Considering the new Buchardt A500 Active system

Was just about to try the master tunings feature. To this point i've kept it stock.

Lucky i read the following note saved on their shared google drive:

Customers that recived the A500 in March 2021 and after. Please do not install any mastertunings. This would bring your speakers into mono locked, we are working on a fix.

If you have installed one, then please instal the "New Tuning for March batch only"

Therefore, anyone just receiving their A500's, DON'T DOWNLOAD A MASTER TUNINGS FILE YET!!

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Unboxing pics below.   The box weighs a total of 24.2kg's so they've managed to get everything in the one box and under the 25kg limit for many carriers.   The speakers are more sv

Look, I really take terrible photos. My wife takes much better photos on her Pixel 3 than I do on my Note 10. I intended to ask her to take some pics, but we had a little bit of a Barney, so didn't go

I'm trying not to jump out of the gate too quickly, but straight out of the box they're sounding great!   Went through the set up process. Link the hub with the remote, then the hub to the s

I've just had a read through the different master tunings available. I'm pretty excited to try them all and hear the differences. It's such a great idea. Just a shame i can't try them yet...

Interesting to read in one of the tunings they say the bass extends to 22hz... pretty amazing for such small units but they definitely go low.

Will be pretty cool to hear the difference between the 2.5, and 3 way tunings, and i really want to hear the tuning that gives more mid range focus. 

Similar to the Genelec GLM System Profiler which allows you to pick profiles that either roll off the top end by different increments, or roll off slowly from 100hz the Buchardt master tunings offer similar.

Master Tunings Currently Available

Stock Tuning 2.5 way

Stock Tuning 2.5 way V2

Stock Tuning 2.5 way V2 - +1db Treble

Stock Tuning 2.5 way V2 - +2db Treble

Stock Tuning 2.5 way V2 - -1db Treble

Stock Tuning 2.5 way V2 - Set to 40hz instead of 25hz

Stock Tuning 2.5 way V2 - more forward mid range

Stock Tuning 2.5 way V2 - with wall filter (near wall use)

Nearfield 2.5 Way

Nearfield 3 way

Nearfield 3 way - w/ 1800hz Crossover

• Like 1
8 hours ago, tfj100 said:

Well, I cancelled my A500 order and went for 60XDs. I reasoned that for a similar price to the A500, I was getting a similar set-up, but more akin to the A700. But, I do have a relatively small, boxy room and have ended up using the Roon DSP feature to modify the sound to reduce the room effect.

Shame, given your small, boxy room which I assume is untreated.  The 60 XD has a boundary setting to compensate for walls, but nothing else out of the box for DSP.

You will be missing out on the A500 Advanced DSP settings.  From what I have read, it uses an iPhone to do broad sweeps of the room and you are done.  No measuring microphone, follow a measuring process, no need for DSP knowledge etc.  Unless you are experienced with DSP, you may struggle to get anything close with Roon DSP.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, wikeeboy said:

Was just about to try the master tunings feature. To this point i've kept it stock.

Lucky i read the following note saved on their shared google drive:

Customers that recived the A500 in March 2021 and after. Please do not install any mastertunings. This would bring your speakers into mono locked, we are working on a fix.

If you have installed one, then please instal the "New Tuning for March batch only"

Therefore, anyone just receiving their A500's, DON'T DOWNLOAD A MASTER TUNINGS FILE YET!!

Oh wow. Was literally just about to download the mid forward tuning and give it a go. Borrowed a mates spare iPhone, but can't for the life of me work out how to connect the hub to the app. Is connected both by Bluetooth and by Google Home got me stumped. 

7 hours ago, Bomber Rock said:

Where in Melb do you reside? 

North Melbourne (3051)

6 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Shame, given your small, boxy room which I assume is untreated.  The 60 XD has a boundary setting to compensate for walls, but nothing else out of the box for DSP.

You will be missing out on the A500 Advanced DSP settings.  From what I have read, it uses an iPhone to do broad sweeps of the room and you are done.  No measuring microphone, follow a measuring process, no need for DSP knowledge etc.  Unless you are experienced with DSP, you may struggle to get anything close with Roon DSP.

Well, if I was serious I'd get a mini-dsp and microphone and manage it properly...I might still do that. Just a bit more of a faff compared to set and forget options like the A500. 

3 hours ago, tfj100 said:

Well, if I was serious I'd get a mini-dsp and microphone and manage it properly...I might still do that. Just a bit more of a faff compared to set and forget options like the A500. 

It will be a big challenge to replicate the A500 DSP with a mini DSP plus microphone.  It is a lot more than putting in a few PEQs. 

The beauty of the A500 is that it uses advanced DSP techniques (something very few here know) to optimise the sound to the room.  And through a very simple, easy process...

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo

Don't have time for a long update (today is family day :) ) but i tried the room correction function a couple of days ago. It's super easy. Download the buchardt app, and choose the room calibrate mode. The system then plays pink noise for one minute as you move the phone round the room. I did one calibration walking around my whole living area and the curve showed a decent size hump in the botto end. It then overlays a correction curve which flattened out the hump. You can then toggle between enable/disable directly via the app.

I did another calibration purely from my listening position moving the phone just in a one foot radius of my head. The curve showed a dip in the bottom end which it then corrected for.

Overall its a simple super system, that you can visually see the curves and toggle the correction in and out to hear if you like the difference.

Whether you like the change is a topic for another post..! But as Snoopy implies, this is a VERY easy solution for the masses.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, wikeeboy said:

Don't have time for a long update (today is family day :) ) but i tried the room correction function a couple of days ago. It's super easy. Download the buchardt app, and choose the room calibrate mode. The system then plays pink noise for one minute as you move the phone round the room. I did one calibration walking around my whole living area and the curve showed a decent size hump in the botto end. It then overlays a correction curve which flattened out the hump. You can then toggle between enable/disable directly via the app.

I did another calibration purely from my listening position moving the phone just in a one foot radius of my head. The curve showed a dip in the bottom end which it then corrected for.

Overall its a simple super system, that you can visually see the curves and toggle the correction in and out to hear if you like the difference.

Whether you like the change is a topic for another post..! But as Snoopy implies, this is a VERY easy solution for the masses.

So, I borrowed a mates spare iPhone and for the life of me, I couldn't get the app to recognise the hub. Could connect to it via both Bluetooth and WiFi and play music from the iPhone, but just couldn't hey the app to work. I'll try again today at some point 

6 hours ago, tfj100 said:

North Melbourne (3051)

I'm in Newport, so it's certainly something that could be organised. Have a fait bit on, but if it's something that you were really keen on, Im sure we could make it happen 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Bomber Rock said:

So, I borrowed a mates spare iPhone and for the life of me, I couldn't get the app to recognise the hub. Could connect to it via both Bluetooth and WiFi and play music from the iPhone, but just couldn't hey the app to work. I'll try again today at some point 

If it makes you feel any better, when I got the remote for my Dynaudios (same remote as with the A500s), it took me about 40 minutes just to get the cover off and on, get the batteries the right way and make sure it worked...

4 minutes ago, Bomber Rock said:

I'm in Newport, so it's certainly something that could be organised. Have a fait bit on, but if it's something that you were really keen on, Im sure we could make it happen 

Thanks! I'm definitely keen but don't want to impose especially as I understand when people are short of time. I'll PM you and let's see how it goes... definitely not urgent.

3 minutes ago, Bomber Rock said:

I'd suggest waiting till the master tunings are available before any decent comparisons. The stock tuning is supposedly tweaked to keep 80% of users happy, and the V2 version takes it a little further. But depending on your room and preferences there may be a tuning that suits better that can't currently be accessed until the bug is fixed.

Unlike the Kii's which are designed to come out of the box pretty much flat, the A500's have a particular flavour/tuning, and the benefit of having several at your finger tips means you can find the one that suits best.

For the first few days i thought the mids and highs were a little recessed, and not as detailed as i'm used to. Mind you, coming from Genelec 8351's i wasn't expecting the A500's to show the same level of detail. I am however noticing the mids and highs are opening up as i've now run them for approximately 15-20 hours, so the sound is developing (hence my conservative approach to make any hasty opinions). Unlike the Gen's, and Kii's that aim to run flat unless you tweak them, these A500's do have a sound profile/flavour, and it may be that one of the profiles allows greater detail in the mids and highs via master tuning (possibly the more forward mid range tuning, or treble boost tuning ones). 

5 minutes ago, tfj100 said:

Thanks! I'm definitely keen but don't want to impose especially as I understand when people are short of time. I'll PM you and let's see how it goes... definitely not urgent.

Keep me in the loop, i'd be keen also :)

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Bomber Rock said:

Did you set the hub up via Google Home? And it currently shows up i nthere when you check? Also just double check your phone and hub (via the Google Hub) are on the same wifi channel (eg. 2.4gz or 5ghz).

Yes, so it was set up on google home using my Android phone. In the iPhone, I was able to see it and connect to it via Google home. And also by Bluetooth and. So certainly the phone connects to the hub no worries. But the app itself just doesn't see it.

I have had the A500 for a few days now and thought I’d share my initial findings. So far it’s been a little frustrating. Frustrating from the point of view of getting a signal from the hub to the speakers. The Buchardt Facebook group has been useful and I think it’s a WiSa issue rather than wifi issue. The group says you should try different positioning of the hub as it can get interference from other wifi equipment. I haven’t tried it yet. 
If the speakers are not in use the power switches off and getting them to connect again can be slow. It’s annoying when I want to just start listening to music straight away. When I wanted to listen to them this morning I was getting no sound even though Roon was connected to hub.    Then noticed no lights on back of speakers. I had to restart speakers then restart the hub before sound kicked in. 

When they are up and running and I leave it on I have no problems and the signal is rock solid. 

In terms of sound I am not making any conclusions until I have given them a good run in. I haven’t tried room correction or master tunings yet. When I first listened I didn’t  get a wow moment but rarely do when hearing something for the first time. My current speakers are dynaudio special 40’s and the off the bat the A500’s do not sound better or worse. I am excited the potential they have as I run them in and try room correction etc.

I need to get the connection issues resolved however no matter how good the sound is. It seems Buchardt are aware of issues and are working hard to fix. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, wikeeboy said:

After you have had more time with the A500, would like to hear your thoughts and comparison between the Buchardt, Kii and Genelec approaches to DSP.  You are in the unique position of having experience with all 3. 

It is obvious that the Buchardt is the simplest, "advanced DSP for the masses" but does it deliver?  Kii is more reliant on its design and DSP technology out of the box and can only tweak boundary, tone and add DSP filters. I  do not have much knowledge of Genelec's GLM, only reading about it as a wizard driven system but I assume it has its share of complexity given its target market?

8 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

@k3here I assume you are aware of this Buchardt Wisa update

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1E_Mw-RDEAfgLP5IpOhxybE701rFILMGw

I recall reading that they recommend putting the hub quite a distance away from other WiFi gear.

Best of luck in getting this solved...

Thanks mate I did see it.  But the update looks complicated. I will see if it settles first and experiment with placement. 

• Like 1

Hi all 

I still haven't resolved my WISA connection problems. Anyone else having issues?

I downloaded or tried to update the hub to the latest beta version. I am still not sure if it installed correctly as there is not a real notification that I can see to say it successfully completed. Apparently there will be an update sent to all hubs soon but I couldn't wait.

I also find my speakers will shut down over night and not wake up when tv is turned on. The lights on the back of the speakers will be out and I have to completely turn off and turn on the speakers and then restart the hub to get going.

While I can see Buchardt working hard to address all bugs, and as good as the speakers sound so far, if they can't be resolved over the next few weeks I will return these, or hub at least . Hoping you guys are having no issues and I just have a bad egg.

Ive had minor issues with dropouts, but seems to be a wifi connection issue instead if Wisa, as ive not had any issues playing records, or sound from TV, only from streaming from Youtube music and to a lesser extent, spotify. Usually,  get a couple of drop outs in the first album or two, but then everything settles into a groove and and plays ok for hours. Ive probably been one of the luckier ones really.

Lets be honest, this roll out has been a disaster, and Buchardt Audio would want to very quickly rectify these issues or it will find that the negatve feedback all over facebook (and worldwide forums similar to this) will severely hamper future sales. My wife asked to take the boxes into her work. She said her grade preps will be able to makes stuff out of them. I have had to hold her back because im not certain these speakers will be staying here.

Having said of of that, I did install the the Mid Forward master tuning, despite being warned aginst doing so, and all of a sudden, these seakers have gone from pretty pedestrian with paper thin soundstage depth to being great speakers I could live with permanently. But i will put up a more detailed post at some point regarding this - waiting until i manage to get 100 hours play and room correction to work.

So in the spirit of the title of this thread, anyone considering the Buchardt A500 system would be well advised to hold off for now to be certain these many and varied issues being experienced worldwide are rectified and are only temporary. But also, give us unfortunate early adopters some time to post listening impressions, as there is some good news in all of this.

• Like 5

@Bomber Rock

thanks for the updates, some of us are listening.

The facebook chat is concerning, but what isn't clear is whether the problem is implementation or something more serious.

There are lots of early adopters who might not know what they are doing, but there are also others that do know having problems.

If the problem is the wifi connection (wifi to hub) as opposed to the Wisa link (hub to speakers), what can be done?

I know Buchardt suggest the 2.4 hz spectrum, and not having other wifi 'noise' locally.

Can the wifi be hard-wired using cat 6?

I'm not asking for an answer, but rather trying to frame the discussion.

I really appreciate you pointing out that non wifi sources such as records (presumably via rca connection to hub), TV (presumably via arc HDMI to hub) is working.

My streaming at home has gone through iphone 12 via wifi with hard connection to SONOS with coaxial connection to my pre-amp (I don't have Buchardt's yet - that will be August at the earliest for a pair of black A700's).  I guess that would work like your record player and TV.

Benje

Edited by Benje

@Benje

There have been problems with almost every aspect of Software - Wifi, Wisa pairing of hub to speakers, pairing of remote to hub etc. In a way, this is a good thing as it means that all the problems should be able to be repaired through software fixes. I have read from users of earlier batches that they have had, and still are not having, any of the issues that are presenting in the current batch. In fact one Facebook user asked if there was any way to not recieve the soon to be released automatic update of the hub software and his system is rock solid and is concerned that the software install may bring problems to him. 

Unfortunately, no the hub cannot be connected via ethernet, however, Buchardt are apparently developing their own standalone hub and i would be staggered if an etehrnet port for hard wiring direct to the router was not included in the hardware.

Yes, vinyl via RCA from Phono Pre Amp, but TV via Toslink. If you have XLR (Buchardts do not have RCA inputs) out from your preamp, you could bypass the hub altogether and would certainly mean you would not be subject to most of the issues. Note that room correction is a feature installed on the hub, so you aould not be able to access that feature (not that i have manged to get it to work yet).

But for me, the hub is a critical companent as I was purchasing a system more so than just a set of speakers.

• Like 1

Good point @Bomber Rock I too bought this as a system, not just speakers, to simplify my main set up. Hub and software performance will be critical to overall enjoyment. I do think all the issues at the moment are software related and I am encouraged to see Buchardt are making genuine attempts and posting answers to try to address the issues. I am confident they will fix it as there seems to be no problems with earlier batches. They are overwhelmed at the moment and they seem good people so I want them to succeed.

• Like 2

Hi all,

Sorry to hear some are having issues. To echo what @k3here has said, the guys at Buchardt are really great people and i'm sure they are working hard to fix this. It is also a fair point to raise that earlier batches were solid, so most likely a software issue with the latest firmware and tunings. Hopefully this means a quick and easy fix for all.

To comment on my situation for a moment, without trying to diminish anyone else problems whatsoever i really haven't had a single issue since receiving the speakers.

I basically plugged everything in, paired the remote, hub, and speakers within minutes and away i went. I've also had no issue using the room calibrate function which is super simple. Not sure if this has made a difference, but i'm using the 5ghz wifi channel as opposed to 2.4ghz as recommended.

I have used the A500's in a couple of different settings, with various inputs. I have used them with my DJ rig, running analogue XLR's direct in to the back of the speakers. Ran without issue first time. I have also mostly had them set up in my shared lounge area next to the TV. I have the TV going in to the hub via optical, and i have Roon running into the coax input via a Bricasti M5 streamer. All running perfectly not skipping a beat. Last night i also tried piping Roon direct to the hub via its chromecast feature which it did with no concern.

After reading @Bomber Rock's earlier post, i tried installing the 'mid forward' tuning this morning and that also took to the speakers with no issue and i'm thankfully up and running with a different tuning. The process for updating the tuning is also super simple.

I have now had the speakers play music for 50+ hours. They have definitely changed over that time. At first i thought the sound was weighted too heavily in the bottom end, and the mids/highs quite recessed with low detail retrieval. I'm finding now the balance is much better and the upper range has opened up. Overall sound has improved for the better.

So far i'm rather happy with the A500's, they have done everything i expected/hoped. Once i hit 100 hours i'll be more critical with my observations, but from a function perspective they are working really well in my family space. 

My gut feel at this stage is the hub is the weak link in the chain. Would be nice if the rear of the speakers had a digital input so i can directly compare the hub in and out of the chain. Also agree with an earlier comment that there should be an option to hardwire ethernet to the hub (even though i'm having no issues). The auto switching is working fine, speakers auto turn on and off, albeit it a little slowly.

Have done many hours of testing so far on their own, and compared to my Genelec 8351's so will come back in another post (when time allows) to give my opinions on the differences. @Snoopy8 Also repositioned the 8351's a couple of nights ago and re-ran the GLM 4 calibration (took screenshots), and did sort of the same with the buchardt calibration. It will be a crude comparison but you'll be able to see the different calibrations each system did from roughly the same position. I'll also explain the differences between each method/process (when i have time to jump back on and post).

Again, i'm sorry to hear that some have struggled, but thought i'd reflect on my experience so far to bring a different perspective/balance.

• Like 3

hmmm, thanks guys.

I can recall software issues with topfield PVRs (I had a 2400 masterpiece which worked well, thankfully).

I also recall the disaster that was Foxtel IQ3 (I think it was IQ3).  I have an IQ4 which has been fine, but I certainly avoided the IQ3 because of complaints.

I take some comfort in wikeeboy's apparent success.  keep it going, hopefully others find stability in the software soon.  Perhaps there is a different chip supplier to earlier batches.

I do know that my wife would not tolerate this developemnt phase - I hope for stability, and a happy wife.

Benje

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Quick update re calibration:

Below are a few screen shots from using the Buchardt calibration.

Once setup, you open the Buchardt App and run the calibration option. The speakers start playing white/pink(?) noise for 1 minute. During that time you're meant to move your phone around the room sweeping it up and down without getting between the phone mic and the speakers. This will average out your room response. I chose to sit in my sweet spot and move the phone within an approximate 1 foot cube of my head. I did this as to begin with i just wanted to optimise the sound from my listening position and compare to what the Genelec GLM calibration does.

Once the minuet is up, you are pressented with a depiction of your room response from 20hz-1000hz. As you can see in my result, i have some rollof below approx 100hz, a hump in the 150-200hz region, and a dip a little further up.

You then have an option to calibrate. After pushing the button you are presented with a new target curve.

This new target curve can be enabled/disabled at the push of a button. So it's very easy to toggle on and off.

IMG_8446 copy.jpg

IMG_8447 copy.jpg

IMG_8448 copy.jpg

• Thanks 1

@Snoopy8 Here's a screenshot of the left and right calibration done from the approximate same position with the Genelec 8351's.

With the Gen's, i use the GLM mic on a boom style mic stand, in the sweet spot. The speakers run their own individual frequency sweeps, as opposed to the A500's that play pink noise through both (therefore a summed eq).

The Gen approach is more hands off on boosting frequencies, preferring to reduce the bigger peaks. The close position relative to the rear wall (30ish cm's) is reflected in the boosted 30-100hz range, of which GLM reduces for a flatter response.

The result below is the correction calculated by GLM, of which you can then go in and tinker/tweak further as you like. The A500 curve is not tweakable in that sense.

And for anyone wondering, i'm not sure how much of a difference the birthday decorations may have imparted on the results :)

Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 11.48.29 am copy.jpg

IMG_8375 copy.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
40 minutes ago, wikeeboy said:

Quick update re calibration:

Below are a few screen shots from using the Buchardt calibration.

Once setup, you open the Buchardt App and run the calibration option. The speakers start playing white/pink(?) noise for 1 minute. During that time you're meant to move your phone around the room sweeping it up and down without getting between the phone mic and the speakers. This will average out your room response. I chose to sit in my sweet spot and move the phone within an approximate 1 foot cube of my head. I did this as to begin with i just wanted to optimise the sound from my listening position and compare to what the Genelec GLM calibration does.

Once the minuet is up, you are pressented with a depiction of your room response from 20hz-1000hz. As you can see in my result, i have some rollof below approx 100hz, a hump in the 150-200hz region, and a dip a little further up.

You then have an option to calibrate. After pushing the button you are presented with a new target curve.

This new target curve can be enabled/disabled at the push of a button. So it's very easy to toggle on and off.

IMG_8446 copy.jpg

IMG_8447 copy.jpg

IMG_8448 copy.jpg

Thanks for documenting this, very useful to know. My question is: Did you prefer the sound of the target curve? When doing DSP, some people report a flat curve as being a bit lifeless (that comment is general, not related to A500s).

Thank you @wikeeboy for documenting the room calibration experience with both the Buchardt and Genelec GLM.  Most interesting, and since this is a thread dedicated to the A500, will not comment much about GLM, other than to say its target market is more for the professional audio user than for a home audio user (but it is easy enough to use).

Back to topic, the calibration process for the A500 is simpler than I imagined.  For most users, this is easy and simple to do.  However, for someone who likes to tinker more, it can be too limiting.  ?   Not clear, but can a user load their own custom target curve?

Looking forward to getting more listening impressions of the A500...

On 06/04/2021 at 7:47 PM, k3here said:

Hi all 

I still haven't resolved my WISA connection problems. Anyone else having issues?

I downloaded or tried to update the hub to the latest beta version. I am still not sure if it installed correctly as there is not a real notification that I can see to say it successfully completed. Apparently there will be an update sent to all hubs soon but I couldn't wait.

I have resolved the connection issues by updating WiSA and moving the hub out of cabinet into more open position . Think it was the update that did it mostly. 

I still find there's a delay of about 10 seconds before sound is heard when switching it on after it has powered down. Not sure if is related to connection. 

Good to be able to get back to listening without the hassle. 

Edited by k3here
  • Like 1
On 09/04/2021 at 11:43 AM, wikeeboy said:

I chose to sit in my sweet spot and move the phone within an approximate 1 foot cube of my head. I did this as to begin with i just wanted to optimise the sound from my listening position and compare to what the Genelec GLM calibration does.

Thanks for you posts so far. I was considering the Buchardt so keen to get people’s feedback on the DSP.

Have you done a subsequent scan over the whole room? You may have missed some room influences  only doing the scan around your listening area. I recall in a review that you measure as much of the room without getting closer than x(?)metres to the drivers. Interested to know if there was much of a difference?

10 hours ago, Bell Ringer said:

Thanks for you posts so far. I was considering the Buchardt so keen to get people’s feedback on the DSP.

Have you done a subsequent scan over the whole room? You may have missed some room influences  only doing the scan around your listening area. I recall in a review that you measure as much of the room without getting closer than x(?)metres to the drivers. Interested to know if there was much of a difference?

The first time i used the calibration method i moved around the entire room. I did my best to evenly walk around the room for the full minute whilst also sweeping the phone up and down from the floor to high up. The calibration definitely gave me a different reading to the one displayed above. I only did the one above as a comparison to the GLM calibration that i took from a single point.

Have been playing with the mastertunings this morning and they definitely have noticeably different flavours. That's the beauty of a DSP engine like this, as long as the speaker is of sound design and can play the full frequency spectrum (which the A500's do), you can then use the power of DSP to help with some of your room inadequacies, and also choose a specific curve/flavour to your liking.

One of the tunings plays to 22hz on the bottom end and you can really tell. Quite impressive for what's such a small speaker.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have also been listening the A500 for a week and abit now, they sounds good (hoping the mastertuning issues can be resolved soon to really test out what it can do as I am using them nearfield at a desk). No major complaints about the sound but the connectivity issues is bugging me. Perhaps because I am using it at a desk with alot of other electronics, I have experienced sparatic issues with wifi dropout (both speakers off) and WiSA dropout (one speaker off), it is fine most of the time but when it drop outs it is quite annoying. Maybe this is a sign that they are not the speakers for me and I have to send them back (or if anyone wants to pick up a pair here) but that still leave the question of what other options in a similar range do I have? Would love to hear from others. 

• Like 1
On 21/04/2021 at 11:15 PM, jchoi said:

Maybe this is a sign that they are not the speakers for me and I have to send them back (or if anyone wants to pick up a pair here) but that still leave the question of what other options in a similar range do I have? Would love to hear from others. 

The Dynaudio focus XD series - 20 (bookshelves) or 30 (small floorstanders) are comparable price and functionality wise (both active speakers with DSP). A few members here have bought these recently

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Do other Australian customers waiting for their May-2021 (ahem...!) delivery have any update about ETA?

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Gee Emm said:

Do other Australian customers waiting for their May-2021 (ahem...!) delivery have any update about ETA?

This would be good to know.  Having just sold my speakers, I'm very seriously considering putting in an order for a pair of A500s in black.  The website currently claims that delivery of these would be "May 28-31" with the walnut version not available until August.

UPDATE:  Well, I've just pulled the trigger and ordered the A500 bundle in black.  They are promising an email when the package "has been sent".   I'll be very happy to see them by the end of May as stated on Buchardt's website.  We'll see.  In the meantime, I'm quite excited.  First new piece of hi fi gear I've bought in quite a while. 

Edited by brumby
New information
20 hours ago, brumby said:

This would be good to know.  Having just sold my speakers, I'm very seriously considering putting in an order for a pair of A500s in black.  The website currently claims that delivery of these would be "May 28-31" with the walnut version not available until August.

UPDATE:  Well, I've just pulled the trigger and ordered the A500 bundle in black.  They are promising an email when the package "has been sent".   I'll be very happy to see them by the end of May as stated on Buchardt's website.  We'll see.  In the meantime, I'm quite excited.  First new piece of hi fi gear I've bought in quite a while. 

Half your luck.

I ordered my walnut A500 pair late November 2000.