Anyone use Whisky Rocks & Stainless Cubes?

Anyone use Rocks or SS cubes with Whisky? Or do you just chill your glass in fridge? 

I'm entertaining the idea, instead of using ice and watering down that liquid gold taste! 

I guess i can just rechill the glass quickly with iced water between multiple drinks?

IMG_20200911_092526.jpg.312fccf95f4c1e8d83ca7e13f86c4cda.jpgIMG_20200911_092601.jpg.581bd3a1b65ed3a705cb5a99423fe614.jpg

3 hours ago, Mushroom01 said:

Anyone use Rocks or SS cubes with Whisky? Or do you just chill your glass in fridge? 

I'm entertaining the idea, instead of using ice and watering down that liquid gold taste! 

I guess i can just rechill the glass quickly with iced water between multiple drinks?

IMG_20200911_092526.jpg.312fccf95f4c1e8d83ca7e13f86c4cda.jpgIMG_20200911_092601.jpg.581bd3a1b65ed3a705cb5a99423fe614.jpg

I have some, but I don't use them. Not for whisky, anyway. Basically, your ideal whisky temperature is around 15-20 degrees. Lower and you'll lose most of the flavour. Higher and you'll start getting a huge hit of alcohol which will mask the flavour (which is incidentally why you drink it using a stemmed glass and hold it by the stem - to avoid heating the alcohol).

I do have an eyedropper to add water - from a bottle of really nice spring water that I keep in the fridge (depends on what's around when I need to buy one). You generally won't need much, but it can improve you ability to discern flavours as the alcohol level drops.

I use my (stone) cubes in things like high alcohol spirits. Centerbe runs to around 70%, so cooling it actually allows you to taste the flavours - too much water tends to dilute it too much. Higher proof gins, some navy+ strength rums and higher proof vodkas can also benefit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The rocks are terrible, they flavour the whisky ad don't cool much. In an Aussie summer, I reckon you're better to keep the whisky in the fridge and stand it for 10-15 mins after you pour before drinking. A better option that I use is get a cheap wine fridge and set it to 12-14 degrees and keep whisky in there, great for red wine in summer too.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, redrich2000 said:

The rocks are terrible, they flavour the whisky

Thanks for the tips! That's what i was thinking regards flavouring the whisky. I'll skip the rocks/cubes idea then and stick to chilling the bottle and glassware. I like the small, cheap second fridge idea! 

Cheers 🥃

52 minutes ago, redrich2000 said:

The rocks are terrible, they flavour the whisky ad don't cool much. In an Aussie summer, I reckon you're better to keep the whisky in the fridge and stand it for 10-15 mins after you pour before drinking. A better option that I use is get a cheap wine fridge and set it to 12-14 degrees and keep whisky in there, great for red wine in summer too.

The ones I've got cool fine, and impart no flavour after you soak and dry them a few times (many years ago). Also, you put them in the fridge dry, not wet.

But I agree about the glassware - for the evening G&T, I stick the glasses in the freezer. And in summer, the reds are generally pulled out of the wine cellar only to be opened to breath (and the house is always 24C or below). Whites generally come straight out of the cellar also - I reckon that a cold white is a flavourless white (if it needs to be cold to drink it, it's best poured down the sink first).

I've tried the rocks, but they never stay cold long enough.

I now use tap water and create my own clear ice.  I cut them large and find they stay colder for longer, and don't melt as much.  Maybe an option...

I have a set of the grey marble looking whisky rocks that someone gave me for Christmas. They are currently sitting in the top of a flower pot near the front door, where they've been for a couple of years.. LOL.

@zipstartcanoe I have been accused of having a pair of 316 Stainless Steel balls.. 🤣

Edited by bob_m_54
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I've got some granite ice cubes from the wife as a Chrssy present, I keep them in the freezer in a snap lock bag.

ive not noticed any taste to them , but agree they don't stay cool for long . 

• Like 1