The Boys

Brilliant show, streaming on Amazon Prime.

I would recommend going in cold as I did, however it has been advertised on FTA with the S2 launch.

Karl Urban is great in this, but took a me a while to recognise Antony Starr who is brilliant and maybe one of the best depictions of the internal conflicts of his character.

• Like 2

Guest thathifiguy
3 hours ago, misternavi said:

I would also recommend you track down the comic.

They toned down the story for live action.

Gee whiz, how gruesome is the comic!

2 hours ago, dolphy said:

You should give Preacher a go, also created by Garth Ennis. He also wrote a lot of the Punisher in the late 90s early 00s. His run heavily influenced the Punisher TV show.

I read the Preacher series and I thought the adaptation to TV was pretty good.

I tried to give The Punisher a go, I was a big fan in the 80's and had all the Punisher comics but I think he belongs in the 80's. 

His run on Hellblazer was also very good.

1 hour ago, Willco said:

Hmm The Boys --lots of hype alright--I gave up when they all took a boat dive into a beached whales Intestines :S?

Sorry too convoluted for this old head.

YVMV

Willco

You old bugger, you should try to stick with it.

Yes Karl Urban's cockney pseudo 'this is how we American's think you British spivs speak'... Is abysmal and it has a fair chance of taking out the annual worst  attempt at an accent award and past winners like Lindy Chamberlains Hollywood version via Meryl Streep would be nodding their heads up and down...it's truly awful.

But, if you didn't follow though to the end of series 2  then you missed out on one of the best finales  (script wise) for quite some time. It was a ripper Willco! Couldn't ask for more.

Fast forward through the middle eps of series 2, you wont miss much but the last ep....

you need to see that.

• Like 2

Just now, RankStranger said:

not defending his accent (I haven’t seen the show) but you know he’s a Kiwi, right?

No excuse whatsoever.

It is the worst invision of a English cockney accent I've heard since Dick Van Dyke's in Mary Poppins. Youtube that and tell me Karl and Dick aren't related!

It would not surprise me if they asked him to study Van Dyke's approach to getting on top of the accent...f-ing atrocious ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Luc said:

Yes Karl Urban's cockney pseudo 'this is how we American's think you British spivs speak'... Is abysmal and it has a fair chance of taking out the annual worst  attempt at an accent award and past winners like Lindy Chamberlains Hollywood version via Meryl Streep would be nodding their heads up and down...it's truly awful.

But, if you didn't follow though to the end of series 2  then you missed out on one of the best finales  (script wise) for quite some time. It was a ripper Willco! Couldn't ask for more.

Fast forward through the middle eps of series 2, you wont miss much but the last ep....

you need to see that.

Yeah definitely, that accent is bloody awful, but he plays the role well.

A bit confused there with it just up to ep 4 of season 2 now?

Guest thathifiguy
10 minutes ago, likwidsh0k said:

Yeah definitely, that accent is bloody awful, but he plays the role well.

A bit confused there with it just up to ep 4 of season 2 now?

It's released Friday night in the US, so Saturday for us.

On 10/09/2020 at 8:28 PM, Luc said:

you need to see that.

Um yes well--I guess my attention span is shot--I maybe should have stuck with it but that Captain America dude with his burping (?) and creepy persona 

Sorry Lucy Matey-yes I know Karl is one of the  Bros-h'es done well in the US--but this  pile is not for Moi

I tried to grasp it--but I just lost it in the end:S!

Willco

Sl6Xz.gif.91f47ecd29f17df2afa4ed539e55a57d.gif

• Like 2

One of the podcasts I listen to has an ad hoc segment called “Secret Brit” where they talk about the actors in American shows who they didn’t realise were actually British. There’s some charming surprises there. You could do the same with kiwis these days

Ugh - gave it 20 mins tonight.

Couldn't get past the awful accent (you know who), the glib dialogue (everyone) and the direction & script  squarely aimed at 18 years olds.

Great for the youngsters I'm guessing, but not this ol' boy.

When is the next Season of 'Ozark' due?  ;) 

33 minutes ago, candyflip said:

Ugh - gave it 20 mins tonight.

Couldn't get past the awful accent (you know who), the glib dialogue (everyone) and the direction & script  squarely aimed at 18 years olds.

Great for the youngsters I'm guessing, but not this ol' boy.

When is the next Season of 'Ozark' due?  ;) 

Ozark final season was delayed due to Covid. They start filming in November this year. From memory, it will be 14 episodes (2 part finale).

• Love 1

• 1 month later...

I've watched a couple of episodes recently and am hooked.

It's good to watch something unapologetically crass for a change. Not that I'm into vulgarity, but it makes a nice change from the usual fairly tame.

The concept is great, and I like Urban and others. Most of the cast are average but the concept and brashness make up for it.

• 2 months later...

Interesting ending to season 2. I liked it but the same problem keeps arising over and over again. Are they indestructible or are they not? What are the varying degrees of this? Like is Deep basically a normal dude with gills? Why can Homelander not burn Stormfronts bazookas in one scene but his son can, you know? It’s just obviously  inconsistent sometimes.

Also, blowing peoples heads up is a skill I think that just makes this issue of mine more salient.

Edited by deviltoob

I have watched all of the Boys and its bloody hilarious -  mindless violence, black comedy, blow job and kok jokes.    The Beached whale scene was so funny I almost pissed myself.

It tool me several episodes to realise Highlander is the Kiwi actor from Banshee ( another great series)

can't wait for S3.

• Like 2