FS: Linn Klimax DS/3

Item Condition: Very good
Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost.
Suburb or Town: Balwyn
State: Victoria
Payment Method: EFT Cash on Pickup
Reason for selling: Back to disk player

Further information:

Up for sale is my hiend Linn Klimax DS streamers upgraded to latest DS/3 , support roon and dsd. Basically linn just changed the ds1 board to ds/3 board. The current klimax will cost $35k. So my lost is your gain. Comes with remote and box.
Photos:

PLEASE READ

• If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item
  • If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved
  • If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved

33D48065-1426-4A5F-80B1-FCC6642D7786.jpeg

072663BA-74F5-4D69-9C40-FCEB82A6F3D0.jpeg

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, rock416 said:
Price: $16000
Item Condition: Very good
Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost.
Suburb or Town: Balwyn
State: Victoria
Payment Method: EFT Cash on Pickup
Reason for selling: Back to disk player

Further information:

Up for sale is my hiend Linn Klimax DS streamers upgraded to latest DS/3 , support roon and dsd. Basically linn just changed the ds1 board to ds/3 board. The current klimax will cost $35k. So my lost is your gain. Comes with remote and box.
Photos:

PLEASE READ

• If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item
  • If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved
  • If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved

33D48065-1426-4A5F-80B1-FCC6642D7786.jpeg

072663BA-74F5-4D69-9C40-FCEB82A6F3D0.jpeg

I didn’t realise that the Linn played DSD? Is that only through Roon?

I had the DS1 for a while and it was one of the best Dacs I have heard. Whoever buys this is going to enjoy their digital music. In my system the sound stage was enormous, so much detail but unlike DAVE it isn’t a clinical sound. I rarely used my turntable while I had the Linn. 

Edited by PKay

As I read the Linn material the DS3 has an input to use the DAC that predecessors did not. The streaming upgrade will not change that as there us no coaxial input on the box. It looks like the DS range has been discontinued so remaining DS3s are the last of the flagship line. GLWTS

2 hours ago, rock416 said:

I am using it for my tidal and roon, can I use it as dac? 

"Can I use it as a DAC?".        Err......I'd be fairly sure, YES - given your pics have both unbalanced (RCA) and balanced outputs marked "Pre / Line out".    That would indicate its a line-out DAC, OR a Dac with preamp.          Then again....maybe I misunderstood your original Q.    :)

2 minutes ago, psychometrics1 said:

As I read the Linn material the DS3 has an input to use the DAC that predecessors did not. The streaming upgrade will not change that as there us no coaxial input on the box. It looks like the DS range has been discontinued so remaining DS3s are the last of the flagship line. GLWTS

I think the new range incorporate digital preamp functionality and has a digital out. Neither of which play DSD as I understand.

@rock416 Did you go for the Katalyst upgrade? https://www.heynowhifi.com.au/products/linn-klimax-ds-upgrade-to-katalyst

The upgrade is almost $8k

UPGRADE TO KATALYST

If you already own a Linn product you may be able to take advantage of the biggest performance upgrade we've ever released by adding Katalyst to your system.

• Upgrades any Klimax DSM manufactured before September 2016

• Features Katalyst DAC Architecture for improved audio performance

• Exakt Link connections on-board

• Includes HDMI 2.0 connections

3 hours ago, rock416 said:

Yes, upgraded to the latest KATALYST dac.

I have the Klimax DS/0 which sounds very good as it stands but I believe the Katalyst is in a different league.

Was it outfitted by your local dealer or sent back to Linn in the UK for this to be done? Interested to hear your experience with this.

Yes the board of the previous iteration Klimax DS is removed and the new Katalyst board installed the case and power supply are retained and a new 5 year warranty .The DS was discontinued but Linn then relented and it was again available to order ( not sure if that is the current status for the DS only ), not everyone was willing to go to the full EXACT LINN system so a DS is a single input ( ethernet ) streamer with an internal volume control that can be disabled can be a wonderful source in a digital only system if a preamp is not available but cab be used with a pre and best then to disable the internal Volume control through the menue.The DSM has multiple inputs HDMI ,ethernet etc and has the ability to act as a system hub.Both will play DSD up to 128 but some of the Linn features do not run when doing so. 

Regards Russ

On 07/09/2020 at 3:35 PM, AuDrew said:

I have the Klimax DS/0 which sounds very good as it stands but I believe the Katalyst is in a different league.

Was it outfitted by your local dealer or sent back to Linn in the UK for this to be done? Interested to hear your experience with this.

The difference between a Klimax DS/0 and a DS/3 Katalyst is vast ,the DS/3 is just in a different league get the renew option and you can sell your old board in a new simple looking case and recoup so of the upgrade costs ,win win .

regards

Russ