Audio Research and Dynaudio

I run a pair of C1 with a AR VSI75 equipped with KT150. Both speakers and the amp were purchased from new. The Dyns now have almost 2,500 hrs and the amp 1,800. My experience with both is that they sounded 'dreadful' until you reach above 800 hours of use. Now they both sound great with solid bass, incredible sound staging, great dynamic and superb clarity. I think a number of other factors have also contributed to this remarkable change. In my case, the room size, the cables I use (Power, speakers and interconnects) and the upstream equipment i.e. DAC, Streamer, CD transport. I remember testing out a PS Audio Junior Streamer once and it won't play with the AR. The sound was lifeless even after cranking the volume to almost 80%. 

I don't have any AR experience, but If looking at Dyns and valves, I'd look at the Special Forties more than their 'serious' speakers, as the S40s are an easier load (min 4.9ohms, but mostly around 8 according to Stereophile). I'm listening to a pair right now, driven by a little Weston Topaz 6CA7, and the result is pretty satisfying in a small room. I'm sure the bigger ARs would have no problem.