Parametric eq on rythmik subwoofer setup help

Hi I was wondering what I have to do to set up the parametric e.g. right on the rythmik subwoofer. Do I need a Mic and software to read the room? And if so what software and Mic would I use? Also is there a link to a tutorial I could use or watch to get a better understanding on how to do this properly. 

Thanks in advance steve

Edited by Bush thug

There are a few posts / techniques for setting up subs by ear, but if you getting down to the level of the PEQ settings then I would strongly suggest Mic and software (which will also help with phase and volume).  I use a Umik-1 mic from mini-DSP and Room Equalisation Wizard as software (free).  Quite a bit written around REW procedures.  Umik mics come up in classifieds occasionally but go in minutes, and may be worth asking in WTB whether you can borrow one (a few ads like that appear).  If not I sense worth investing in one. 

Which sub do you have?  I have an F12 which is great.

Gibbo

• Like 1

I have the f12 as well I just got it but the dampening switch is busted. Does that make much of s difference is it worth getting fixed. I do have a Mic from my marantz would that work.

Thanks heaps for the info

Sweet just ordered a umik  so wait till that gets here and I will start to play around. 

Is the software going to be easy to understand or should i do some reading. If so has anyone got a good link that is easy to understand on using the wizard.

Thanks again I love this site

The rythmik PEQ is pretty limited, can pull down 1 peak a little bit. It does make a difference. Not sure what your source is, but a minidsp dirac unit would probably give the best achievable bass response in a typical domestic listening environment.

Post up what you measure.

My mate has a Mic for his dbx unit that I might give a go today. While I wait for the other Mic.

Will post my results 

My sources are 

Marantz CD player

MacBook pro /audiophillio /rega dac

Music hall 9.1 turntable

I got the sub cheap so don't mind spending a little bit to get it sounding it's best. 

What mini dsp do you recommend?

Where do you put the mini dsp in the chain does it go just before the sub?

Can you get them with speaker cable in?

Thanks steve

• Like 1

Are you using a preamp or integrated? What speakers and how is the sub currently connected?

Best to measure what you have first and then workout a strategy.

If you use a minidsp you can get rid of your audiophillio and rega dac. It works as a dac/pre/crossover/room correction all in one. Plug in all your sources, send preouts to power amp for speakers, and will have another set of preouts to sub/s.

Now alot of this can also be done in software if you want to apply a correction to the whole system via your Macbook pro. What software do you use? Can it do convolution?

tidal, itunes  and plex on my mac

abrahamsen v30 pre 

2 x abrahamsen v40 power amps

focal 826w 30th anniversary 

not really that keen to get rid of the dac audiophillio and pre. i love how the speakers sound i have got the sub pretty well dialled in as well i just think it could do a little better. but if i do get a mini dsp i will try it out as a standalone unit just to see because i dont mind tinkering. but not my main goal here.

i have the sub connected via hi level speaker inputs at the moment because i have an AV receiver plugged in as well.

the rythmik sub i have is an older one with the 370peq2 amp that doesn't have the lfe input as well as the line level input.

i am currently building a cinema room so it will just be dedicated hifi in coming months.

so after that happens i will be able to use both the line level inputs for the sub.

i do have one line level input spare tho could possible connect the dsp to that if no speaker option.

thanks steve

5 hours ago, Bush thug said:

Sweet just ordered a umik  so wait till that gets here and I will start to play around. 

Is the software going to be easy to understand or should i do some reading. If so has anyone got a good link that is easy to understand on using the wizard.

Thanks again I love this site

All I did was watch some youtube videos on how to set it up, very easy to follow

Using miniDSP + measurements from the UMIK for sub integration, now perfectly blended. My sub has all the fancy PEQ stuff but prefer to do it via miniDSP

For sub integration I'm just using standard 2x4 miniDSP, don't think you get significant benefits in going up to a HD if it's just dealing with the low frequency region.

Others may disagree though!

7 hours ago, Bush thug said:

I have the f12 as well I just got it but the dampening switch is busted. Does that make much of s difference is it worth getting fixed. I do have a Mic from my marantz would that work.

Thanks heaps for the info

If you are going the DSP route you may not need to have the switch fixed, as damping is frequency response related, not something that somehow “magically improves“ bass.

Having said that, I’d get the switch fixed so that the option to select it is there.

I have 2 Rythmik subs, I love them.

Cheers,

SS

trying to calibrate my soundcard a srcarlett 2i2 and theseare the mesurements is this ok cause it looks like it rolls of the frequencys pretty early

soundcard.jpg.59e399d4e84ff76bdd9f94cb9913286c.jpg

ok sussed it i think after changing cables usb ports and then grabbing my studio mac it seems it was my hifi mac that has issues. now that being said i wonder what that is doing to my dac if it is to do with the usb port

704588781_mac2.jpg.9bfdcd5ac44798b939ce7540608294ee.jpg

measurements with new mac

left speaker

1224419332_leftspeaker.jpg.1cc9b3fc995b11d5ae954c460d6e46fe.jpg

860776414_lesftspeakernosmoothing.jpg.b84201aeb65251fab182fe7b30eb4817.jpg

right speaker

2015889470_rightspeaker.jpg.a447e930be2c18ce5e667b0b488b33c2.jpg

1133471938_rightspeakernosmoothing.jpg.a5e5feb25de1641bb21cc93d8bba192d.jpg

subwoofer

subwoofer.jpg.cc10d3b8a7134af94e684f23ed48e277.jpg1910881415_subwoofersmoothing.jpg.73b01840fa2859c4857a78bc91a0122b.jpg

subwoofer.jpg

right no smooth.jpg

left no smooth.jpg

Edited by Bush thug

Scaling is really important. Need 5dB increments on Y axis, otherwise it looks smoother than it is. Take about 6 sweeps of each speaker around the listening position and then average. First thing to work on is speaker and sub placement.

@davewantsmoore can advise

• Like 1

ha ha ha well that changes thing dramatically 

thanks for the help much appreciated

left speaker

1992173622_leftspeakerdbb2.jpg.37775f44fd00d558e124c021fc5bc558.jpg

right speaker

2065461195_rightspeakedbb2.jpg.72e3799a189e2bbf534af7c09c14e37c.jpg

sub

591141980_subdbb22.jpg.f51bddcbb726b241930f15a73b00a1e8.jpg

Edited by Bush thug

Have a good read of this guide

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/simplified-rew-setup-and-use-usb-mic-hdmi-connection-including-measurement-techniques-and-how-to-interpret-graphs.1449924/page-28

For full range speaker sweeps I would limit the horizontal axis to 20Hz to 20kHz and (IMHO) use 1/6 Oct smoothing and the vertical axis from 50dB to 110dB which should give 5dB increments. For sub sweeps I would use something like 10Hz to 200Hz on the Horizontal axis and no smoothing. Sometimes you have to play with the resolution setting when saving the screenshots to maintain 5dB increments

Evidently something is up with your dB levels (soundcard/ mic calibration?) , because measuring at 20-30dB would be well under the room's noise floor (unless you live in an anechoic chamber? lol) 

Here's an example of how to show your graphs, this is just how I do it, but will give you some ideas

Fullrange measurement  (dual subs + Center speaker crossed at 80Hz with 1/6 Oct smoothing

594903064_20-20ksubmsept2019.thumb.jpg.ae103333766ba1ef8500be03396742be.jpg

Dual Subwoofer measurements, no smoothing

896251695_submsept2018.thumb.jpg.551c28e778f4924368a407182d528bfa.jpg

Edited by jamiebosco
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bush thug said:

Thanks heaps I will have a read. 

Was struggling calibration of the mic. 

Couldn't find much info on setting up a non usb mic. 

All good mate, that guide has helped thousands of people setup REW

2 hours ago, jamiebosco said:

Evidently something is up with your dB levels (soundcard/ mic calibration?) , because measuring at 20-30dB

No necessarily an issue.... it just means he hasn't calibrated his mic to an absolute SPL level.

• Like 1
On 09/09/2020 at 9:26 PM, Bush thug said:

Hi I was wondering what I have to do to set up the parametric e.g. right on the rythmik subwoofer.

Looks like you've figured it out now.... althogh you'd really want EQ on both the mains and sub.

It would be a better solution to move the speakers and/or listening postition.... but appreciate thats not always practical for people

14 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

No necessarily an issue.... it just means he hasn't calibrated his mic to an absolute SPL level.

Agreed, was just pointing out that the  dB levels were  off

how are these 6 measurements taken on each then averaged out 1/6 smoothing with 5db increments

left speaker average348493789_averageleft.jpg.65dbbfca3fddb83aaf23ff86f601b9b3.jpg

right speaker average

199593032_averageright.jpg.840c14a4a5b984067ac80107d0cff2bb.jpg

sub average no peq in lfe mode

1980594717_averagesub.jpg.23248fd1112b17cf89d832a61eceb2b3.jpg

20 minutes ago, Bush thug said:

how are these 6 measurements taken on each then averaged out 1/6 smoothing with 5db increments

Hard to say....

In very general terms, I'd say the sub level is 5dB too low... and you have a big lump at 60Hz.

You either have a lump at 10khz (unusual) or you have holes at in the lowmids and at 2-3khz (more likely, and not necessarily a big issue, as it's just "how you're measuring" rather than a problem you should solve) .... if it's the later, then the sub level is at least 5dB too low.

Edited by davewantsmoore
7 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

Hard to say....

In very general terms, I'd say the sub level is 5dB too low... and you have a big lump at 60Hz.

You either have a lump at 10khz (unusual) or you have holes at in the lowmids and at 2-3khz (more likely, and not necessarily a big issue, as it's just "how you're measuring" rather than a problem you should solve) .... if it's the later, then the sub level is at least 5dB too low.

I should turn the sub up 5db. If I go up any more I think the house will explode ha ha.

Thanks for your time i measured at listening position then about 30cm each side and in front and back

Edited by Bush thug

Returning to the Rythmik EQ, the easiest way is to use the mic in your phone with a free RTA or FFT app.

They are usually calibrated to take into account the vagaries of the phone mic.

You should be able to identify the biggest mode (in the case above the one at 60hz) and pull that down.

Then you run your Room EQ.

Edited by sfdoddsy