Headphone amp with two ins, one out, no dac

I’m hoping someone here can suggest a headphone amp for me that has two switchable, single ended analogue inputs and one line level (not variable) output for my main rig. I initially thought it would be easy to find but I can’t find any.

Headphones are currently B&0 H6 which I think are 32 ohms. It doesn’t have to be amazing but I would like the option to upgrade the cans at some point so a bit of versatility might help. Budget could be anywhere from 200-500 so not crazy and I’m open to 2nd hand if anyone knows of one that’s out of production. Happy to buy chi-fi and I’m even open to doing it myself, as long as it doesn’t require an electrical engineering degree (or the ability to read a circuit diagram :) )

Thanks in advance!

Sort of sounds like you just want a RCA switch for the most part. Headphone amps that have an output generally its for use as a Preamp, not a straight up pass through. So the volume knob will effect it. You seem to want a headphone amp, switchable inputs, and a fixed line level ouput (basically a passthrough, acting as switch), where the volume only controls the headphone section. First thought is that might be hard to find...

Schiit Magnius for example. Has RCA in, XLR in (even if you use adapters, thats two ins) and same again as outputs (RCA and XLR). But the volume controls all, as thats how people use it mostly. Single Amp/Preamp box for headphones and their powered speakers/active monitors etc.

Whats your full set up? Surely a basic switch and a neat little headphone amp as two separate devices could work?

18 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Sort of sounds like you just want a RCA switch for the most part. Headphone amps that have an output generally its for use as a Preamp, not a straight up pass through. So the volume knob will effect it. You seem to want a headphone amp, switchable inputs, and a fixed line level ouput (basically a passthrough, acting as switch), where the volume only controls the headphone section. First thought is that might be hard to find...

Schiit Magnius for example. Has RCA in, XLR in (even if you use adapters, thats two ins) and same again as outputs (RCA and XLR). But the volume controls all, as thats how people use it mostly. Single Amp/Preamp box for headphones and their powered speakers/active monitors etc.

Whats your full set up? Surely a basic switch and a neat little headphone amp as two separate devices could work?

Thanks, I get what you mean. 

Setup will be an integrated amp with 3 SE and 1 bal in and speaker outs, no pre or record outputs, a streamer into a Klein 3 dac which has 1 SE and 1 bal out and a turntable. The idea is to run bal from the Klein to the amp and SE from the Klein to the  head amp while at the same time running the TT into the head amp then passing through to the int amp.

Confusing. No?

The problem is the lack of outs on the int amp and the fact that I want to be able to listen to records through the cans, otherwise I’d just get a dac with a headphone amp and be done

I’d be grateful for any other suggestions. The amp is arriving next week and I dont have the dac yet either so it’s not urgent but solving this will contribute to whether the amp will suit me long term

Edited by RankStranger

8 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Phono with two outs? One to a headphone amp, other to the integrated.

Headphone amp just has two inputs, one from TT and one from Klien?

That would work but it would involve me buying both a phono with two outs (I use the one built in to the deck but it’s defeatable) and a head amp and I don’t know of any with two outputs

7 minutes ago, scuzzii said:

@cheekyboy

I use a Graham Slee and it has two inputs, no DAC, one output

https://www.wyndhamaudio.com.au/products/gsp-audio-solo-ultra-linear-deiamond-edition-headphone-amp

Looks cool but unless I’m missing something, the only output is the headphone one?

Would you consider tube amps? I know there are some around with two singled ended inputs, and a pass through, to allow them to sit between source and pre amp or integrated. Most slid state amps I am aware of have a  variable output rather than a pass through.

1 minute ago, markm1111 said:

Would you consider tube amps? I know there are some around with two singled ended inputs, and a pass through, to allow them to sit between source and pre amp or integrated. Most slid state amps I am aware of have a  variable output rather than a pass through.

Absolutely. If there was one in the price range. Are you thinking of any in particular?

2 minutes ago, markm1111 said:

Try this one out. Single ended and balanced input, single ended pass through. I ahven't heard one, but they do get good reviews on headfi

https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-alex-cavalli-liquid-carbon-x-amp#overview

Price is right too

Looks good. Thanks, I’ll check it out

Its much easier to find multiple XLR input head amps like the Benchmark HPA4. I believe that has 3 XLR inputs. 

Not many single-ended head amps out there. Most have XLR input. Even rarer to find multiple input, especially in single-ended guise. 

As the other's have suggested, some sort of RCA switch would do the trick. 

• Like 1

Looks like the topping a90 will do it too with two selectable inputs (1 bal/1 SE) and the ability to set the output to fixed. Too expensive new but may start to come up 2nd hand in budget. 

thanks for the input, guys. Looks like there’s at least a couple of options on the table :) 

On 11/09/2020 at 2:35 PM, RankStranger said:

I’m hoping someone here can suggest a headphone amp for me that has two switchable, single ended analogue inputs and one line level (not variable) output for my main rig. I initially thought it would be easy to find but I can’t find any.

Headphones are currently B&0 H6 which I think are 32 ohms. It doesn’t have to be amazing but I would like the option to upgrade the cans at some point so a bit of versatility might help. Budget could be anywhere from 200-500 so not crazy and I’m open to 2nd hand if anyone knows of one that’s out of production. Happy to buy chi-fi and I’m even open to doing it myself, as long as it doesn’t require an electrical engineering degree (or the ability to read a circuit diagram :) )

Thanks in advance!

doesnt your main rig have a tape out or something  ? thats all most folk use ? 

otherwise luxman ? 3 inputs.... 2 bal, one line level (not sure if there is an older model or s/h going in budget...)

http://www.luxman.com/product/detail.php?id=7

eg seems to be a p200 thats a refurb at audio active and its got two inputs but double your minimum price...

@Tassie Devil wondering if you know of any options as seem to have explored a few headphone amps ...

9 minutes ago, betty boop said:

doesnt your main rig have a tape out or something  ? thats all most folk use ? 

otherwise luxman ? 3 inputs.... 2 bal, one line level (not sure if there is an older model or s/h going in budget...)

http://www.luxman.com/product/detail.php?id=7

@Tassie Devil wondering if you know of any options as seem to have explored a few headphone amps ...

Looks lovely but way above budget. My new-to-me amp (Kinki EX-M1) arriving next week has no tape or pre outs. 

I don’t need anything that high-end anyway. My headphones aren’t that hard to drive or probably good enough to warrant it.

The cavalli one for $300ish shipped is probably the most likely option but I’ll see how I go living with the amp for a bit first and keep an eye on the classifieds in the meantime

Edited by RankStranger