Thoughts on the new Dune movie ?

57 minutes ago, Batty said:

Watching the 2000 series atm.

Yeah I just watched the Lynch movie, and was going to start on the 2000 series next week. I did have a quick look at the transfer. The non CG stuff doesnt' look too bad.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's a shame Jodorowsky's version was never realised.  With art design by HR Giger and Moebius it would have been a trip.    

I didn't even watch it. Half the youtube today seems to be someone or other 'reacting' to something or other.   Soon even the news will be "A politician /sportsperson /actor reacts to the /b

They may be assumptions, but they are based on watching his last two movies and the DUNE trailer.   TBH I'm expecting it to flop at the BO, as it's the total opposite to the mindless ''Çooki

My first exposure to Dune was an old DOS based computer game. I quite enjoyed it at the time. The I found the books and enjoyed the first few of those as well..... Never really liked the movies.

• Like 1
On 16/09/2020 at 11:22 PM, LHC said:

They need to make some money - the huge risk is described by this article here: https://screenrant.com/dune-2020-movie-box-office-bomb-failure-success/

If Dune's $200 million budget is true, by the usual rule-of-thumb they must make $400 million at the box office to break even. For comparison Blade Runner 2049 earned just $259 million on a budget of between $155-$185 million, i.e. they lost money. The Arrival did better because it had a very cheap budget (and Amy Adam was great). 

I suppose it depends if this $200 million budget is spread over TWO films, which I'm guessing it is.

It would lessen the impact of having it all tied up on ONE film.

Edited by Tweaky
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tweaky said:

I suppose it depends if this $200 million budget is spread over TWO films, which I'm guessing it is.

It would lessen the impact of having it all tied up on ONE film.

There's enough material to make an unprecedented number of sequels.

I'm not hating on the concept of a Denis Villeneuve Dune (I'm certain it'll be incredible) just more to the point that tackling something as rich as this will inevitably end up a at the most two movies. 

It's be preferable if stuff like this was common practice as a lead in to a lower budget (or GoT) series, if the got cast to sign on.

Hi All,

My concern is that, as is often usual, they preview the 'better parts' of the movie in the Trailers, many times I have been disappointed that the Trailer had all of the better acting, and scenes with the rest of the movie 👎

JJ

Edited by Janjuc
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

I appreciate I'm anomalous, given I'm an av lover and have not seen a movie in cinemas since Revenge of the Sith, and prefer disc based media and home at equipment. And I don't have any interest in standing in line waiting and group experience. Especially these days when xxxxing people would be constantly lighting screens on mobiles... But I kind of hoped 2020 would be the death knell of the anachronism of this whole theatrical release rubbish. I mean talks of bailing out theaters is as stupid as pumping money into horse drawn carriage makers when automobiles started taking control.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 08/12/2020 at 3:01 PM, hometheatrebugbitten said:

Dune 2020 release delayed until October 2021 🙁

New release date according to Kotaku Australia is Sept 30th.

Matrix 4 release date is Dec 26th if anybody cares.

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2021/01/all-the-sci-fi-fantasy-and-horror-films-to-look-forward-to-in-2021-hopefully/

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

I love the Dune books, Franks originals and the latter prequels and concluding series by Kevin Anderson and Brian Herbert.  All really good fun.

Lynch's Dune is cool too, i don't mind listening to the alan smithee version which Lynch refused to have his name on.

I quite liked the 6 episode tv adaption of Dune and Children of Dune.

Bring on a new Dune movie, make it epic and devious.

My favourite bit in the entire series is when Bashar Miles Teg discovers he can move really fast.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, warweary said:

My favourite bit in the entire series is when Bashar Miles Teg discovers he can move really fast.

Gotta admit that was a highlight for me too.

• Like 1