Dire Straits Mofi 45 rpm vs 2020 8 plus box set

I couldn’t find a thread on this, so apologies if it has been covered. The upcoming re-release of the studio album box set on 180gm vinyl got me thinking. Rough price landed is $290 for 6 albums (BIA and OES as doubles) , vs over $500 For the first 5 albums in 45 rpm from Mofi. The 180gm vinyl is a repress so quality is an unknown at the moment, but how was the last pressing?

Any thoughts or info from anyone on what might be the better purchase?

Easy decision @markm1111, get the 45rpm Mofi set. :) 

I've got four of them and they are extremely good and definitely worth getting.

The Mofi Dire Straits album even managed to top a early half speed master version I have which is stunning.

I haven't heard the studio box set but being standard 33rpm 180 gram represses I imagine they'll probably be good but nothing special.

• Like 3

As a Dire Straits fan, shouldn't you get every release? 

I bought the MoFi's and they sound amazing. They need to release On Every Street to complete the studio set. 

I had no idea that they had another box set had come out. I might check it out. 

• Like 5

Just now, Tubularbells said:

Ive also been curious having the originals as well a the reissues. Wondering if the sonic advantage of the Mofi's is worth the coin.

in my opinion mate, they are.  One of the better Mofi releases (outside the one-step)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dolphy said:

As a Dire Straits fan, shouldn't you get every release? 

I bought the MoFi's and they sound amazing. They need to release On Every Street to complete the studio set. 

I had no idea that they had another box set had come out. I might check it out. 

On pre release currently, comes out next month. 

• Like 2

I have the first UK pressings of Self Titled, Communique, Love Over Gold and On Every Street. The MFSL reissues do better the originals and the later Pallas reissues which I also have.

To be honest I don't think there is a bad master of any album in their catalogue, on vinyl at least. If you're not a massive fan just purchase the new reissues. They are good enough. If you want that last 20% and aren't afraid to spend the coin. MFSL for the win.

On Every Street really needs a MOFI reissue but I don't think it will happen.

Edited by kelossus
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, candyflip said:

Pity about them being over 2LP each though, and 2 songs a side (or only 1, in the case of 'Love Over Gold').

Pain in the arse.

It's why I moved on my Marvin Gaye One Step - that album should NEVER be more than 1LP long.

Have to agree. Sometimes you just get used to the flow of an album and interrupting it just ain’t right. 

• Like 5

I used to have a rule when I started to buy vinyl that if a single album went into two records, I wouldn’t buy it. It has gone out door these days, but I still think there has to be a pretty good reason for something that was originally released as a double sided 33, and tracked accordingly, to be stretched out to four sides. The Dire Straights issues might it- better sound but interrupted enjoyment. (Most people I know think I am insane to be getting up once per album, let alone three times!)

Edited by Juzbear
  • Like 1

Does anyone know where they will be cut? GZ media did the last lot with varying outcomes.

For me the Pallas pressings are the ones to look for if you want single records of Dire Straits. They are stunning.. I have the Mofis as well. 

• Like 1

This may be a long shot.....but has anyone got both the first or third Australian issue of Love Over Gold (or the original test pressing), which were EMI Studio 301 Maxicuts (the second 'official' Oz release was not).....AND the Mofi of the same album. If so, how do they compare? 

The Oz Maxicut of Love Over Gold is, by all accounts, outstanding.

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 1

I have both the Mercury boxset and the 5 45rpm mofi reissues.

I'll say it again and again, the mofi are every bit inferior even though they are 45rpm. Their source lineage is dodgy. At best, they're only taken from us masters, you can hear it the way mark knofler's voice is reproduced, they are not in  the same league as the UK original masters.

• Like 2

Have had the house to myself today.

So it’s Dire Straits Mofi day?
Purchased earlier this year, but first time out of their sealed plastic.
Exciting,but my BIA has a factory built in skip on walk of life ??

Absoutely gutted

50 minutes ago, stevoz said:

This may be a long shot.....but has anyone got both the first or third Australian issue of Love Over Gold (or the original test pressing), which were EMI Studio 301 Maxicuts (the second 'official' Oz release was not).....AND the Mofi of the same album. If so, how do they compare? 

The Oz Maxicut of Love Over Gold is, by all accounts, outstanding.

The Maxicut AU pressing is better than the UK original IMO. However, out of all the MFSL reissues the Love Over Gold LP has benefited the most. The Pallas reissue of Love Over Gold is the worst of the bunch.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, joz said:

Have had the house to myself today.

So it’s Dire Straits Mofi day?
Purchased earlier this year, but first time out of their sealed plastic.
Exciting,but my BIA has a factory built in skip on walk of life ??

Absoutely gutted

Bummer Joe, 

Must be some bad karma!

I had exactly the same track damaged after sitting the LP on top of the speaker and the heavy bass caused it to fall off and clip the shelf on the way down!

Amazingly that was when you dropped in for a brief listen!! ?

Tell me - what's your secret for me getting rid of the family for the day??

I can't figure out a way to do it! ?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, scuzzii said:

i can spin both for you today, Mark.  I have some of the reissues and the latest Mofi.

nudge nudge :D how did you find it scuzzi  :) be great to hear if have the chance. been wondering about this mofi set myself. ive only got some old scungi ones of no particular repute :D 

14 minutes ago, betty boop said:

nudge nudge :D how did you find it scuzzi  :) be great to hear if have the chance. been wondering about this mofi set myself. ive only got some old scungi ones of no particular repute :D 

Mofi sounded superb! Telegraph Road crescendo on Mofi you can hear every instrument, no blending. Thanks @scuzzii

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, markm1111 said:

Mofi sounded superb! Telegraph Road crescendo on Mofi you can hear every instrument, no blending. Thanks @scuzzii

oh gee...my credit card just groaned :D 

so what is best place to get the set ? :)  TIA

much thanks @scuzzii and Mark for posting back ! 

ps must remember to not be playing walk of life with either @evil c or @joz in the room :D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, betty boop said:

oh gee...my credit card just groaned :D 

so what is best place to get the set ? :)  TIA

much thanks @scuzzii and Mark for posting back ! 

ps must remember to not be playing walk of life with either @evil c or @joz in the room :D 

Already have another copy of The MOFI BIA - al !?

Have an almost "perfect" older copy if you need it. ?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, candyflip said:

Pity about them being over 2LP each though, and 2 songs a side (or only 1, in the case of 'Love Over Gold').

Pain in the arse.

It's why I moved on my Marvin Gaye One Step - that album should NEVER be more than 1LP long.

absolutely.  ruins the flow of the album a lot of the time.     

But, if they are your fav band or one of you fav album, I can see why people buy them.    One of my fav albums is KICK by INXS - the half speed mastered 45rpm sounds amazing, however I would probably not fork out for any of their other albums if the same treatment was given.

• Like 1