Cartridge Help - Technics SL1200G

Hi - my Technics 1200G has finally arrived, Now to find a cartridge for it.

MM - Under $1000 (Yes I know a much better more expensive cartridge would be ideal - but with the current COVID situation I don't want to spend too much at the moment.)

Anyone have any suggestions as to something that would be very good to get started with that is compatible?

Happy to consider 2nd hand if someone here has something that they are looking to move on.

Thanks

Lance

Ortofon 2M Black. Best sounding MM cart I’ve heard in that price range. Retails around $1100 but if you shop around you should be able to buy close to 900 new

Congrats. Awesome-looking deck  :) 

Edited by RankStranger

Congrats on the new Technics!

Good place for MM is local with Garrotts optim which is a fine cart.

Or more mainstream Ortofon 2m black.

Some info on type of music you play and sound signiutre you prefer. ie big bass, detailed or smooth.

Here are the important specs required, maybe @andyr or @catman can make suggestions from here.

Specification  
Input Terminals  
Phono (MM)  
  Frequency Response (RIAA) ±0.5dB
  Signal-to-Noise Ratio (IHF-A Network) 84dB
  Input Impedance Phono 1 MM 27kΩ/47kΩ/100kΩ
Phono 2 MM 47kΩ
  Input Sensitivity 2.8mV
  Input Equivalent Noise 0.24µV
  Dynamic Range 120dB
Phono (MC)  
  Input Impedance 100Ω
  Input Sensitivity 220µV
Aux  
  Input Impedance 37kΩ
  Input Sensitivity 150mV
  Frequency Response (±1dB) 5Hz-100kHz
Output Voltage/Impedance 1kHz  
  Tape Out
  Pre Out
430mV/470Ω
1.5V/220Ω

24 minutes ago, t_mike said:

Here are the important specs required, maybe @andyr or @catman can make suggestions from here.

Specification  
Input Terminals  
Phono (MM)  
  Frequency Response (RIAA) ±0.5dB
  Signal-to-Noise Ratio (IHF-A Network) 84dB
  Input Impedance Phono 1 MM 27kΩ/47kΩ/100kΩ
Phono 2 MM 47kΩ
  Input Sensitivity 2.8mV
  Input Equivalent Noise 0.24µV
  Dynamic Range 120dB
Phono (MC)  
  Input Impedance 100Ω
  Input Sensitivity 220µV
Aux  
  Input Impedance 37kΩ
  Input Sensitivity 150mV
  Frequency Response (±1dB) 5Hz-100kHz
Output Voltage/Impedance 1kHz  
  Tape Out
  Pre Out
430mV/470Ω
1.5V/220Ω

Mmmm, Mike - my comments are as follows:

• very limiting as a LOMC phono stage (only load option is 100 ohms)
  • very flexible as a MM phono stage.

So it is a great phono stage for any number of MMs:

• classic Japanese ones (which typically like a 100K load rather than the modern standard of 47K)
  • wood-bodied Grados (which are often played with a 35K load, rather than 47K ... so the 27K option might make them sound even better!  :) )
  • and 'normal' MMs / HOMCs with an output from probably 2mV ... to 5mV.

Andy

1 hour ago, LancePeT said:

Yes, a nice-sounding cart - I had one for many years.  It's the bottom of the Grado Reference range (4mV) - there are (or there used to be) 3 higher:

• Sonata
  • Master
  • Reference.

Sorry - can't advise how it sounds vs. the Garrott Optim that @McCvinyl recommended - however, this is double the price.  :(  Another good MM is the Garrott P77i - a bit more than the Grado Platinum.

Andy

I have the Garrott P77i which I rotate in and out of my Technics SL1200mkii and rate it,  your Technics out performs the SL1200mkII so should work well and come in considerably under budget.

I have the Garrott  Optim FGS Optim fitted to a MH 9.1 and really rate it - I don't rotate the FGS Optim, but have no desire too either at this stage. 

Cant go wrong with either if you like that laid back non fatiguing sound that keeps detail.  Fit with tail slightly up and you'll be happy I think.  Hard to find reviews on either cart but there is a thread on the P77i on this forum, just use the search function it should pop up.

Technics EPC205II or mk3 with a Jico SAS ruby. This is the best cartridge I have ever owned, beats every single high $$$ MC I have had and under $1k.......... We usually associate MC and spending a lot of $$ with high end sound so I was blown away when I tried this MM. I now have 205II on my linear arm and a mk3 on my EPA100.

IMO you will be hard pressed to find anything under $5k that'll beat it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Warren Jones said:

Technics EPC205II or mk3 with a Jico SAS ruby. This is the best cartridge I have ever owned, beats every single high $$$ MC I have had and under $1k.......... We usually associate MC and spending a lot of $$ with high end sound so I was blown away when I tried this MM. I now have 205II on my linear arm and a mk3 on my EPA100.

Interested, how is it with classical? 

2 hours ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

Interested, how is it with classical? 

My music tastes are varied so listen to everything from AC/DC, to Frank Sinatra and light Classical.

It works for everything I play. It's extremely revealing and detailed which can make poor pressings unpleasant. A good pressing and this thing makes the hairs on the back of the neck stand up.

I love it, it'll be the only cartridge I use from now until........ I have sold all of my MC's and may even sell my XSV3000 and 881s.

On 09/09/2020 at 8:36 PM, Warren Jones said:

I have the EPC205II with the Jico SAS boron, on a Technics SL-1700 MK2 and it’s heaven. Can’t say I have much to compare it to, but it sounds fantastic.

Great bass, clear highs. Just seems to make everything sound better.

It’s streets ahead of an AT95E With Jico elliptical and an EPC270C with Jico elliptical, and those carts aren’t terrible. Not exactly high end carts though.

Mr Relish

I have 3 styluses for the 205 an original Technics mk3 a Jico SAS boron and ruby. I do not have a Technics mk2 stylus.

The EPC205mk3 stylus is very good and the Jico SAS/B is as good with a little more detail due to the ML diamond. This combo is exceptional.

The SAS/R is in another league, after hearing this stylus I won't be using anything else on my 205. I paid $315USD delivered, a pretty good deal if you ask me for the performance. I just hope Jico never discontinue it.

Edited by Warren Jones

Best MM if you consider used is an EPC 205cmk3 with a Jico boron stylus sas (MR) this is one of the best carts I own and I have 60 carts or more.

Best cart I have ever heard MM MI or MC is a Decca super gold which is over you budget but it is another lever to any other cart. All others are music the London super gold as it is called now is like being on the stage with the musicians, really jaw dropping.

I have Dynavector 17d3 Benz micro glider  and lot of other MC the London is another level.  The EPC is not my best cart but scary good there are not many carts out there that do what this does regardless of price. I retip cars and check them all and I have had some serious carts in my home and I would not swap ANY for my Decca and the EPC either.

Chris

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cafe latte said:

Best MM if you consider used is an EPC 205cmk3 with a Jico boron stylus sas (MR) this is one of the best carts I own and I have 60 carts or more.

Best cart I have ever heard MM MI or MC is a Decca super gold which is over you budget but it is another lever to any other cart. All others are music the London super gold as it is called now is like being on the stage with the musicians, really jaw dropping.

I have Dynavector 17d3 Benz micro glider  and lot of other MC the London is another level.  The EPC is not my best cart but scary good there are not many carts out there that do what this does regardless of price. I retip cars and check them all and I have had some serious carts in my home and I would not swap ANY for my Decca and the EPC either.

Chris

I think I will take your advice and search for a mkIII.

‘Is there a Australian supplier for the Jico stylus?
Just have to find a mkiii at a reasonable price ?

Edited by LancePeT
More info

On 09/09/2020 at 11:51 AM, RankStranger said:

Ortofon 2M Black. Best sounding MM cart I’ve heard in that price range. Retails around $1100 but if you shop around you should be able to buy close to 900 new

Congrats. Awesome-looking deck  :) 

Totally agree, As an entry, the 2M Blue was pretty good, but the black has separation, and stage height that surpasses even some digital. Nice mactch to the GR. It does come on special now and again, so worth the wait.