right to highlight his comment that you can't compare different masterings to judge 45rpm v 33rpm LP's and I think everyone would agree with that assertion but Hoffman is comparing identical masterings at the two speeds.....indicating his comparison is viable as is his conclusion/opinion.

In answer to your final question.....the answer would most likely be yes but it's a moot point when one considers the above.

Personally, I don't have a strong personal opinion on this subject.....I love my 45rpm "So" (Peter Gabriel) but it annoys me when I have to get up to change sides so quickly and apparently there is a 33rpm version of that album with the same half speed mastering. Would be interesting to do the 'Hoffman' comparison......but I am not rushing out to buy the 33rpm version any time soon!

As I said earlier, it's a fascinating conversation.....but maybe have a strong coffee now!xD

I don't know, it's probably an age thing on my behalf, but I must be missing something that everyone else is seeing.................that would not be unusual either BTW!xD

I'm aware Hoffman stated that he never did that with his mastering of the same 45 and 33 pressings and in that case, he is saying that the only noticeable difference would be the possible increase in loudness. If the masterings are by different individuals, I read his comment as meaning that there could be a difference in the end result and hence, I asked my final question you mentioned. If the original 33 rpm pressings were mastered differently to the MoFi DS 45rpm pressings and mastered by different individuals, why would it then be a moot point?

No strong coffee after my post this morning, but a long drive down to the Central Coast and spent the day with the grandchildren. Hasn't really changed my thinking on this by being away all day though, but as I said, I'm probably missing something obvious here that I hope someone will point out to me soon!!xD

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by cheekyboy
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 14/09/2020 at 11:22 PM, davidSun said:

I have 3 records from 80s (Love over gold, Brothers in arms, self titled) 1 MOFI (Making movies) and 2 recent 33rpm records (Communique, On every street). 
I love the 80s records. New 33 rpm records sound great too. mofi overrated I think. Buy the records that fit your budget and enjoy. 

11916067-8315-4D45-865B-E70E51AC2657.jpeg

On 26/12/2020 at 9:38 AM, davidSun said:

I played the MOFI Making Movies LP last night. I must say I have erred with my earlier comments about MOFI being overrated. There is plenty of detail in the music and it's so entertaining. I finally fixed some problems with the way my turntables are setup and even with a modest cartridge (2M red), it sounds absolutely sensational. 

Edited by davidSun
grammar
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

I recently bought the new 2019 press of Making Movies and 2020 presses of Brothers In Arms from JB. They've been pressed at MPO vs the original set that were pressed at GZ, and they sound INCREDIBLE. Better than anything in my entire collection. And only $35 for Making Movies single LP, $48 for Brothers double LP.

If the Mofi ones are better then they'd have to be mind blowingly good.

https://www.discogs.com/Dire-Straits-Brothers-In-Arms/release/15687665

https://www.discogs.com/Dire-Straits-Making-Movies/release/15626497

The sound of *most Dire Straits albums is very good so it is a bit hard to make a pressing that is shite.
(*I cannot say all of them because I have not heard all of them)

For example I have a stock standard 1985 Australian LP of Brothers In Arms and I paid about $15 for it. Do not know where it was pressed. No info about that on Discogs.
It sounds very good and if you did not compare it to anything else you would be very happy with it.

But being the nutter I am I threw down the bucks for the Mofi 45RPM version and it kills the 1985 version.

To go in the other direction, the worst version of Brothers in Arms I have ever heard has to be the 2005 20th anniversary hybrid SACD. Talk about killing the dynamics!!!

Wave form comparison of track 1 from BIA.

Top is the 2005 SACD and the bottom is the 1985 John Dent CD.
2050700306_loudnesscompression1985vs2005.jpg.108feb1fb380428d5144f61b4745c918.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Andrew1984 said:

I recently bought the new 2019 press of Making Movies and 2020 presses of Brothers In Arms from JB. They've been pressed at MPO vs the original set that were pressed at GZ, and they sound INCREDIBLE. Better than anything in my entire collection. And only $35 for Making Movies single LP, $48 for Brothers double LP.

If the Mofi ones are better then they'd have to be mind blowingly good.

I got the same BIA at JB a few weeks ago. I agree, it is very very good.....?

54 minutes ago, rockpig said:

To go in the other direction, the worst version of Brothers in Arms I have ever heard has to be the 2005 20th anniversary hybrid SACD. Talk about killing the dynamics!!!

I have that SACD.....surely you are talking about the stereo mix?:ermm:

Because I find the dynamics of the 5 channel mix mindblowing! One of my Top 10 listening experiences.?

1 hour ago, rockpig said:

The sound of *most Dire Straits albums is very good so it is a bit hard to make a pressing that is shite.
(*I cannot say all of them because I have not heard all of them)

For example I have a stock standard 1985 Australian LP of Brothers In Arms and I paid about $15 for it. Do not know where it was pressed. No info about that on Discogs.
It sounds very good and if you did not compare it to anything else you would be very happy with it.

But being the nutter I am I threw down the bucks for the Mofi 45RPM version and it kills the 1985 version.

Wave form comparison of track 1 from BIA.

Top is the 2005 SACD and the bottom is the 1985 John Dent CD.
2050700306_loudnesscompression1985vs2005.jpg.108feb1fb380428d5144f61b4745c918.jpg

This very my original aus version is like night and day. Albeit my Aussie one isn't in the greatest nick

I'm now on the hunt for a 'definitive' copy of On Every Street on vinyl. I have an original '91 copy that is noisy as heck, which from reports is not uncommon. 

Anyone have a Back to Back 2014 press copy? If so, how do you rate it? 

To roughly guote someone off Discogs, there are no bad DS masters, just pressings.. 

5 minutes ago, Jebediah said:

I'm now on the hunt for a 'definitive' copy of On Every Street on vinyl. I have an original '91 copy that is noisy as heck, which from reports is not uncommon. 

To roughly guote someone off Discogs, there are no bad DS masters, just pressings.. 

Mine is the back to Black but 2020 which is better. Same plates just better pressing. MPO vs gz. You can buy at good retail now cheap. Just look for the red sticker that says mastered by Bernie from original analogue 

4 minutes ago, Andrew1984 said:

Mine is the back to Black but 2020 which is better. Same plates just better pressing. MPO vs gz. You can buy at good retail now cheap. Just look for the red sticker that says mastered by Bernie from original analogue 

Thanks. I did read some of the Discogs reviews of the 2020 reissue which the negative comments suggest quality control was a bit hit and miss

2 minutes ago, Jebediah said:

Thanks. I did read some of the Discogs reviews of the 2020 reissue which the negative comments suggest quality control was a bit hit and miss

These are the ones you want 

27 minutes ago, Andrew1984 said:

Sorry, should have been more specific, I have the lates MOFI releases, so just chasing the best version of On Every Street now.

This latest version seems to be a bit noisy, from the comments given....

https://www.discogs.com/Dire-Straits-On-Every-Street/release/17051211

11 minutes ago, Jebediah said:

Sorry, should have been more specific, I have the lates MOFI releases, so just chasing the best version of On Every Street now.

This latest version seems to be a bit noisy, from the comments given....

https://www.discogs.com/Dire-Straits-On-Every-Street/release/17051211

You want the ones mastered by Bob and printed at MPO. They released all albums so you can get Easy Street too

23 minutes ago, Andrew1984 said:

You want the ones mastered by Bob and printed at MPO. They released all albums so you can get Easy Street too

I think this is version and they have on sale and also a 15 percent after pay discount sale too and in stock in Aus. Mentions Bob's mastering anyway.

https://www.vinyl.com.au/dire-straits-on-every-street-180g-vinyl-download-c

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Eagleeyes said:

I think this is version and they have on sale and also a 15 percent after pay discount sale too and in stock in Aus. Mentions Bob's mastering anyway.

https://www.vinyl.com.au/dire-straits-on-every-street-180g-vinyl-download-c

It has a big red label too if you're buying in store

2 hours ago, Jebediah said:

I have a first pressing as well as the back to black pressing. This is one of the rare occurrences (IMO) where the CD sounds better than the LP. The vocals on the Back To Black pressing sounds nasally. Listen to Iron Hand on both formats and its brutally apparent.

Edited by kelossus

14 hours ago, kelossus said:

I have a first pressing as well as the back to black pressing. This is one of the rare occurrences IMO where the CD sounds better than the LP. The vocals on the Back To Black pressing sound a bit nasally. Listen to Iron Hand on both formats and its brutally apparent.

Interesting comment Chris, not one I've heard yet re the B2B reissue. I've got the original CD from 91 the first week of release, so perhaps I should dig that out once I get the record delivered and do an A-B comparison like you have. 

Thanks for the heads up.

Edited by Jebediah