Buchardt Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

:)

Which aspect did you find it "lacking" ?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Honestly to me I don't find it lacking much. Its a good all rounder speakers I find that can play most almost all genre of music. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

G'day all

Whilst driving around from job to job, I sometimes listen to podcasts. Sometimes John Darko.

His most recent discussion is; Mads Buchardt talks A500 actives and the power of DSP. See link below to 57 min podcast.

As I've been considering the NAD C658? for all things DAC, Streaming Room Correction etc, the new  Buchardt A500 Active system goes a couple of steps further and combines all that with active speakers.

https://www.buchardtaudio.com/products

There is one delivered cost, irrespective of where you live on the planet and a 45 day trial, coz you can't demo them anywhere.

As I don't have need for ear bleeding music anymore, and I want some of the modern stuff; I'm a bit keen.

Probably a pair of Osborn Interludes going cheap soon...

Does anyone here have additional info?

Gee Emm

Edited by Gee Emm
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like a winner to me.

Like the walnut finish and the bigger A700 looks like a beast.

The hub is probably the perfect device - can stream anything, DSP capable, WiSA subs and HDMI ARC!

I think you would be going from awesome old school speakers to an awesome modern speaker system.

• Like 1

I love the idea of being able to download different DSP settings to a USB key and simply load them into the speaker to get a slightly different presentation to the sound. I think they currently had 5 different configurations available on their site with more to come.

This won’t suit the audio purist but so often audiophiles aren’t so much after an upgrade to our system, but just something different.  Great innovation.

4 minutes ago, jt301 said:

I love the idea of being able to download different DSP settings to a USB key and simply load them into the speaker to get a slightly different presentation to the sound. I think they currently had 5 different configurations available on their site with more to come.

This won’t suit the audio purist but so often audiophiles aren’t so much after an upgrade to our system, but just something different.  Great innovation.

Hmmm, kind of IMO. What would have been really impressive to me is if one could change numerous profiles on the fly with a remote control a la Dirac Live.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Satanica said:

Hmmm, kind of IMO. What would have been really impressive to me is if one could change numerous profiles on the fly with a remote control a la Dirac Live.

Dirac is room correction.  These have their own version of room correction on top of what I was talking about.  Eg. you change these speakers from 2.5 way speakers to 3 way speakers just with a configuration download.

You should definitely buy these, use them for 6 months then sell them to me on SNA for 30% off. I was impressed by Max Buchardt in this interview, he seems like a real music first audiophile (to coin a Darko phrase). I liked that he was open about the technical aspect that he wasn't certain of too.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jt301 said:

Dirac is room correction.  These have their own version of room correction on top of what I was talking about.  Eg. you change these speakers from 2.5 way speakers to 3 way speakers just with a configuration download.

I know.

Very excited about these. I agree that it would be better to store the different configurations onboard the speaker and change via the remote. Must be a storage/software issue, which they can probably solve in a future update/model. Seems pretty clunky to have five USB keys lined up in a drawer. 

Apart from all the DSP and room correction goodies, one thing that stood out for me is the claim that they adjust dynamically to sound better at low volumes (Fletcher-Munson effect). Very few systems sound as good at conversation levels as they do at 'proper' listening levels. I'd love to save my ears and listen at lower levels if I could still get that 3D effect and hear everything in the music. 

At about $6,200 AUD landed for the A500, they're a pretty compelling package. By the time I sell my streamer, DAC, pre-amp, power amp, speakers, sub and cables, I wouldn't have to chip in much extra. I have a feeling they'll go up in price pretty soon after that Darko video. For those buying, I think I'd like my second hand pair in white, if you could. 

• Haha 1

I'll take mine in walnut. ?  And with the hub, please.??  A most interesting proposition since they would replace everything in my present system except my headphones/headphone amp and my TV.  I used to enjoy playing around with components in my youth but I'm getting a bit long in the tooth to bother with all that now.  I haven't used vinyl for nearly 40 years, all my CDs are ripped and I'm streaming more and more anyway.

I'm looking forward to reviews showing up on SNA.  I've seldom if ever seen Mr Darko as enthusiastic about a product as he is about these.

Edited by brumby
  • Like 1

I almost pushed the BUY bottom on these on the Buchardt site the other day. I like all the features and what they promise. John makes them sound like the best thing he’s ever reviewed but what I have noticed with him is that he tends to like functionality and technology/software over sound quality. In the end I decided to sit on it for a few days. I just can’t see how a pair of AUD$6500 speakers with built in amps and Dacs can out perform my current $6000 passive speakers and $10000 integrated amp/dac. 

would still love a listen on day though...

Edited by JC.
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, JC. said:

I just can’t see how a pair of AUD$6500 speakers with built in amps and Dacs can out perform my current $6000 passive speakers and $10000 integrated amp/dac. 

You'd be surprised what DSP and an active crossover can achieve. My Devialet Od'A and Dynaudio C1 sound better than my KEF LS50W but not by as much as the difference in cost. Some days, when I feel like really cranking it up, I prefer the KEFs.

To Top