MadVR Envy Owners & Discussion Thread

23 minutes ago, IMDave said:

Considering the Base model is $US5500 ( Pro model $US10000), as Franin said on page one of this thread, it's likely the Base model will be close to $A10k by the time its landed.

But we will see.

I imagine the review was based on the uber model Dave ; interesting if the lower base dsp model is similar ? Hopefully more info will be forthcoming for those on the mailing list ; including switchable ac 50hz B)

6 hours ago, IMDave said:

So the question is @wooferocau, when does yours arrive ?  

After that glowing report from Nigel, I'm sure you can't resist comparing it to Madvr.

We will see....?

I have just recentley upgraded my HTPC with an RTX 2080TI and can "Almost" max out every option available!!!   The result is just Stunning!!!! 

From what i understand, the PC version of madVR ..."High End HTPC with a 2080TI" will differ very little IMAGE QUALITY wise to the Envy... 

This is my HTPC as of today.....not cheap either as it cost approx $6.5K to build... 

DSC_0393ww.jpg

DSC_0394ww.jpg

DSC_0395ww.jpg

DSC_0396ww.jpg

DSC_0398ww.jpg

DSC_0399ww.jpg

DSC_0400ww.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Mobe1969 said:

I take it (from what I've read) that as far as MadVR PC goes, it is output only, not a processor? Eg you can't connect your AVR output or sources to it like you can with a Lumagen (and the upcoming Envy)

As previously, no I don't think so. And what this means is you can't apply it to software that does not support madVR. So streaming services such as Netflix (Windows 10 application) are seemingly out of the question. I haven't investigated this fully but even if possible and that's quite an if would most likely be clunky and troublesome.

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 331

Envy on, envy off, at ISE Amsterdam, what can I say, it is that good :-) :-) And yes i took the pictures myself and it the result in real life is even more wow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version  Name: Envy .jpg Views: 91 Size: 610.3 KB ID: 2685252   Click image for larger version  Name: Envy 2.jpg Views: 91 Size: 553.1 KB ID: 2685254   Click image for larger version  Name: Envy4.jpg Views: 90 Size: 536.9 KB ID: 2685256   Click image for larger version  Name: Envt 3.jpg Views: 81 Size: 684.3 KB ID: 2685258  
ShaharT likes this.
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 627

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
That first set of on and off with the snow and the horses is like two different images. This is Black Magic. Almost too good to actually be true. What projector was being used? Was this Kaleidescape?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It’s a 10,000 nit mastered test video on the Spears and Munsil UHD disc.

It’s a tone mapping torture test.

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
That first set of on and off with the snow and the horses is like two different images. This is Black Magic. Almost too good to actually be true. What projector was being used? Was this Kaleidescape?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
The Sony VW5000 laser projector, it was like looking at two different projectors, and i can tell you that this was exactly how it looked, Envy on, Envy off. No Kaleidescape, the source was a media player with UHD files.
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have noticed a few individuals are curious about the madVR Envy Video Processor  so will post a little info that may be of interest.

I am a current Beta tester of the madVR Envy Extreme Video Processor. I own the madVR ENVY EXTREME , Lumagen 4242 18ghz and a HTPC with madVR . Projector is a JVC DLA Z1.

Many will know of the madVR  software that is used on a PC in order to process video content. madVR is well known for its UN-rivalled  video UP-Scaling as well as it superb Dynamic Tone Mapping . 

Many would like to use this software but are put toff by the fact that you can only  use it with a PC and you have no facility of using a HDMI input for content.

The  madVR Envy  Processor is basically madVR software inter-grated into dedicated PC platform with HDMI connectivity and using a very very well designed GUI ( user interface) . It purpose is SOLELY video processing .  Unlike a PC to which can be temperamental and very frustrating to the end user, the ENVY is designed to be 100% reliable and VERY easy to setup and use.

Setup..... This is a HUGE strong point of the ENVY.    Basically  as it comes "out of the box"  the only parameter you need to input is the "Light Output" available at your screen ( for  projectors of course)  . There are other user options available of course , but with just the one setting input  you will get a very good image straight off the bat.   This is a HUGE advantage over the Lumagen Video Processor.. The lumagen  will obviously give you an image with minimal user settings BUT it is a VERY complex processor that really demands setup via someone with experience. OR you are willing to undertake a large learning curve.

DTM.....  Dynamic Tone Mapping on the Envy is superb ...again "straight of the bat"    . You have the option to choose  varying parameters that are self explanatory   for user preference in their setup.

UP-Scaling..   madVR,s Up_Scaling is UN- rivalled   , thus so to is the Envy,s Up_Scaling.......  Up-Scaling is very important to some ( Myself included) ...The NGU  Algo,s used in the Envy  can take native 1080P content to the point of rivalling true  Native 4K ...its that good.

Ease of use.... Honestly...I really dont know how it could be any easier to setup ....then once set...it basically unnecessary to do anything other than "Turn it on" . 

Noise..   Its basically "silent"   ...there is effectively no audible noise form it  . You do have the option to  increase the internal fan speeds for extra cooling IF you place it in a very confined location.....EG ..Rack Mount. Even then, fan noise is very minimal.

Size....   Big...  4RU size...  Similar to the size of a medium AVR .

Comparisons...  Obviously the Lumagen is  a direct competitor .    From my point of view ( and owner and  user of both)  i really think the Envy offers the end user the better package.  Ease of setup / Ease of Use /  DTM and Up-Scaling performance .

You CAN purchase either an ENVY PRO or ENVY Extreme now....    My good friend was so impressed with the Envy he just ordered the Envy PRO to use with his SONY 760ES.

For most users the ENVY PRO  will provide DTM and UP-Scaling to a VERY VERY high standard.  

If anyone  any questions ( other than pricing)  please ask here and i can hopefully answer.    For pricing , i can give anybody interested a direct contact to Richard at madVR and he can follow that up with you.

Below are some screenshots of the GUI and my Envy in my Equipment rack ...

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0062.jpgwww.jpg

DSC_0065.jpgwww.jpg

Edited by wooferocau
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My interest is in the Lumagen but am always open for alternatives if it’s a better option. My plans are to purchase a Lumagen just after Xmas but if this is a better option due to the fact I would not need anyone to set it up for me then I would go with it as I live far from the city..I Would love to chat with Richard about such matters if it would help. You still have your avpa1hd I see, I still have mine too.Great piece of gear.The Envy def looks the part.

Edited by drummerboy01

1 hour ago, drummerboy01 said:

My interest is in the Lumagen but am always open for alternatives if it’s a better option. My plans are to purchase a Lumagen just after Xmas but if this is a better option due to the fact I would not need anyone to set it up for me then I would go with it as I live far from the city..I Would love to chat with Richard about such matters if it would help. You still have your avpa1hd I see, I still have mine too.Great piece of gear.The Envy def looks the part.

My opinion....

Unless you are capable yourself OR intend to utilise a "Professional" Calibrator"  to setup the Lumagen .....it  is not for you.

The Envy is one of the most "User Friendly", "Self explanatory" pieces of AV equipment i have ever used... 

Performance...... As i stated above i own all three options ( Lumagen / Envy / madVR HTPC)  if you are after the  absolute  pinnacle of image quality available at this moment in time....the Envy ( and madVR HTPC of course) is it...simple as that.

PM me your number if you would like a chat...

Edited by wooferocau
  • Like 2

Thanks Wooferocau for the informative post. I wasn't aware the Envy was available for purchase already. 

Can you tell us more about the differences between the Pro and Extreme versions? 

If i was using madvr already as a HTPC with a RTX 2070 card, would it be similar to the Envy Pro in visual quality? (I'm aware that the Envy is applicable to all sources and is plug and play)

I am also considering a lumagen with the caveat it get's installed by an experienced calibrator and I assume is "set and forget" after it's done and then act like the Madvr Envy. 

22 minutes ago, hifiman said:

Thanks Wooferocau for the informative post. I wasn't aware the Envy was available for purchase already. 

Can you tell us more about the differences between the Pro and Extreme versions? 

If i was using madvr already as a HTPC with a RTX 2070 card, would it be similar to the Envy Pro in visual quality? (I'm aware that the Envy is applicable to all sources and is plug and play)

I am also considering a lumagen with the caveat it get's installed by an experienced calibrator and I assume is "set and forget" after it's done and then act like the Madvr Envy. 

At this moment in time the differences between the Pro and Extreme are very negotiable ......Future planned Algo,s that require more GPU power will allow the Extreme to run higher settings than the Pro.

I have the Extreme myself and my good friend has just ordered the Pro ( 4 days away from Aus) as it will basically run the exact same current  Algo,s as on my Extreme with very similar quality settings.

The Envy is a little different in the way the Algo,s are structured to the madVR PC.  Envy uses a "Database"  and will auto configure the highest quality Algo,s / settings depending on content.....so its more efficient in optimising the GPU power it has.

Depending on your madVR config,  you will equal or exceed with the Envy Pro what you obtain with the RTX 2070 with madVR PC. .

A VERY important aspect to consider..... Mathias ( madVR ) will be implementing more efficient/higher quality Algo,s to BOTH Envy Pro and Extreme that will NOT be available to madVR PC..  

Yes the Lumagen is most definatley "set and forget" after setup / calibration......  BUT if you want the utmost in image quality  ............well ......... there is a reason my Lumagen spends most of its time "Gathering " dust!  I usually only bring it out for testing / comparisons. ?

• Like 2

Regards the upscaling, not to mention Sony projectors reality creation (especially with their Mastered for 4k Blu Rays) I'm realizing the Panasonic was a bad idea with no source direct... I do have an oppo 203 but I have that left on region A. When I get the Envy I'll have to rethink. Maybe I'll just set it to 1080p only and just use it for region b Blu Ray. I find the subtitles adjustment on the Panasonic too hard to do without! Be nice if someone else added luminance control.

31 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

Regards the upscaling, not to mention Sony projectors reality creation (especially with their Mastered for 4k Blu Rays) I'm realizing the Panasonic was a bad idea with no source direct... I do have an oppo 203 

The Oppo 203 -205 are a perfect choice for the Envy as they output near perfect Chroma as well as having the all important "Source Direct" ......  From what i understand the SONY Blu-ray players also have a "Source Direct" mode.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, wooferocau said:

The Oppo 203 -205 are a perfect choice for the Envy as they output near perfect Chroma as well as having the all important "Source Direct" ......  From what i understand the SONY Blu-ray players also have a "Source Direct" mode.

Yeah. I am pondering pulling my oppo 103 out of mothballs to use for region B. But I really LOVE the Panasonic subtitle adjustment. I use both the oppo and panasonic for UHDs at the moment, and oppo for region a and pana for region B. But when I get the Envy I guess I can just use the Panasonic for region B, so set it to 1080p only in config.

Panasonic have really dropped the ball though as far as firmware. First it was the Lionsgate Dolby vision issues, and now the Ghost in the Shell DV is causing image flickering. And they have newer firmware shipping on new units that they haven't released for existing customers. They are starting to tick off a lot of people.

4 hours ago, Mobe1969 said:

Panasonic have really dropped the ball though as far as firmware. First it was the Lionsgate Dolby vision issues, and now the Ghost in the Shell DV is causing image flickering. And they have newer firmware shipping on new units that they haven't released for existing customers. They are starting to tick off a lot of people.

Forget Panasonic  - they will never provide the service you want.   Oppo 203 + Linear PSU gives a better picture anyway.   As for multi-region,  just do the mod to the 203 -   it works like a charm.   

panasonic geting in touch with them for service will talk to a customer service rep who wont know what talking about no matter its a disc player and not a microwave oven...yep speaking from personal experience here. gave up asking them...

clearly oppo is EOL for support as far as optimisation. but they seem to keep working, can probably buy mod kit from overseas. for 203 its just take lid off and plug it in. and i use on my 205 (which isnt take lid off and plug in) but she in use to change region. though i just use my oppo on region A and use pana for region B

On the Q&A side of it, when you have the envy in the path, what it the setup you should have on projectors / and player? Say for Sony projector, do you just leave it on HDR Auto, or do you put it to BT2020 and gamma 2.4 and then for 1080p material change from BT2020 to 709??

10 minutes ago, TP1 said:

Forget Panasonic  - they will never provide the service you want.   Oppo 203 + Linear PSU gives a better picture anyway.   As for multi-region,  just do the mod to the 203 -   it works like a charm.   

Yeah. I do have the region mod, but gee it is slow to switch!

Plus like I said, I really like the Panasonic subtitle control....

Edited by Mobe1969
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Mobe1969 said:

put it to BT2020 and gamma 2.4 and then for 1080p material change from BT2020 to 709??

Basically as you stated , i have 2 profiles set on my Z1......One for 4K UHD using BT 2020 and 2.4 gamma and a second profile for 1080P using Rec 709 and 2.4 gamma.

Output resolution of the Oppo is set at "Source Direct"   and 4:2:2  10 Bit. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TP1 said:

Forget Panasonic  - they will never provide the service you want.   Oppo 203 + Linear PSU gives a better picture anyway.   

Agree..... i have the Oppo Mod Linear PSU in my 203 ....very worthwhile upgrade.  My UB9000 sits idle gathering dust.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Johnny_Boy said:

from the madVR website

"MSRP for the Envy Pro Cinema is slated for $9,979 and $5,499 for the Envy base model." 

Is the Pro Cinema the Extreme and the base model the Pro as per their 'model comparison'?

13 minutes ago, lucmor444 said:

Is the Pro Cinema the Extreme and the base model the Pro as per their 'model comparison'?

From what i understand the current RRP  ( USD ) in the US  is ............Envy Extreme $12K.................. and............. Envy Pro $8K 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, wooferocau said:

Basically as you stated , i have 2 profiles set on my Z1......One for 4K UHD using BT 2020 and 2.4 gamma and a second profile for 1080P using Rec 709 and 2.4 gamma.

Output resolution of the Oppo is set at "Source Direct"   and 4:2:2  10 Bit. 

Ok cool I thought that might be the case. That is how I had my projector setup prior to getting the Panasonic, when I was just running a custom curve.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wooferocau said:

Agree..... i have the Oppo Mod Linear PSU in my 203 ....very worthwhile upgrade.  My UB9000 sits idle gathering dust.

Ive been meaning to ask, have you tried an LPSU with Lumagen or Envy?   I have been  pretty impressed through using  high quality audio PSU's  with Lumagen as well as  with Zappiti .