Sign in to follow this  
wixy

Vinyl Cleaning Kits

@@soundfan ,Chris, are you using their liquid or are you using your own recipe?

I've always made my own;  Isopropyl alcohol, demineralised water, and a couple of drops of Finish.

Exactly the same as me, courtesy of Telecine originally.

yeh, I use Iso Alcohol, Distilled water and a touch of photo flo.  So, very similar.

It didn't take much reading to arrive at that.  Technique took a few runs through and I quickly moved to a Vac RCM (PHK).

It's so simple but people keep trying to make it hard for themselves by using stupid stuff like WD40 etc.  I often can't be bothered telling people AGAIN how to do it when it's all online over and over again.

I've been thinking about using an old TT to spin my records while cleaning. Got an old Luxman PD264 which everyone seems to think is a crap representative of the lineup so might try that. Although I guess the cleaning fluid is going to stuff up the player eventually isn't it.

Would this work?

Karcher-Pressure-Washer.jpg

:confused:

Edited by Dirty_vinylpusher

Can you please provide evidence for your claims? And I don't mean anecdotal.

Cheers

Sorry, you are asking me to prove a negative, anecdotes are what you will get.

Ever hear a record damaged by a cleaning mixture containing alcohol? In over 40 years of listening to records I haven't. Has anyone come up with a scientific explanation as to why a cleaning fluid containing alcohol would damage a vinyl record? I have never seen one.

I have spent decades listening to records and reading about records.Record cleaning has always been a hot topic, many many articles have been written on this and I'm yet to find a convincing argument as to why a solvent such as isopropyl alcohol would damage vinyl records. For decades alcohol based cleaners have been sold by many many companies. Surely if there is an issue with alcohol based cleaners the millions of records cleaned with alcohol based cleaners would have revealed the issue.

The burden of proof lies with those who claim alcohol based cleaners are harmful to vinyl records. I understand there is an argument that alcohol can lead to the loss of the plasticiser or stabiliser in the vinyl but I haven't heard of this being a real world issue and I wonder how this can be the case given that the record is exposed to the diluted alcohol for a matter of minutes before the cleaning fluid is removed and generally this is followed by a rinse in distilled water. I think leaving the record dirty is a far higher risk factor.

The detergent argument is self evident - a detergent which does not leave a residue will be fine unless it contains a substance which damages vinyl, those that do leave a residue are leaving dirt on the record.

DS

PS, maybe an experiment is in order. I certainly have some garbage vinyl lying around and I have a large container of isopropyl. I could immerse part of the record in the alcohol and see what happens over time. One problem with this will be that isopropyl evaporates easily but I could break off a bit of record and put it in a bath of isopropyl in a sealed container.

Edited by davidsss

Evil-E and Ice-T go for alcohol and ivory soap.

Edited by Monty

Sorry, you are asking me to prove a negative, anecdotes are what you will get.

I accept that the vast bulk of anecdotal evidence favours the negative. It is easy to see that much of the article comes across as reactive against other claims, but I have no problems with its precautionary basis.

Perhaps someone with a chemustry background would like to comment?

Edited by rehabitat