WTB: floorstanding / Large Bookshelf Speakers

Jack_

Item: Speakers
Price Range: up to 1k
Item Condition: New or Used
Extra Info:

Looking for some second hand speakers for a friend. Budget about 1k. Open to any offers / suggestions. 

Their preference is for floorstanders or large bookshelves. Some old JBL monitors or similar would be great. 

• Like 1

"There have been a couple of sets of those for sale on and off for a while, and for good reason, they don't sound too flash."

They might look the same, but the common version are the 4 ohms ones that appear on and off. Those might not sound 'flash' to you, but did you use a D amp or a suitable amps with them. 

20 hours ago, t_mike said:

There have been a couple of sets of those for sale on and off for a while, and for good reason, they don't sound too flash.

Have you any experiences with this particular one. What amp were you using? Have you sold yours? This is the only one on the internet. There was another recently sold, but it was the usual  4 ohms ones. 4 ohms type are only suited for certain amps. It might not sound to your liking, but then I didn't like the LS35A- I thought it was completely hopeless!

Looks like the OP has numerous suggestions, most of which are very good, particularly the Richter and Sonique for floor standing models and the MA Silver for a stand mount that really kicks arse.

Just to clarify one thing though, the LS3/5A are not a large stand mount ,in fact they are one of the smallest around.

I also agree that the ALR Jordan would be well worth avoiding.

5 minutes ago, rantan said:

Looks like the OP has numerous suggestions, most of which are very good, particularly the Richter and Sonique for floor standing models and the MA Silver for a stand mount that really kicks arse.

Just to clarify one thing though, the LS3/5A are not a large stand mount ,in fact they are one of the smallest around.

I also agree that the ALR Jordan would be well worth avoiding.

Why ? Have you had one? There are two revered designers behind them. Are you any?

Just now, buddyev said:

Are these your speakers for sale?

Are they good? Are they bad? Any experiences? I had a pair of Goodman Maxim 2.. They sounded lacklustre and would be disregarded immediately. Pair them with a Naim Nait, they sounded incredible, even with a sony proffessional walkman. You have to back up what you say . It bad, it horrible, so what, but why?

23 hours ago, roachy said:

Again depending on location, I'm in Vic, have a pair of Richter Dragon MK2 in very good condition that would be well within your budget 

My have positive experiences with Richter.  I found the mids to be as good as a pair of electrostatics I have, but I was in a smallish room at the time. 

18 hours ago, brabs said:

To follow my post up, mine are mirage om-12 floorstanders, I have om-c2 centre and Om-r2 surrounds. I’m in Hastings on Mornington peninsula. If fairly local I can deliver.

Canadian  speakers have unfair advantage.  They are designed with the help of the government. The National research Council provides facilities for testing at nominal costs 

You should mentioned the amplifier that will be used for the speakers. Best is for your friend and you to have a listen, with the intended amplifier- difficult at this time. Speakers also have a very subjective nature, but the accompanying amplifier is important.

23 hours ago, net said:

"There have been a couple of sets of those for sale on and off for a while, and for good reason, they don't sound too flash."

They might look the same, but the common version are the 4 ohms ones that appear on and off. Those might not sound 'flash' to you, but did you use a D amp or a suitable amps with them. 

I was originally intending to not answer this as I didn't want to pollute the OP's thread with irrelevant posts. However, as you are posting in polliferation  I will. 

My experience goes back a few years when shopping for speakers, I was at a well known high end audio store, in a well set up listening room, with a lot of equipment to change over easily. I can't tell you what the impedance of the speakers were, only that the were the Entry XL model. Amps used were all high power, high current components in both stereo and monoblock configuration. The brands were Gryphon, Krell and Sugden, all capable of driving any speaker, and well and truely above what would be expected to be powering these speakers. They were compared to some baby Thiels as well as other more expensive speakers. The ALR  Jordan's were simply belitted by all of them. At the time, the ALRs were being offered at the same price as the Thiels, and after comparing, the sales assistant was embarrassed that they were shown together. The ALRs had bumps and lows throughout the frequency range, and the soundstage was a mess to the point of being annoying. That's not to say that the reproduction wasn't clear, it certainly was, but the sound was presented in a very uneven fashion. I distinctly remember the model so as to avoid in the future.

That's my impression, YMMV.

I have a pair of Mordaunt Short MS 502 (Declaration series with built in powered subwoofers) that are gathering dust. They are remarkable speakers and very detailed. I paid close to $7000 new.

These are part of a 5.1 package, i am prepared to sell the 2x dipole rears and center also. PM me if you are interested and we can come to a reasonable price.

20200911_140543.jpg