Buchardt Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

13 minutes ago, mundabble said:

Great job with running update and pics wikee.

Question for all - I take it LLE is a fancy dynamic way of simply boosting bass and treble, proportional to volume?  Is there anything more nuanced to it, does anyone think?  I take it you can roughly achieve the same thing with some EQ adjustments/presets, if your amp allows...

The talk in reviews is that they adopt a "Fletcher-Munson" curve. Here is the first thing that comes up when I google it Fletcher Munson Curve: A Must-Know for Audio Recording (ehomerecordingstudio.com). Might be worth a read, or your own googling.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Satanica said:

Yes.

It doesn't appear to be but I can't think of why it needs to be "more nuanced".

It could kind of work I suppose but I can't imagine that being a solution that would be easy to configure and obviously it needs constant input from the user.
I think I would find it cumbersome.

Yep would sure be much easier/nicer/more convenient of course if it's all integrated and taken care of!  the beauty of active, I guess.  Though I'm watching the space for reviews of their I150 amp, meant to be shipping soon, with LLE for existing passives (like me s400s)... 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tims said:

Looking forward to your continuing reviews!

Buchardt's shipping and returns policy is generous, isn't it.  A relatively small fee to send them back within 45 days if you'd not satisfied  and they wear the GST import cost that is paid by them as well!:cool:

Yes it is a very good offer, almost too hard to pass up (as i found!).

Thanks for the kind words @tims & @mundabble, i will definitely keep everyone in the loop. I'm just cautious as the manual and video by Mads Buchardt say the drivers do need burn in time and the sound will develop so i'm being cautious with my judgement. So far however i am really liking them :) 

Edited by wikeeboy
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, Bomber Rock said:

Mine were delivered today. In about 2hrs I'll be home from work and listening to some fine tunes.

Congratulations! Which color did you go for?

Will be great to hear your thoughts on these speakers. 

Look, I really take terrible photos. My wife takes much better photos on her Pixel 3 than I do on my Note 10. I intended to ask her to take some pics, but we had a little bit of a Barney, so didn't go there. Anyway, attached.

How does it all sound, I've only listened to a couple of albums, one on vinyl and one streaming digital. Certainly, sound is much bigger than the speakers they replaced, even though the buchardts are about a 1/4 of the physical size. When I say bigger, not sound stage, but more the scale and weight of the music, if that makes sense. Look, it's early days, and I need more time. I haven't done room correction yet (need to borrow an iPhone - we're an Android family) and I haven't looked at the master tunings yet. So, like Wikee, I'm going to hang 5 on reporting anything.

Most weekends, a mate of mine (who is an iPhone man) comes over and we drink beer and listen to music. We will certainly put the speakers to the test. 

20210331_180658.jpg

20210331_180726.jpg

20210331_193157.jpg

20210331_193209.jpg

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, Bomber Rock said:

How does it all sound, I've only listened to a couple of albums, one on vinyl and one streaming digital. Certainly, sound is much bigger than the speakers they replaced, even though the buchardts are about a 1/4 of the physical size. When I say bigger, not sound stage, but more the scale and weight of the music, if that makes sense.

What speakers did the A500 replace?

Suggest getting an Isoacoustics stand or Iso Puck Mini under the A500.  They do make a difference

https://www.storedj.com.au/search?ProductSearch=isoacoustics

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

What speakers did the A500 replace?

Suggest getting an Isoacoustics stand or Iso Puck Mini under the A500.  They do make a difference

https://www.storedj.com.au/search?ProductSearch=isoacoustics

I was thinking the same thing. Would surely make a positive effect on the sound, congrats on the arrivals, they are a nice looking speaker for sure.

Sounds like they are getting quite a bit of weight out of them, like a mini Dutch & Dutch 8c.

Snoopy8, see here for the system it replaced.

So, no name speakers, paired with emotive pre power combo. Augmented with a sub. Bit of history if you also go in link in speaker ad.

I bought some vibration absorbing pads that Bunnings sell. See post 22 here

But yeah, certainly will be looking at final solution for power cables and isolation into the future. Funds a but tight right now, and these bloody speakers already cost me a fortune as they are... Hahaha 

• Like 1

So right now I'm listening to Alt J - An Awesome Wave. When I was considering, I auditioned the wireless Kef LS50 ii and also a pair of Dynaudio Evoke 20s with a Peachtree integrated.

Early stages, for me, the buchardts are a much more enjoyable listen than the Kefs. But my memory of the Dynaudio's, they seemed more exciting and angaged me a listener more.

Volume is certainly not similar and I'm not in a hi fi show room here. But for the little but more money, yeah the Dynaudio's I reckon are better.

Having said that, a bit of room correction and change in master tunings might make me re consider.

In any case, I'm happy and the wife certainly loves the lack of clutter that the buchardts bring. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Bomber Rock said:

So right now I'm listening to Alt J - An Awesome Wave. When I was considering, I auditioned the wireless Kef LS50 ii and also a pair of Dynaudio Evoke 20s with a Peachtree integrated.

Early stages, for me, the buchardts are a much more enjoyable listen than the Kefs. But my memory of the Dynaudio's, they seemed more exciting and angaged me a listener more.

Volume is certainly not similar and I'm not in a hi fi show room here. But for the little but more money, yeah the Dynaudio's I reckon are better.

Having said that, a bit of room correction and change in master tunings might make me re consider.

In any case, I'm happy and the wife certainly loves the lack of clutter that the buchardts bring. 

Very exciting to have new speakers...hope you get lots of listening time in. It is interesting you say that about the Dynaudios. Dynaudio make a very similar speaker (in some ways potentially identical) in the Focus XD series. There is a bookshelf model the 20XD, but given the additional driver in the Buchardts, you might consider the 30XD a more comparable offering. I would be interested to see if someone has compared them. My impression is that they use the same internal amplifiers (and probably DAC), but Buchardt offers a few more options by way of the Platen Hub being WISA compliant, the Master tunings and the DSP through the hub. Plus a slightly more modern connection interface. the Dynaudios have some customisation available through some adjustments on the back, but it is a much more traditional hi-fi model compared to the Buchardts. 

• Like 1

Interesting. I didn't hear any of that range. And I also need to muck around with positioning etc. I'm now listening to the strokes - this is it. On the way to the garage to our a second beer I got a little bit of a sweet spot behind my couch and I found myself doing a little air guitar. I also bumped the volume a bit. I'm being quite conservative being a school night, don't wanna wake the kids.

But certainly the connectivity and customisation was a massive selling point for me. So I'm looking forward to experimenting over the next month.

13 hours ago, tfj100 said:

Very exciting to have new speakers...hope you get lots of listening time in. It is interesting you say that about the Dynaudios. Dynaudio make a very similar speaker (in some ways potentially identical) in the Focus XD series. There is a bookshelf model the 20XD, but given the additional driver in the Buchardts, you might consider the 30XD a more comparable offering. I would be interested to see if someone has compared them. My impression is that they use the same internal amplifiers (and probably DAC), but Buchardt offers a few more options by way of the Platen Hub being WISA compliant, the Master tunings and the DSP through the hub. Plus a slightly more modern connection interface. the Dynaudios have some customisation available through some adjustments on the back, but it is a much more traditional hi-fi model compared to the Buchardts. 

Yes I think if you don’t want to wait for the Buchardt’s, the Focus 20XD would be a great option at their current price of $3750. They probably just don’t have the breadth of tunability the Buchardts..

1 hour ago, Ray H said:

Yes I think if you don’t want to wait for the Buchardt’s, the Focus 20XD would be a great option at their current price of $3750. They probably just don’t have the breadth of tunability the Buchardts..

Well, I cancelled my A500 order and went for 60XDs. I reasoned that for a similar price to the A500, I was getting a similar set-up, but more akin to the A700. But, I do have a relatively small, boxy room and have ended up using the Roon DSP feature to modify the sound to reduce the room effect. I would be dead keen to do a side by side comparison, but the 60XDs are not exactly portable...so I might be reliant on finding a kindly A500 owner who is happy for a few free beers in return for lumping their speakers over to my place! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tfj100 said:

Well, I cancelled my A500 order and went for 60XDs. I reasoned that for a similar price to the A500, I was getting a similar set-up, but more akin to the A700. But, I do have a relatively small, boxy room and have ended up using the Roon DSP feature to modify the sound to reduce the room effect. I would be dead keen to do a side by side comparison, but the 60XDs are not exactly portable...so I might be reliant on finding a kindly A500 owner who is happy for a few free beers in return for lumping their speakers over to my place! 

Yes I just got 60XD also, they are great so far.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tfj100 said:

Where in Melb do you reside? 

Was just about to try the master tunings feature. To this point i've kept it stock.

Lucky i read the following note saved on their shared google drive:

Customers that recived the A500 in March 2021 and after. Please do not install any mastertunings. This would bring your speakers into mono locked, we are working on a fix.

If you have installed one, then please instal the "New Tuning for March batch only"

Therefore, anyone just receiving their A500's, DON'T DOWNLOAD A MASTER TUNINGS FILE YET!!

I've just had a read through the different master tunings available. I'm pretty excited to try them all and hear the differences. It's such a great idea. Just a shame i can't try them yet...

Interesting to read in one of the tunings they say the bass extends to 22hz... pretty amazing for such small units but they definitely go low.

Will be pretty cool to hear the difference between the 2.5, and 3 way tunings, and i really want to hear the tuning that gives more mid range focus. 

Similar to the Genelec GLM System Profiler which allows you to pick profiles that either roll off the top end by different increments, or roll off slowly from 100hz the Buchardt master tunings offer similar.

Master Tunings Currently Available

Stock Tuning 2.5 way

Stock Tuning 2.5 way V2

Stock Tuning 2.5 way V2 - +1db Treble

Stock Tuning 2.5 way V2 - +2db Treble

Stock Tuning 2.5 way V2 - -1db Treble

Stock Tuning 2.5 way V2 - Set to 40hz instead of 25hz

Stock Tuning 2.5 way V2 - more forward mid range

Stock Tuning 2.5 way V2 - with wall filter (near wall use)

Nearfield 2.5 Way

Nearfield 3 way

Nearfield 3 way - w/ 1800hz Crossover

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tfj100 said:

Well, I cancelled my A500 order and went for 60XDs. I reasoned that for a similar price to the A500, I was getting a similar set-up, but more akin to the A700. But, I do have a relatively small, boxy room and have ended up using the Roon DSP feature to modify the sound to reduce the room effect.

Shame, given your small, boxy room which I assume is untreated.  The 60 XD has a boundary setting to compensate for walls, but nothing else out of the box for DSP.

You will be missing out on the A500 Advanced DSP settings.  From what I have read, it uses an iPhone to do broad sweeps of the room and you are done.  No measuring microphone, follow a measuring process, no need for DSP knowledge etc.  Unless you are experienced with DSP, you may struggle to get anything close with Roon DSP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wikeeboy said:

Was just about to try the master tunings feature. To this point i've kept it stock.

Lucky i read the following note saved on their shared google drive:

Customers that recived the A500 in March 2021 and after. Please do not install any mastertunings. This would bring your speakers into mono locked, we are working on a fix.

If you have installed one, then please instal the "New Tuning for March batch only"

Therefore, anyone just receiving their A500's, DON'T DOWNLOAD A MASTER TUNINGS FILE YET!!

Oh wow. Was literally just about to download the mid forward tuning and give it a go. Borrowed a mates spare iPhone, but can't for the life of me work out how to connect the hub to the app. Is connected both by Bluetooth and by Google Home got me stumped. 

6 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Shame, given your small, boxy room which I assume is untreated.  The 60 XD has a boundary setting to compensate for walls, but nothing else out of the box for DSP.

You will be missing out on the A500 Advanced DSP settings.  From what I have read, it uses an iPhone to do broad sweeps of the room and you are done.  No measuring microphone, follow a measuring process, no need for DSP knowledge etc.  Unless you are experienced with DSP, you may struggle to get anything close with Roon DSP.

Well, if I was serious I'd get a mini-dsp and microphone and manage it properly...I might still do that. Just a bit more of a faff compared to set and forget options like the A500. 

3 hours ago, tfj100 said:

Well, if I was serious I'd get a mini-dsp and microphone and manage it properly...I might still do that. Just a bit more of a faff compared to set and forget options like the A500. 

It will be a big challenge to replicate the A500 DSP with a mini DSP plus microphone.  It is a lot more than putting in a few PEQs. 

The beauty of the A500 is that it uses advanced DSP techniques (something very few here know) to optimise the sound to the room.  And through a very simple, easy process...

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo