Denon AVR-X7200W Zone 3 Issue - Preamp Out

After some advice and opinions here.

I have a old school 5.1 setup which is powered by the Denon AVR-Z7200W. The 5 speakers are in ceiling top of the line B&Ws and do the job admirably.

I have the B&W outdoor speakers for Zone 2.

The Denon is connected via optical for sound, Foxtel source is connected direct via HDMI.

All good. Using the Samsung Smart TV as most of the sources (Netflix, Spotify, Tidal etc).

I have my A system in my acoustically treated sound proof studio / listening space, with Quicksilver Monoblocks, Prima Luna Preamp, ATC SCM19s and an ARCAM rDAC. Amazing system, love it.

But I want a B system for the living room. I currently have Zone 3 connected to a set of Monitor Audio BR2s. The sound is ok. The BR2s sounded MUCH better in my A system prior to upgrading the speakers. Of course you would expect this.

My theory is my Denon is the weakest link and wanted to try using the preamp outputs for Zone 3 into an old school massive 300w dual mono amp from a buddy of mine. I've heard it in his old system and it's superb. But I can't seem to just use the preamp outs for Zone 3, whilst still using the Denon to power the 5 speakers plus the Outdoor Zone 2.

Is this possible? I've played around with the Amp Assign function on the Denon with no luck.

If I can get it up and running I'll buy a Bluesound Node 2i, so I can connect to my HDD (24/96 FLAC files) via the network and also stream Tidal in HD, and be able to play this in Zone 2 and/or 3.

Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/09/2020 at 7:10 PM, kdmay said:

After some advice and opinions here.

I have a old school 5.1 setup which is powered by the Denon AVR-Z7200W. The 5 speakers are in ceiling top of the line B&Ws and do the job admirably.

I have the B&W outdoor speakers for Zone 2.

The Denon is connected via optical for sound, Foxtel source is connected direct via HDMI.

All good. Using the Samsung Smart TV as most of the sources (Netflix, Spotify, Tidal etc).

I have my A system in my acoustically treated sound proof studio / listening space, with Quicksilver Monoblocks, Prima Luna Preamp, ATC SCM19s and an ARCAM rDAC. Amazing system, love it.

But I want a B system for the living room. I currently have Zone 3 connected to a set of Monitor Audio BR2s. The sound is ok. The BR2s sounded MUCH better in my A system prior to upgrading the speakers. Of course you would expect this.

My theory is my Denon is the weakest link and wanted to try using the preamp outputs for Zone 3 into an old school massive 300w dual mono amp from a buddy of mine. I've heard it in his old system and it's superb. But I can't seem to just use the preamp outs for Zone 3, whilst still using the Denon to power the 5 speakers plus the Outdoor Zone 2.

Is this possible? I've played around with the Amp Assign function on the Denon with no luck.

If I can get it up and running I'll buy a Bluesound Node 2i, so I can connect to my HDD (24/96 FLAC files) via the network and also stream Tidal in HD, and be able to play this in Zone 2 and/or 3.

Thanks in advance.

From the AVR user manual (see section Connecting Zones) it seems for Zone 3 you can not send audio through from HDMI inputs (your Foxtel). only the analogue inputs or (converted to PCM) optical/digital inputs can go through to zone 3.

Although main zone (if set to same input) and zone 2 can be played together, it is not clear from manual that zone 3 can be same as main zone together?

Thanks for the reply.

I am now approaching this differently. I am using my main speakers in my original 5.1 (now 7.1) setup (the front LR ceiling speakers) as Height / Wide speakers. It’s really amazing the difference from a HT perspective, the Monitor Audios as the primary LR speakers.

But I still have the same issue. For whatever reason, the Denon will not allow the power amp to connect to the preamp outputs for the Main Front LR speakers. I have tried the Custom Amp Assign function, effectively turning off the amp just for the Main Fronts, but still no luck.

Has me baffled. I am going to try a third set of RCAs now. If I can get this working, I can set Zone 1 (Main) to Pure Direct and just have the Monitor Audios when playing my Node 2i and be able to choose whether I turn on Zone 2 (outside) at the same time. I just need to be able to get this power amp connected for the main fronts. At the moment I am using the Denon’s power amp, but I know it can and will sound much better with this dedicated power amp.....

Issue resolved! User error ?

The preamp out section is a little confusing, as the bottom label suggests the whole block was for the preamp outs and with my bad eye sight and dark area, I had inadvertently connected to the 7.1 ins for the Front LR. Now I’ve moved it across and voila, it works.

With my new Node 2i, the result is amazing! The external power amp is SO much better, very happy. And the HT setup sounds much bigger.

Thanks for your help.