Muzishare X7 Owners & Discussion Thread

3 minutes ago, Champtaste said:

@demoiree thank you kind sir, you are the only source I can find comparing these two brands.  Have you tried putting the muzishare kt88’s in the willsenton? (to compare amps directly)

I think Iam going to buy either muzishare x9 (300b) or willsenton r300b, (to pair with high efficiency speakers) so I am looking for ANY indication that the muzishare brand sounds better and is worth the significant $ over willsenton. Like you, I may just have to take a chance! (On 1 not 2 unfortunately).

my pleasure! yes , but only briefly , it did sound more similar when running KT88 on the R8 , better bass control , deeper , clearer highs( sharper treble)  

however i still notice hiss/noise running KT88 on R8 , so i think the stock chinese preamp tubes are noisy. i'll report back if i happen to get some quality 6SL7 if the noise still present or not.

all in all , i found the sound is more refined when running Kt88 on the X7 , instrument separation , darker background , bass control etc is slightly better on the X7 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/10/2020 at 8:18 PM, demoiree said:

my pleasure! yes , but only briefly , it did sound more similar when running KT88 on the R8 , better bass control , deeper , clearer highs( sharper treble)  

however i still notice hiss/noise running KT88 on R8 , so i think the stock chinese preamp tubes are noisy. i'll report back if i happen to get some quality 6SL7 if the noise still present or not.

all in all , i found the sound is more refined when running Kt88 on the X7 , instrument separation , darker background , bass control etc is slightly better on the X7 

Thanks a ton for your impressions. A month later, which do you prefer?

• Like 1

On 19/10/2020 at 10:11 AM, demoiree said:

No worries , from the schematics the B+ voltage is around 450v, the bias for EL34 should be around 30-35ma , but it may not sound as good as it is not built for EL34. also not sure of the long terms effects on the tubes (may shorten the life of tube)  .

i'll try it one day for the sake of trying , but i wouldn't use it long term.

My custom amp has 450v B+ and is designed for EL34's, and yeah, biased at 35ma.

Not sure what the worry is for EL34's in the amp you are using?

Edit: Max plate voltage for the EL34 is 800v, so 450v with a bias of 35ma is not stressing it.

https://amptubes.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/svetlana_el34_specificationsheet.pdf

Edited by muon*
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, muon* said:

My custom amp has 450v B+ and is designed for EL34's, and yeah, biased at 35ma.

Not sure what the worry is for EL34's in the amp you are using?

Edit: Max plate voltage for the EL34 is 800v, so 450v with a bias of 35ma is not stressing it.

https://amptubes.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/svetlana_el34_specificationsheet.pdf

@muon* thanks for the info . I heard that el34 requires lower bias voltage (around -35) where kt88 is at around -55 , i have not tried yet , but might try it one day on the x7

14 hours ago, Relaxasaurus said:

Thanks a ton for your impressions. A month later, which do you prefer?

if compare apples to apples 

i.e x7 running stock tubes and kt88 and the r8 running stock tubes and kt88 , then I'd choose the x7 , as I prefer that it has a darker background(noise floor is low) , better transparency ,slightly more holographic and also the vu meters are sexy and not to mention the built is more luxury.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, demoiree said:

@muon* thanks for the info . I heard that el34 requires lower bias voltage (around -35) where kt88 is at around -55 , i have not tried yet , but might try it one day on the x7

Yeah, just lower the bias after pulling the KT88's and set it at 30ma to 35ma for the El34 you try in there when fired back up.

Will be fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Please see below for EL34 and KT88 bias settings for a fixed plate voltage of 450v operating within a normal region. The 55mA bias setting for the KT88 will be in the cold region. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the EL34 sounds better as it's operating within its normal region.

Screenshot_20201116-185719_FTBC Lite.jpg

Screenshot_20201116-185811_FTBC Lite.jpg

Edited by xlr8or
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after doing some research and looking at my needs, I took the plung and purchased a Muzishare X7 largely by reading multiple web postings and the above comments.  I was also pondering the Willsenton R8 because of it's versatility with different tube combinations, but the end of the day, I went with Muzishare X7.   I am a neophyte when it comes to tubes, but I know what I like.  Kids are leaving the nest and I'd like to keep my wife, so $5-10K was not in the cards.  I find the Chinese are being very aggressive with their electronics building a name for themselves vs the big boys.  Competitive pricing is a win-win for the consumer as long as it performs as advertised.  All I can say is I am extremely pleased with my purchase. 

I purchased from Hifi Exquis and received an email that they were "out of stock" three days into the purchase but would be getting more over the weekend.  By Monday/Tuesday, I had a tracking number from DHL.  I live in the USA, so I wasn't sure how this was all going to play out.  I would recommend to anyone to make a profile on the shipping company website.  They will give you as many updates as you want...lol.  Anyway, the package arrived two days early.  I wasn't sure if there was going to be an upcharge from the shipping company, but there wasn't.

The amplifier itself is extremely well packaged.  Box in a box with the plastic foam keeping anything from moving.  I was missing a warranty card, but Hifi Exquis said they keep track of my purchased date for the warranty.  Hook up was easy peasy...  I did try to hook up my Empire 598III Troubador through my Budgie pre-amp, but absolutely hated what I heard coming out of my DCM TimeWindow 7 speakers.  So, I went with the Muzishare X7 pre-amp setting and Wow, I was happy guy.  I do run the Muzishare in the Ultralinear settings. as the DCM TimeWindow 7 are a 4 Ohms speaker.  I did decide to run these through my DCM Sub-712 as I always read about complaints on not enough bass and this sub has a "pass-through" feature.  I just control how much bass I want through a dial.

Well, two weeks in, and I like it more and more as the stock tubes burn in.  The signal tubes are either rebranded Slovakia JJs or something else as they now have the Muzishare label on them.  My plan is to swap them out after a couple of years (as I said, I like my wife).  I'm thinking either the new Gold Lions or Telefunken.  Of course, I would always like to find some NOS in the wild  at a reasonable price and play around if I get lucky.  My musical tastes are all genre, but I like my jazz, blues and swing as I get older.

Thanks to all that give their opinions.  I've always felt, if you read enough, common themes emerge and then you just have to "take the plunge!"

Dundee

20201130_114002.jpg

20201130_114337.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Major_Dundee said:

Well, after doing some research and looking at my needs, I took the plung and purchased a Muzishare X7 largely by reading multiple web postings and the above comments.  I was also pondering the Willsenton R8 because of it's versatility with different tube combinations, but the end of the day, I went with Muzishare X7.   I am a neophyte when it comes to tubes, but I know what I like.  Kids are leaving the nest and I'd like to keep my wife, so $5-10K was not in the cards.  I find the Chinese are being very aggressive with their electronics building a name for themselves vs the big boys.  Competitive pricing is a win-win for the consumer as long as it performs as advertised.  All I can say is I am extremely pleased with my purchase. 

I purchased from Hifi Exquis and received an email that they were "out of stock" three days into the purchase but would be getting more over the weekend.  By Monday/Tuesday, I had a tracking number from DHL.  I live in the USA, so I wasn't sure how this was all going to play out.  I would recommend to anyone to make a profile on the shipping company website.  They will give you as many updates as you want...lol.  Anyway, the package arrived two days early.  I wasn't sure if there was going to be an upcharge from the shipping company, but there wasn't.

The amplifier itself is extremely well packaged.  Box in a box with the plastic foam keeping anything from moving.  I was missing a warranty card, but Hifi Exquis said they keep track of my purchased date for the warranty.  Hook up was easy peasy...  I did try to hook up my Empire 598III Troubador through my Budgie pre-amp, but absolutely hated what I heard coming out of my DCM TimeWindow 7 speakers.  So, I went with the Muzishare X7 pre-amp setting and Wow, I was happy guy.  I do run the Muzishare in the Ultralinear settings. as the DCM TimeWindow 7 are a 4 Ohms speaker.  I did decide to run these through my DCM Sub-712 as I always read about complaints on not enough bass and this sub has a "pass-through" feature.  I just control how much bass I want through a dial.

Well, two weeks in, and I like it more and more as the stock tubes burn in.  The signal tubes are either rebranded Slovakia JJs or something else as they now have the Muzishare label on them.  My plan is to swap them out after a couple of years (as I said, I like my wife).  I'm thinking either the new Gold Lions or Telefunken.  Of course, I would always like to find some NOS in the wild  at a reasonable price and play around if I get lucky.  My musical tastes are all genre, but I like my jazz, blues and swing as I get older.

Thanks to all that give their opinions.  I've always felt, if you read enough, common themes emerge and then you just have to "take the plunge!"

Dundee

20201130_114002.jpg

20201130_114337.jpg

I did the same as you and settled on the X7 over the Willsenton based on the comments from others above, and it's slimmer profile depth-wise as this is going on a TV stand. The X7 is on Amazon in the US with an easier return policy, plus you get 5% back if you use their CC so I went that route.

I love the amp but ended up purchasing some KT88 Gold Lions, a Mullard 12ax7, and had some previous 12au7 NOS Sylvanias around. Waiting for the rest of the tubes to arrive as I'm not completely satisfied with the stock tubes, but still happy overall.

Of course as soon as we get our X7's Thomas & Stereo releases his review of the Doge 10 for about the same price and now I'm *very* interested in that as well. Damn this hobby ? ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just saw the review of the Doge 10 and was also intrigued.  BUT,  at the end of the day, I think we can all be chasing that unicorn of perfection.  Tube rolling will be my next adventure and I look forward to any combo success stories we can all share with this amp.  I am curious if the  signal JJ tubes were just rebranded with the Muzishare label in my amp or if they are using a different manufacturer.  I just would like to avoid putting the same tube in as the stock.

20201130_114510.jpg

20201130_114519.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

True! It's a never ending journey it seems, not really in a bad way. Pardon the dust but currently breaking in the Gold Lions:

PXL_20201203_134520277.thumb.jpg.e0d43e873599ad9f711cc859bfbdedd1.jpg

I dig the look of the Gold Lions branding  On the stock Muzishare KT88 tubes, I don't think they're exactly JJ's. 

PXL_20201203_134129809.thumb.jpg.c4821f58962d4be070f609b4f6bb817e.jpg

jjtube2.jpg.6ba06138a3c25d6c7f17562ee1f09f7f.jpg

Notice the JJ's have round circles in their plates while the Muzi's do not. More clearance after the bottom spacers too, though spacer sizes are similar. The Gold Lions definitely have beefier internals:

PXL_20201203_134349773.thumb.jpg.823637b8f38653a3486833bfad8ac560.jpg

Another note is the stock Muzishare 12au7's seem a bit cheaply made. Not sure how much this matters but the spacers are very slanted compared to 3 other brands of the same tube I have here.

PXL_20201203_134718069.thumb.jpg.825be1e22b810e9b7968510b6650de8b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My brother-in-law just went through his stash of tubes and had some 5814 by United and RCA.  I have an old Eico 666 tube tester I that have to try to figure out how to calibrate. He also had some 5751 that I may try. The literature says that tube has a lower gain.  Hope I don't blow anything up...lol

3 hours ago, Major_Dundee said:

My brother-in-law just went through his stash of tubes and had some 5814 by United and RCA.  I have an old Eico 666 tube tester I that have to try to figure out how to calibrate. He also had some 5751 that I may try. The literature says that tube has a lower gain.  Hope I don't blow anything up...lol

You should be fine with both tube substitutes. The 5814 for the 12AU7 will draw in a little more heater current. Also, it will sound more warm in tonal character. The 5751 for the 12AX7 will also draw in a little more heater current and drop the mu (gain) from 100 to 70. Its tonal character will be more clinical sounding. Both tube substitutes will supplement each other nicely in balancing out the overall sound. ???

Edited by xlr8or
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes - it's 40 mA. Ignore the scale below 20 mA, as its divisions are different - split into divisions of 5 mA between 10 to 20 mA. Between 20 and 60 mA each division represents 10 mA.

Edited by xlr8or
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, artur56 said:

Thank You! 

After 3 hours of playing, bias has changed on V4 to almost 80mA. Is it normal ?

No - this is not normal. When checking/adjusting bias make sure that no signal is passing through the circuit. Can you adjust it back down to 40 mA? You want to avoid any red plating of the tubes as this may take out the output transformer or the grid circuit. Let us know how you get along. You may have a faulty tube.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, xlr8or said:

No - this is not normal. When checking/adjusting bias make sure that no signal is passing through the circuit. Can you adjust it back down to 40 mA? You want to avoid any red plating of the tubes as this may take out the output transformer or the grid circuit. Let us know how you get along. You may have a faulty tube.

I have re-adjust all tubes from 0 mA to ~40mA with disconnected all intputs. Will see how manny mA will we get after 2 hours of playing. 

• Like 1

I think, You are right. Today I have replaced tube from V3 and change its position to V2, and V2 landed in V3 slot. 

I readjusted bias, and after some time the value has increased above 55 mA. If I set bias on this tube lower than 37-36 mA, after some time the value is decreasing, falling to 30mA. 

I think it is a time to change KT88 tubes ? 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, artur56 said:

I think it is a time to change KT88 tubes ? 

Unfortunately, yes. It appears the tube is faulty and drifting away from its set bias value. I would recommend getting yourself another single tube if the existing other 3 are still new. If not, get yourself a new quad set. Made in Russia Genalex Gold Lion KT88's are quite reliable.

Edited by xlr8or
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 05/12/2020 at 8:24 PM, xlr8or said:

Unfortunately, yes. It appears the tube is faulty and drifting away from its set bias value. I would recommend getting yourself another single tube if the existing other 3 are still new. If not, get yourself a new quad set. Made in Russia Genalex Gold Lion KT88's are quite reliable.

I have ordered 4 matched genalex tubes today, cant wait to try them. Bias level should be also set close to 40mA ? Or different value ? Thanks