Couple of problems.

unclemack

I finally set up my A 7300 today and it played back a couple of tapes I have perfectly. Problems started when I tried to record. My first attempt resulted in no recorded material. I should have known because the signal on source monitoring came through loud and clear but on tape monitoring, nothing. Now, I’ve been fiddling with it and for some reason, it started recording but one channel is down. So, after a couple of hours of stuffing about, I’ve given up. A couple of things came to light. Perhaps I hadn’t threaded the tape correctly. I think I’ve sorted that. I also assumed that on record/ pause, I’d still get the VU meters to respond in tape monitor mode but, no, the meters only come to life when I press play. Is this right? Anyway I’ve attached a couple of vids and pics so if anyone has any hints or tips, I’d love to hear them. I think though, it’s going to have to go to the shop for a thorough bollocking.  Well, no video is allowed apparently. Sorry. 

0AE7B122-D925-4639-AFD9-4781C6E91694.jpeg

59B6F89C-D037-4FB5-B638-91B45E8CD627.jpeg

17 minutes ago, t_mike said:

Is that redness some shedding from the tape, and if so, how long has it taken to get that way? Was everything clean when you started?

if you are refering to the red blobs on the record and play heads it is a security type glue, a bit like locktite,to keep everything aligned.

1 hour ago, ray4410 said:

if you are refering to the red blobs on the record and play heads it is a security type glue, a bit like locktite,to keep everything aligned.

No. I was looking at the rusty coloured residue on the boss near the pinch rollers. Sticky shedding?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, t_mike said:

No. I was looking at the rusty coloured residue on the boss near the pinch rollers. Sticky shedding?

That was like that when I got the machine about 4 years ago  

On 12/9/2020 at 11:21 AM, ray4410 said:

hifi engine have both users manual and service manual available online.

I have all the manuals, service and user, schematics etc  but Im not going to delve too deep as I have no idea what Im doing

On 12/9/2020 at 11:13 AM, ray4410 said:

hey uncle can you post some pics of the whole front of the deck showing the complete tape path.

I'll post a couple once they've uploaded to my Mac

By the way, whats the verdict as to Tape monitoring on pause? If you can't monitor while the machine is paused, how do you set record levels? 

Edited by unclemack

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/09/2020 at 1:45 PM, unclemack said:

...By the way, whats the verdict as to Tape monitoring on pause? If you can't monitor while the machine is paused, how do you set record levels?

I would expect the levels to show when it's on pause (but I'm not familiar with that machine). 

This use would probably be explained in the user manual. 

Good luck resolving the problems.

Edited by audiofeline

On 11/09/2020 at 10:16 PM, unclemack said:

I also assumed that on record/ pause, I’d still get the VU meters to respond in tape monitor mode but, no, the meters only come to life when I press play. Is this right?

meters will only work if tape is running and something is on it in tape mode. so all seems ok there. on this one you have to arm both channels to allow recording which I assume you have done. If no recording on one channel but signal on that channel when in source mode its probably the record arming switch for that channel, flick it up and down a lot to see if you can get it to work or use a bit of contact lubicant on it and flick. hopefully thats all it is.

Okay, one assumes you have cleaned the record head with a cotton tip dipped in iso alcohol and it's clean and that playback of an existing tape is okay.

Check that the record head has bias signal present.  100kHz signal on the record heads and erase heads

If no bias signal is present the fault may possibly be on the BIAS UNIT board.  Check that the power to the board is correct.  You should read approximately +23.8 volts on pin 13 with respect to the 0 volt rail which is pin 7.

Whilst you've got the back off check that the REC AMPL UNIT board has power too.  +23.8 volts on pins 6 and 9 with respect to the 0 volt (ground rail on pins 7 and 8.

The erase and record heads connect to the electronics via a 9 pin jack and socket arrangement P712 / J712.  It's a possibility the contacts may not be in the best condition.  Unplug and inspect the pins and the socket.  Clean with DeOxit or similar.

The TEAC A7300 is a complicated machine with lots of moving contacts, switches and relays. Any of which may be contributing to the problem.

Cheers,

Alan R.

Edited by Monkeyboi
added line