Audio Research and Dynaudio

Never really liked the Vsi60 or Vsi75 on Excite, Focus or Contour. Didn't like the Ref75 either. This was all with 120s and don't remember trying once upgraded to 150s. Ref150se was different but I liked it on everything that it had enough grunt to power :). 

Octave valve amps worked well though. I liked the McIntosh Mc275 too. 

Would really have to see for yourself though and depend on what Dyns you have or plan on. 

• Like 1

Owned a lot of Dyns  and generally they do not work that  well with valves in my experience .....they are a challenging load . High current amplifiers get the best out of Dyns. AR amps are not known for being high current so I would suggest not a great match if you want grip and control of the Dyns.

• Like 3

I have C2 Plat.  I have run them with my valve McIntosh MC75's and just okay, wouldn't recommend it.  Brilliant with good SS amps,  main system is Accuphase A70 and Supratek valve pre, the Class A amp really reproduces great detail on the C2's.  Before this had them running with a Bryston 4bsst and Ayon valve pre, which was also a good combo but just lacked a bit at low volume, give it some ooph and they came alive.  As others have said I also think they need big SS amps to get the most out of them.

Edited by Rosco8
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 07/09/2020 at 10:05 PM, blakey72 said:

This is the best amp I've heard my Dyns with. They also sounded very good with a Creek Evolution 100A.

That's great to see,  I've been toying for weeks about a new unit to drive Dyn's S3.4 with, which are hungry for power.   

Down to to the Hautonga and Hegel H190 although dubious about their soundengine 2 (hard to find anything about it actually working) and the so so DAC.  

Edited by Boxa
typo

23 hours ago, Boxa said:

That's great to see,  I've been toying for weeks about a new unit to drive Dyn's S3.4 with, which are hungry for power.   

Down to to the Hautonga and Hegel H190 although dubious about their soundengine 2 (hard to find anything about it actually working) and the so so DAC.  

I think the Plinius may be a little brighter than the Hegel so maybe consider that. Mine is actually the 9200 which is a little warmer than the Hautonga so I'm told.

Edited by blakey72
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

I think the Plinius may be a little brighter than the Hegel so maybe consider that. Mine is actually the 9200 which is a little warmer than the Hautonga so I'm told.

Thanks heaps,  duly noted.

3 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

Try before you buy (if possible) is my advice ;) 

I aim too but if new and not run in, and using so so quality cables on hand, may result in results I hate.   When all I needed was to run it in, use quality connectivity and voila   maybe?  ?  

1 minute ago, Boxa said:

I aim too but if new and not run in, and using so so quality cables on hand, may result in results I hate.   When all I needed was to run it in, use quality connectivity and voila   maybe?  ?  

It 'shouldn't' make that much difference I would think. You will get the general sound signature no matter what. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. @Cafad perhaps?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

It 'shouldn't' make that much difference I would think. You will get the general sound signature no matter what. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. @Cafad perhaps?

Ok,  thanks again for thoughts,  appreciated.

Just now, blakey72 said:

No problems at all. My mate Cafad is the amp pro so he may chime in.

That's cool,  I've spent way too much time on this.

Plinius are also very hush hush too, its hard to get any idea of any improvements that have been made since Hautonga was originally released.  Meanwhile its easy to see what Hegel have been doing - releasing upgraded models.  

5 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

@BoxaI don't want to side track you but I'm actually thinking about trying one of these with the Dyn's.

Crazy!!  I was told today to look at the model too,  looks like a cheap copy of something sold in Aldi.

ARCAM SA30 was also suggested but my mate had one and the software issues were agony.

14 hours ago, Boxa said:

Even if new you should know if you like or hate it.  If you like it new you will probably like it more once run in, or with cables that better suit your preferences and the rest of your system.  If you hate it new then you may hate it a bit less when run in. 

Running in, and cable swaps too, only exceedingly rarely transform hate into love or vice versa, the changes aren't that extreme. (even though many of us like to claim otherwise)

• Thanks 1