MadVR Envy Owners & Discussion Thread

11 hours ago, wooferocau said:

Agree..... i have the Oppo Mod Linear PSU in my 203 ....very worthwhile upgrade.  My UB9000 sits idle gathering dust.

Hmm so the psu mod improves video too somehow? Not just analog audio? I wonder how? I might check it out.

I think I will just be using the Panasonic for region b shortly...

8 hours ago, TP1 said:

Ive been meaning to ask, have you tried an LPSU with Lumagen or Envy?   I have been  pretty impressed through using  high quality audio PSU's  with Lumagen as well as  with Zappiti . 

No, but both my Lumagen and Envy run in conjunction with power conditioning  in various forms.  ( extensive and expensive!) ?

44 minutes ago, wooferocau said:

No, but both my Lumagen and Envy run in conjunction with power conditioning  in various forms.  ( extensive and expensive!) ?

Which Linear PSU mod did you get for the oppo? There seems to be many variants about - and some seem to disable analog (which isn't an issue for me)?

9 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

Which Linear PSU mod did you get for the oppo? There seems to be many variants about - and some seem to disable analog (which isn't an issue for me)?

http://www.oppomod.com

UDP-203/205 LPM SE - $360

This is the 'Special Edition' version of our Linear Power Module for the new Oppo UDP-203/205 4k players.

The highest audio grade low ESR Nichicon KW series electrolytic capacitors are used.

Multiple all discrete Schottky barrier diodes are now used throughout. The lower voltage drop of the diodes provides higher switching speed and better system efficiency, while producing less heat, EMI and switching noise.

Wima film and tantalum capacitors are included for regulator IC buffering and impendence matching. Audio grade 2A fuse is included.

Edited by wooferocau
  • Like 1

For all that is interested in the Envy here is a copy of an Email i received from Richard at Envy in regards to purchasing one of these in Australia. Big thanks to Wooferocau for setting this up and for the phone call.

Hi Alan - Very nice to meet you, and thank you so much for your interest in Envy. We are working on distribution in AU right now and we hope to have a high quality dealer that can sell you a unit within the next couple weeks. I cannot quote prices since that is up to the dealer. However so that I am not leaving you hanging, I can tell you that the MSRP without VAT in Europe is 5,600 EUR for the Pro. However - just fair notice that this is going up significantly once the pre-release pricing ends on Sep 30 and our official MSRP (not yet announced, but will be soon) goes into effect. I cannot promise or say how this EUR MSRP will translate into the AU market - for instance there may be duties/fees that need to be added in or other such operational adjustments based on AU business. But this should give you a ROUGH idea. I think it will work out very competitively priced to the competition, tho not by design.

Are you willing to buy an Envy blind if a demo cannot be arranged? This can certainly help in finding a dealer more quickly, if they know they are able to have a sale on the book from day 1 without having to worry they will bring in a unit and maybe the customer may not move forward, etc.

Please allow us some time to connect you with a dealer that can service and support you with this. In the meantime I've attached the Envy user manual which you may like to look through, to see how easy it is to set up. Likewise here is a Thank You note from an end user who couldn't wait for his dealer to install it and did it himself, to give you an idea of what that is like:

“I just wanted to let you know, I got the Envy installed and very roughly set up.  For my lack of knowledge about these things, I can’t believe how easily it went.  I basically turned it on, told it I have an anamorphic lens (Panamorph), and adjusted the image borders slightly, and let her rip, leaving all other settings where they were out of the box.  All I can say is…incredible!  We finally watched a movie last night — The Equalizer (with Denzel) in 4K.  It was like seeing it again for the first time.  The picture was just stunning — the color, contrast and image brightness were just perfect.  I lost track of the times I said to my wife, “Just look at that!”  What an improvement over the last viewing.  Thoroughly enjoyable.  Thanks to you all for such a great, easy to use product.  I can’t imagine how it all would look after being set up by someone who actually knows what they’re doing.” Then a few days later: “And Richard, this thing continues to impress.  Not only is the picture incredible, it’s actually making my system even less hands on — I love the way the aspect ratio changes as needed on the fly and does it quickly and perfectly.  I basically turn it and the projector on and don’t touch them again until I turn them off.  And I expect it will only get better... Thanks again!” – Mark J.

Regards,

Richard Litofsky

• Like 5

BTW, for anyone else like me who was concerned that the MadVR envy was basically just a MadVR PC and what that entails - eg full windows PC and all the trappings, anyhow, it is running a locked down version of Windows and does not get windows updates. It isn't a windows OS with a desktop, sort of like Windows Server Core but lighter.

I just thought I'd share, as my day today has been turned to BLEEP by microsoft forcing out some updates to our prod servers - I think it was azure forcing some updates, but anyhow it has screwed up server level certificates on several of our services so far.  This whole year has been a nightmare from windows updates.

For anyone interested in the Envy Video Processors..... 

The below is from Richard  ( madVR Labs) ..

Pre-release pricing ends Sep 14 ..BELOW is a  link  to the buyers interest list. We won't be able to make ANY exceptions after Sep 14th for people who didn't get on the list or are late, because we have to be fair and can't make an exception for one without doing it for what's likely to be many, many others asking for the same exception. All they need to do for now is fill out the form.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/9LWXJM8

9 hours ago, wooferocau said:

Aussie Distributor ( info forthcoming    ? ) will probably announce that shortly..

Yeah, Richard from MadVR contacted me earlier saying they should have it sorted shortly and I should be able to pay and order by Friday. So tomorrow or Saturday Australian time I guess.

My ultra discounted Sony 760es showed up this afternoon too. I'm sort of wondering if I should wait until the envy arrives and swap all,at once! That said I'm pretty stoked with the higher lumen laser projector for 3d, which madvr is less involved with! Ok I've convinced myself already. Tron Legacy 3d IMAX on the weekend... Might watch the 3d Alita as well...

Edited by Mobe1969
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, wooferocau said:

Setting up to shortly do a comparison between my Lumagen 4242 , Envy Extreme and Envy Pro with my Z1/RS4500.

Just a few pics of the Lumagen and Envy to show the 2 very different "Packages" in relation to size...

Awesome, looking forward to this! 

Edited by hifiman

On 10/09/2020 at 6:17 AM, wooferocau said:

The Oppo 203 -205 are a perfect choice for the Envy as they output near perfect Chroma as well as having the all important "Source Direct" ......  From what i understand the SONY Blu-ray players also have a "Source Direct" mode.

Another alternative for those concerned with eol issues for oppo's there is the pio LX500 [which emulates source direct like a 51hd  I once owned] . Possibly puts out 4.2.2  rather than 4.2.0 uhd colour subsampling iirc

A nice match when the envy takes over the panas tone mapping . excerpt from a pio review -

That said, we’d suggest setting it to Reference so the video signal output by the player remains untouched.

• Administrator

At twice the price and more than twice the size, it's going to have to be three times better than the Lumagen to win me over! I do watch with interest to see how this develops though.

Just now, Marc said:

At twice the price and more than twice the size, it's going to have to be three times better than the Lumagen to win me over! I do watch with interest to see how this develops though.

The ENVY PRO is actually "less" than the Lumagen!   

• Administrator

Some good comparisons here (with the madVR software mind you): https://hometheaterreview.com/lumagen-radiance-pro-4446-4k-video-processor-review/

Without having a mastering monitor here to show me how an HDR10 image is supposed to look without tonemapping applied, something consumer-level displays cannot do, it's nearly impossible for me to make a blanket statement on which solution delivers objectively superior tonemapping. So I reached out to Jon Thompson of Picture Worx Films. Jon does post production for Hollywood films and, apart from using reference-grade mastering monitors and a top-of-the-line Dolby Vision projector to grade video, he's had the opportunity to look at the dynamic tonemapping performance of madVR and the Radiance Pro and compare both to unadulterated HDR and SDR studio masters.

Jon's take on the matter is that it's no contest: the Radiance Pro does a better job overall at tonemapping. He says madVR often struggles with darker content, which can result in reduced shadow detail and crushed blacks. And with brighter content, he says madVR produces color errors on occasion. Because of these issues, Jon feels the Radiance Pro offers a far more natural-looking image.

Let's see what you find comparing them back to back with the hardware version @wooferocau

Just now, Marc said:

I stand corrected, though I'm yet to see AUD RRPs as yet. Looks like the PRO is around the same give or take $100 on the USD MSRPs against the Lumagen RP 4242.

Yes correct, its actually a "Little " cheaper than the Lumagen 4242 with 18ghz cards..  

The Envy PRO at present is literally running identical Ago,s as the Envy Extreme. ?

Just now, Marc said:

Some good comparisons here (with the madVR software mind you): https://hometheaterreview.com/lumagen-radiance-pro-4446-4k-video-processor-review/

Let's see what you find comparing them back to back with the hardware version @wooferocau

@Marc  You will find that Dylan has since had an about face on a lot of what he posted in that review  . That particular test that he made reference to  is now acknowledged to be null and void as the Envy  used in the test had a VERY early Beta firmware with none of the current Algo,s.

I was privileged to first hand details of that actual test! ?

Just now, Marc said:

Oh that is not clear. They should post an update on that review then. 

Where would one find his current thoughts and “about face”?

Its "Private" between about 8 individuals including myself.

Dylan had the Lumagen for his review and the option to purchase it VERY VERY cheaply. Subsequently after some more test/comparisons he did personally , he decided to pass on the Lumagen and continue with his madVR HTPC due to it producing superior results.  

I am waiting for my comparison as Jim Peterson is forwarding me a PRE Release firmware ( very shortly)  for the Lumagen that will have an updated Up-Scaling Algo AND for the first time on a Lumagen .......Sharpening Filters for both Up_scaling and native 4K!!!!