New Denon AVC-A110 Vs AVR-X8500

So the new AVC-A110 announced and ......  I am disappointed.

Just seems to be an 8500 in drag!  Am I being harsh?   When I saw the announcement I was hoping we may finally have a new top end Denon Prepro.  Instead we end up with an 8500 that “features an all black interior” and a bigger price.   Given the way AV amps depreciate this seems nuts.  

Disappointed!    

DA743B44-24D1-4BDC-9AD6-F6DEF3A76B9F.thumb.jpeg.e470ccdf652179bd346dfbae8a941a22.jpeg8288AA24-9A7E-4D01-A004-7C4EAB673E00.thumb.jpeg.a77b4fec2b2d2b6b9f46b12940d74c40.jpeg9A35F5F0-E01F-4BCD-B231-306C31DD1586.thumb.jpeg.5d9469a8eb9ab55394ba51393d6de2e7.jpeg0A382A06-0B90-4DA6-801D-8AB7AA9635E8.thumb.jpeg.ba81a5f67d5786c884c0320346e65894.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you want to know how the two compare... Here goes https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2020/11/denon-avc-a110-review-and-how-it.html 

Agree, we all recognise that manufacturers, distributors and retailers all need to make a profit, but huge price increases will only shrink the local market for these brands, not grow it.  

I think it's been run in enough... I'll begin serious listening trials this weekend..   Stay tuned... 

The disappointing part is that there are more words about how it looks than how it sounds!  

There  seems to be a worrying trend from D&M (recent marantz offerings) showing that the marketing ponytails are in charge and not the engineers. I hope that once the 110 arrives someone will be able to hear what it can do and confirm that the extra $ isn’t just for eye candy.  

For a start if they want my cash they could make the new units “Roon ready” and not just “Roon tested”.  Much more desirable than a different colour.

Edited by Steam

Came here to see what people thought of this.  They come in significantly more expensive than the 8500H.  The big kicker is that with all that "HDMI 2.1 upgradability" stuff that was going on, there's no 8K60 support on the X8500H; a lot of the tech made it into this one, though!

The amp appears to be the same design, or at least incredibly similar to the X8500H.  I really do wonder why there was no upgrade architecture developed for these. 

At least the good news is that there should be some cheaper X8500H's out there.  I'm not sure what 8K sources exist yet, but all I need is something that does eARC HDMI audio extraction from a compatible 8K TV and I'll be good to run the A1HD stack for many years yet!

Did you see their new SACD player? Chassis looks remarkably like the DVD-A1UD.

I'd like to think positive.. it makes my 8500 a bigger value proposition...

I'll see if I can get one of these to try out... but I'm more keen on the stereo amp, and compare it to my Marantz..

16 hours ago, Zardoz said:

Came here to see what people thought of this.  They come in significantly more expensive than the 8500H.  The big kicker is that with all that "HDMI 2.1 upgradability" stuff that was going on, there's no 8K60 support on the X8500H; a lot of the tech made it into this one, though!

The amp appears to be the same design, or at least incredibly similar to the X8500H.  I really do wonder why there was no upgrade architecture developed for these. 

The X8500H will receive the exact same HDMI 2.1 board 4K/120Hz 8K/60Hz (1 Input/2 Outputs) capability as the 2020 range & the AVC-A110 sometime in January 2021, price for the board upgrade is of course still TBD.

On 10/09/2020 at 4:35 PM, Oniiz86 said:

The X8500H will receive the exact same HDMI 2.1 board 4K/120Hz 8K/60Hz (1 Input/2 Outputs) capability as the 2020 range & the AVC-A110 sometime in January 2021, price for the board upgrade is of course still TBD.

Please take this with a grain of uncertain salt but I asked about the board upgrade through my local dealer, whom contacted the distributor in Australia and I was told the upgrade would be $1700 and an increase in RRP of the X8500HA (i.e. the unit already upgraded)  to $9K! I am not stating this as fact, just what I was told. Apparently happening in March 2021.

Edited by paulie83

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, paulie83 said:

Please take this with a grain of uncertain salt but I asked about the board upgrade through my local dealer, whom contacted the distributor in Australia and I was told the upgrade would be $1700 and an increase in RRP of the X8500HA (i.e. the unit already upgraded)  to $9K! I am not stating this as fact, just what I was told. Apparently happening in March 2021.

oh gosh... that is a hike and takes to another stratopheric... but it might explain the A110 AVR models price in some sense then.

ps we saw similar update with the marantz av8802A where we got a hdmi hardware update and the price of the unit went up suitably...from $6.5k thing to $7.7k thing. the shrive to update though i couldn't fault... white glove. drop off pick up same day or next... easy as pie... :)  

42 minutes ago, betty boop said:

oh gosh... that is a hike and takes to another stratopheric... but it might explain the A110 AVR models price in some sense then.

ps we saw similar update with the marantz av8802A where we got a hdmi hardware update and the price of the unit went up suitably...from $6.5k thing to $7.7k thing. the shrive to update though i couldn't fault... white glove. drop off pick up same day or next... easy as pie... :)  

Ok starts to all make sense then.  You only add $2k for the Silly cosmetic stuff.

so if the 8500 is $9k  does that mean the upgraded 8805 Crosses $10k?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Steam said:

Ok starts to all make sense then.  You only add $2k for the Silly cosmetic stuff.

so if the 8500 is $9k  does that mean the upgraded 8805 Crosses $10k?

Anniversary Edition AVC-A110 A/V amplifier ($11,400 RRP)

https://www.stereo.net.au/news/denon-reveals-110th-anniversary-range

12 minutes ago, betty boop said:

?  I was speculating on the cost of the maranta 8805a.  If the Denon 8500HA is to be 9k then the marantz 8805 could become  10+ k.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Steam said:

?  I was speculating on the cost of the maranta 8805a.  If the Denon 8500HA is to be 9k then the marantz 8805 could become  10+ k.

sorry got confused as we were talking the a110 series here.

but yeah 8500 goes for $8k these days... so yeah a $9700 thing with update. which is a bit hard to fathom quite frankly !  getting out of hand :D 

• Like 1

The price of the Denon AVR-A110 110th Anniversary 13CH Receiver is $5,500 USD in the US.

https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/denon-a110

https://usa.denon.com/en-us/shop/receivers/avra110

The $11,400 RRP in Australia is simply ludicrous IMHO.

Edited by bizzibee
  • Moderators
2 minutes ago, bizzibee said:

The price of the Denon AVR-A110 110th Anniversary 13CH Receiver is $5,500 USD in the US.

good link there BB,

some questions i was asking @Marc in the other denon anniversary thread. Appreciate audioholics jumped on it and have managed to get from denon why exactly it costs more over regular version its based on. 

"The new Anniversary Edition AVR-A110 is $1,500 more expensive than the AVR-x8500H and after looking at the specs we weren’t really sure what you're getting for that price other than the nicer chassis and 110th logo on the faceplates- which by the way, looks really cool!

After speaking with Denon we got clarification that the A110 does give you a specially tuned receiver by Denon Master Engineer Takahashi, Yuuki, a 5 year warranty (up from 3 years on the X8500H), and upgraded components in key areas that affect sound quality like specialized capacitors, lower impedance traces, and a more rigid chassis.

The functionality remains the same with the AVR-X8500H.  Our goal was not to add $1,500 of additional functionality on the AVR-X8500H. Instead, we went crazy doing the stuff we usually don’t do for our regular lineup due to cost limitations, competitiveness and so on. Instead, we made it something unique and special for the anniversary. We just unleashed our sound engineers so that they could make their dream product based on the existing AVR-X8500H platform and we spent a lot of time and effort on the authenticity of the product, not just external cosmetic but inside of the product as well. You will not likely see anything like this in the future from us.

--Yoshinori Yamada, AVR Category Director, Sound United

As mentioned, each AVR-A110 is tuned by a Denon sound master at its component level to solidify its place as one of the most special AV receivers Denon has ever produced. The AV receiver’s all-black interior is housed in a limited-edition silver-graphite finish with aluminum front and side panels, custom die cast feet and a copper transformer plate for “superior” isolation."

ofcourse there is also the cost of the A upgrade built in already that folks wouldn't realise. 

I agrees yes 5500usd RRP to $11,400 aud sill doesnt translate but thats probably typical of usual pricing we are seeing of late.... 

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/09/2020 at 1:58 PM, betty boop said:

On 15/09/2020 at 6:05 PM, bizzibee said:

Just when you thought the RRP of $11,400 wasn't crazy enough it has seemingly increased an extra $590, so it's RRP will be $11,990 & be available just in time for Christmas, according to Carlton Audio Visual https://www.carltonaudiovisual.com.au/home-theatre/surround-receivers/denon-avc-a110-anniversary-flagship-13-2-channel-8k-receiver-due-24th-december.html

Edited by Oniiz86
1 minute ago, Oniiz86 said:

Just when you thought the RRP of $11,400 wasn't crazy enough it has seemingly increased an extra $590, so it's RRP will be $11,990  & be available just in time for Christmas, according to Carlton Audio Visual https://www.carltonaudiovisual.com.au/home-theatre/surround-receivers/denon-avc-a110-anniversary-flagship-13-2-channel-8k-receiver-due-24th-december.html

Wow.  I just collected an X8500 for less than half that price.  Hard to imagine it could sound twice as good.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Steam said:

Wow.  I just collected an X8500 for less than half that price.  Hard to imagine it could sound twice as good.

But but you will be missing out on that lovely 110th Anniversary "Audio Tuning" employed on the AVC-A110 model AND that lovely all Black interior :)

Edited by Oniiz86
6 minutes ago, Oniiz86 said:

But but you will be missing out on that lovely 110th Anniversary "Audio Tuning" employed on the AVC-A110 model AND that lovely all Black interior :)

I was surprised that some of the boards in the 8500 are also black.  So....

2 hours ago, Oniiz86 said:

Just when you thought the RRP of $11,400 wasn't crazy enough it has seemingly increased an extra $590, so it's RRP will be $11,990 & be available just in time for Christmas, according to Carlton Audio Visual https://www.carltonaudiovisual.com.au/home-theatre/surround-receivers/denon-avc-a110-anniversary-flagship-13-2-channel-8k-receiver-due-24th-december.html

That's just silly pricing. I can see my next upgrade won't be Denon/Marantz.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Quark said:

That's just silly pricing. I can see my next upgrade won't be Denon/Marantz.

Very brave to admit the component bill of material cost isnt all that for the 8805 Rob :) too much competition at these prices ; with dirac bass management etc  like audio control among others

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, cwt said:

Very brave to admit the component bill of material cost isnt all that for the 8805 Rob :) too much competition at these prices ; with dirac bass management etc  like audio control among others

Agree, we all recognise that manufacturers, distributors and retailers all need to make a profit, but huge price increases will only shrink the local market for these brands, not grow it.

At the moment, brands like Anthem are looking better value.

Just wish Yamaha would switch their room correction over to Dirac or Audyssey to make their product competitive on more than just price. Pioneer/Onkyo switching over to Dirac will get me to have another look at their offerings too, in future.

• Like 3
On 15/09/2020 at 11:05 AM, paulie83 said:

It's been said in the States that the X8500HA along with the "A" 2.1 board upgrade have been postponed until sometime April-June 2021, so I do not think Australia will see it anytime before then, as if it wasn't dragged out enough, I don't understand because they have released their 2020 range globally but I get it, they are prioritising them over the "Old Hat" 2018 X8500H, unbelievably frustrating for owners that were looking forward to it even at the astronomically high price of "only" $1700 :(

Edited by Oniiz86
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/09/2020 at 12:37 AM, petetherock said:

I'd like to think positive.. it makes my 8500 a bigger value proposition...

I'll see if I can get one of these to try out... but I'm more keen on the stereo amp, and compare it to my Marantz..

image.thumb.png.3dd2838e7124d5f2990da5d690ae6f41.pngDoes anyone want a review?

Heh... 

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, petetherock said:

Does anyone want a review?

Heh... 

Sure do.  

‘they made a big deal about the change of colour but that photo doesn’t seem to make it look that special.

Edited by Steam
3 hours ago, Steam said:

Sure do.  

‘they made a big deal about the change of colour but that photo doesn’t seem to make it look that special.

Whilst the Silver Graphite does look very nice, my Australian exclusive "Premium Silver" unit looks every bit as elegant as the AVC-A110, I'm sorry I just can't get past the almost $12,000 price tag, I undertsand that is it's RRP but still even if you could pick one up for $10,000 it would still be a bit too rich, I get it though you can't underestimate the ability it has for "bragging rights" :) 

On 08/11/2020 at 11:57 AM, petetherock said:

Does anyone want a review?

Heh... 

So...  what do you think?  Should I sell the cat n trade my 8500 for the 110?  Or wait until Denon get serious.

Edited by Steam
1 hour ago, Steam said:

So...  what do you think?  Should I sell the cat n trade my 8500 for the 110?  Or wait until Denon get serious.

Yes you should and then sell me your 8500 😃

Edited by flamjam
  • Like 1

I have an AVC X8500 for 18months Luv it depsite Unreliability with HDMI board and extremely poor denon service.

But in UK AVC X8500 typically £3,500 compared to £5,000 for A110. For what? HDMI upgrade most of us may never use? All smells a bit to me...

13 hours ago, goonybird said:

I have an AVC X8500 for 18months Luv it depsite Unreliability with HDMI board and extremely poor denon service.

But in UK AVC X8500 typically £3,500 compared to £5,000 for A110. For what? HDMI upgrade most of us may never use? All smells a bit to me...

ITS always interesting the mark ups applied elsewhere goony ; the 2.1 upgrade is moot anyway -the 8500 gets it as well. The question is when considering the 120hz playback foul up :$

On 08/11/2020 at 11:57 AM, petetherock said:

image.thumb.png.3dd2838e7124d5f2990da5d690ae6f41.pngDoes anyone want a review?

Heh... 

You have a Denon AVC-A110 & Denon AVR-X8500?

Edited by bizzibee