Converting an old Antipodes DS Reference to play Snakeoil

I have an old Antipodes DS Reference which is based on 32 bit architecture.  The old linux operating system failed after a software upgrade and the cost of repairing by Antipodes who wanted to upgrade it was too expensive for an old machine.

In the meantime I bought a 1TB Samsung SSD and loaded daphile which was relatively easy after a bit of advice from Clay @Gieseler Audio.  Having compared Daphile to JRiver and Audirvana I found that it wasn't as good even though JRIver and Audirvana were run on an 8 year old laptop.  https://www.daphile.com/

I was wondering whether anyone has loaded an earlier version of Linux Mint such as Linux Mint 19.3 "Tricia" - Cinnamon (32-bit) to use with JRiver and if so would they be willing to give me a few pointers?  At this stage I don't want to bin the Antipodes since it should be able to perform better than an 8 year old laptop.

Thanks in advance.

Peter

Edited by PKay

3 hours ago, PKay said:

I was wondering whether anyone has loaded an earlier version of Linux Mint such as Linux Mint 19.3 "Tricia" - Cinnamon (32-bit) to use with JRiver and if so would they be willing to give me a few pointers? 

While Linux Mint is one of the better distros for ease of use, it is still a full Linux system with lots of overheads which may affect SQ.

1 hour ago, gypr1961 said:

Long time since I looked at it but have a look at snakeoil

https://www.snakeoil-os.net/forums/

I am using SnakeOil OS and am delighted with it.

---

SnakeOil OS has been stripped back of the overheads that may impact SQ.  But, there will be problems installing JRiver 

https://www.snakeoil-os.net/forums/Thread-Installing-Jriver-Media-Center?highlight=Jriver

It has other players like MPD, LMS/Squeezelite which provide excellent SQ. Give them a try.

And Agent Kith, the developer, is usually responsive.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

While Linux Mint is one of the better distros for ease of use, it is still a full Linux system with lots of overheads which may affect SQ.

I am using SnakeOil OS and am delighted with it.

---

SnakeOil OS has been stripped back of the overheads that may impact SQ.  But, there will be problems installing JRiver 

https://www.snakeoil-os.net/forums/Thread-Installing-Jriver-Media-Center?highlight=Jriver

It has other players like MPD, LMS/Squeezelite which provide excellent SQ. Give them a try.

And Agent Kith, the developer, is usually responsive.

Which music player are you using? Sounds like snake oil will be worth a try. It needs to be easy in my case. 

Edited by PKay

51 minutes ago, PKay said:

Which music player are you using?

I am currently using MinimServer as the server and upmpdcli as the player. Upmpdcli has UPnP wrapper around MPD, which gives the SQ of MPD (which I like) and the usability and configurability of MinimServer & BubbleUpnp phone app.

This is probably too complex for your initial foray. Suggest looking at MPD itself and LMS/Squeezelite for your comparisons.  Both of them have a web based interface within SnakeOil OS, but there are also phone apps. 

• Like 1

Is there a UEFI/Legacy option in there? If set to UEFI, set it to Legacy. And try disconnecting the internal SSD and DVD drive to see if it changes anything.

Nice chassis - probably wouldn't be difficult to drop a modern board/CPU in there. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PCOWandre said:

Is there a UEFI/Legacy option in there? If set to UEFI, set it to Legacy. And try disconnecting the internal SSD and DVD drive to see if it changes anything.

Nice chassis - probably wouldn't be difficult to drop a modern board/CPU in there. 

Is that the same as ATA/IDE Mode?

I think it may be my boot USB drive. 

A7C38720-0150-4298-8AC4-7AFAB26894E2.jpeg

00366246-CD27-4571-961F-4DB623F61644.jpeg

Guest Old Man Rubber

If you have a spare usb or memory card, try putting a debian boot image on it and see if the system boots - I often find it easier to make bootable DVDs which is something else to try.  You would have to switch the boot order around to get it to boot that way.

Once you're happy debian can boot, try again with the snakeoil distribution.

12 minutes ago, Old Man Rubber said:

If you have a spare usb or memory card, try putting a debian boot image on it and see if the system boots - I often find it easier to make bootable DVDs which is something else to try.  You would have to switch the boot order around to get it to boot that way.

Once you're happy debian can boot, try again with the snakeoil distribution.

Thanks, I might try to create a DVD as well. I have my original boot USB I created for Daphile which was seamless to get up and running. I could try that to see if one of my settings is incorrect. 

Failing all of that I may have to go to my computer guy and get him to fix it. 

I don’t want to bin the Antipodes as it has a lot of goodies. 

@PKay I note you joined the SnakeOil forum. ?  Agent Kith is excellent with support.

Note sure what Daphile used to create the USB boot, but SnakeOil has probably too many options. Been a while since i did mine, but I think I used Etcher and a USB stick 2.0 stick.

1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

@PKay I note you joined the SnakeOil forum. ?  Agent Kith is excellent with support.

Note sure what Daphile used to create the USB boot, but SnakeOil has probably too many options. Been a while since i did mine, but I think I used Etcher and a USB stick 2.0 stick.

I tried Etcher last night. I will buy another USB to try again tonight as well as DVD. 

I thought this would be easier than it has turned out. 

I doubt your USB stick is actually faulty to the point where it won't boot after writing. That's easy enough to test -- try to use the same stick to boot another PC. The installer won't mess with your PC unless you ask it to.

I'll send you a PM with some other ideas.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PCOWandre said:

I tried my Daphile boot stick tonight which previously worked and it also failed  so I’m guessing it will be Something in my settings. 

Edited by PKay

Thanks to @Snoopy8for a few pointers today. I am listening to my system using Snakeoil and first impressions are that I probably won’t bother with Jriver.  This is just the beginning but as a first start it is brilliant. 

Next step is to activate the system and setup my nas which will be a challenge. At the moment I have copied some files across for a bit of a listen. 

I would highly recommend Snakeoil. Using my iPeng app.

E6D0CE61-572F-40DA-8D27-995A67D8EBDF.png

• Like 2