New Denon AVC-A110 Vs AVR-X8500

33 minutes ago, petetherock said:

Does anyone want a review?

Heh... 

Sure do.  

‘they made a big deal about the change of colour but that photo doesn’t seem to make it look that special.

Edited by Steam

3 hours ago, Steam said:

Sure do.  

‘they made a big deal about the change of colour but that photo doesn’t seem to make it look that special.

Whilst the Silver Graphite does look very nice, my Australian exclusive "Premium Silver" unit looks every bit as elegant as the AVC-A110, I'm sorry I just can't get past the almost $12,000 price tag, I undertsand that is it's RRP but still even if you could pick one up for $10,000 it would still be a bit too rich, I get it though you can't underestimate the ability it has for "bragging rights" :) 

On 08/11/2020 at 11:57 AM, petetherock said:

Does anyone want a review?

Heh... 

So...  what do you think?  Should I sell the cat n trade my 8500 for the 110?  Or wait until Denon get serious.

Edited by Steam

1 hour ago, Steam said:

So...  what do you think?  Should I sell the cat n trade my 8500 for the 110?  Or wait until Denon get serious.

Yes you should and then sell me your 8500 ?

Edited by flamjam
  • Like 1

I have an AVC X8500 for 18months Luv it depsite Unreliability with HDMI board and extremely poor denon service.

But in UK AVC X8500 typically £3,500 compared to £5,000 for A110. For what? HDMI upgrade most of us may never use? All smells a bit to me...

13 hours ago, goonybird said:

I have an AVC X8500 for 18months Luv it depsite Unreliability with HDMI board and extremely poor denon service.

But in UK AVC X8500 typically £3,500 compared to £5,000 for A110. For what? HDMI upgrade most of us may never use? All smells a bit to me...

ITS always interesting the mark ups applied elsewhere goony ; the 2.1 upgrade is moot anyway -the 8500 gets it as well. The question is when considering the 120hz playback foul up :$

• 4 weeks later...
On 01/10/2020 at 3:25 PM, Oniiz86 said:

Just when you thought the RRP of $11,400 wasn't crazy enough it has seemingly increased an extra $590, so it's RRP will be $11,990 & be available just in time for Christmas, according to Carlton Audio Visual https://www.carltonaudiovisual.com.au/home-theatre/surround-receivers/denon-avc-a110-anniversary-flagship-13-2-channel-8k-receiver-due-24th-december.html

It seems a couple of retailers are listing the AVC-A110 at a price of $11,390 the initial projected RRP announced back in September, KlappAV in Prahan, Melbourne https://klappav.com.au/products/avc-a110gs-110th-anniversary-edition-av-amplifier-with-heos-built-in?_pos=4&_sid=a5dce2fd0&_ss=r & Hollywood Cinema Store in Narre Warren, Melbourne https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=427151332027296&id=100693974673035&__tn__=-R

8 hours ago, cwt said:

Hard to believe things nowadays when a Mcintosh with denon internals is cheaper [and less cluttered :) ]

McIntosh MX100 A/V Processor | Klapp Audio Visual (klappav.com.au)

How do you know it’s Denon internals?  I’m not surprised if it does - but wondering what parts they used.  Do the menu’s all look Denon?

4 hours ago, Steam said:

How do you know it’s Denon internals?  I’m not surprised if it does - but wondering what parts they used.  Do the menu’s all look Denon?

Just general info Steam that Mcintosh use denon/marantz [ d/h holdings] as there oem basis circuitry for years with a few tweaks here and there . Like Marantz tweak things with hdams etc  

Thats what smaller entities tend to do these days looking at all the brands like JBL Synthesis audio control etc  basing theirs on the new Arcams  16ch . Helps  explain the car crash of firmware downloads a few required relying on Arcam to supply them ..

Marantz vs McIntosh AV preamp guts | AVForums

On 14/12/2020 at 10:37 PM, Oniiz86 said:

It seems a couple of retailers are listing the AVC-A110 at a price of $11,390 the initial projected RRP announced back in September

Seeing that pricing makes me feel better (although I’ve never felt bad) about my recent purchase of an 8500h! Loving it so far, it’s like the Swiss Army knife of AVR’s. So much flexibility!

Edited by flamjam
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...

If you were quoted $6600AU for an 8500H (pre 2.1 HDMI upgrade) what would you pay for a A110 that already includes the 2.1 update and the anniversary tweaks?  (assuming HDMI 2.1 8500H upgrade will be $1500)

PS> Im aware of the 2.1 4K120 Hardware bug but that wont affect me and the HDMI board upgrades for the 8500H are probably never going to get here before middle of next year if not end of next year. (and I've been using a Sony STRDA 5200ES for 15 years waiting for this standards mess on HDMI, HDR and Audio to sort it's Sxxx out!)

Edited by Hilton

On 27/01/2021 at 4:38 PM, Hilton said:

If you were quoted $6600AU for an 8500H (pre 2.1 HDMI upgrade) what would you pay for a A110 that already includes the 2.1 update and the anniversary tweaks?  (assuming HDMI 2.1 8500H upgrade will be $1500)

I wouldn’t think you’d have to pay anywhere near $6600 for an 8500h.

43 minutes ago, Hilton said:

What price do you think the dealers are selling them for then?  RRP is $7199.... ????

I paid under well under $6k a couple of months ago for mine. There are retailers out there who bought stock before the price went up. Under $6k is common.