WTB: floorstanding / Large Bookshelf Speakers

First of all apologies for the late reply and thanks everyone for the detailed responses . And all for the healthy debate on some of the models, all makes for a good read! 😂 

Some nice speakers suggested which I've passed on. The friend is located in Prahran, Melbourne just for clarification. We'd be happy to ship something though. 

On picking his brain a bit more, he's a big fan of vintage speakers (or at least ones that look that way - it's for a vinyl setup he has been building). Which is why I'd initially thought an old JBL monitor or similar. Have to be patient with those popping up though - or maybe something will come out of the woodwork. 

Another thought was something like a Yamaha NS690. I had these and sold them off,  but thought they were great sounding and a good introductory pair. Something along those lines would be great.

image.png.9454a45d44c67b8c7b5f1d85fb200eb0.png

Cheers

Edited by jack_b
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Out of respect for the OP you really need to start your own thread on these issues.

Item: Speakers Price Range: up to 1k Item Condition: New or Used Extra Info:   Looking for some second hand speakers for a friend. Budget about 1k. Open to any offers / suggestions. 

Try these. You won't regret it.  

There is something about older speakers that I also like, yes I went down the electrostatic route (magneplanars) and other well known speakers, but kept searching for that 'nice' sound.

If you can get your hands on a pair of used focal 816v floor standers you will be quite happy with them, in fact I have found most focal speakers to be very enjoyable to the point where you can listen to for long periods without fatigue.  Maybe a pair of B&W 302 s2 are also nice. 

eventually Ive gone back to a pair of Harbeth SHL5+ and never looked back, they are amazing on most types of music or certainly the music I listen to (they do have their limitations, they dont rock like a pair of Monitor Audio's, or JBL's) but I didnt purchase them for that in mind.

My advice would be to take what electronics to a good hifi retailer (Tivoli HIFI) have a chat with the team and see what sound you prefer and they have years and years of experience and should be able to point you in the right direction with some older stuff

May I suggest a pair of KEF reference 104Ab, they should be well in the budget suggested.

• 2 weeks later...

Buy the DM2 and be done, they are very good.

Edited by Batty