JVC NEW DTM update ...

☺️

From JVC:

1. Theater Optimizer smart function, analyzes the usage environment for each user, and displays HDR content with optimum brightness.*
2. New Settings & Menu Structure
(1) Brightness levels settings are increased to five steps for the Frame Adapt HDR function
(was previously three steps).
(2) New Content Type menu, which displays usable Picture Mode based on each input signal.
Only the Picture Mode matching the input signal can be selected, preventing image distortion due to gamma and color gamut mismatch.
(3) Function which automatically switches to the optimal Color Profile according to the color gamut information of the content.
(4) Added Auto Pic. Mode Select function transitions according to each input signal
(SDR/3D/HDR10/HLG).
(5) Picture Mode for Panasonic's Ultra HD Blu-ray player DP-UB9000 Ultra HD Blu-ray player.
Added Picture Mode, which allows easy and optimized connection without individual manual settings.
(6) Improved JVC Calibration Software
*Theater Optimizer function is valid only in "Frame Adapt HDR" picture mode.
Overview of Firmware Upgrade:

• Firmware release date: Mid-November 2020
  • Supported products: DLA-NX5, DLA-NX7, DLA-NX9, DLA-RS1000, DLA-RS2000, DLA-
    RS3000
  • Content: Free of charge firmware Version 3.50
More info:

Theater Optimizer allows the integrator or user to input the screen size and gain information, which varies depending on the theater design, and then calculates installation information such as lens zoom position, and lamp condition and settings. It then automatically adjusts the projector for optimum tone mapping and brightness. By adding this function to Frame Adapt HDR, JVC allows each user to enjoy HDR10 content matched to the viewing environment without complicated manual adjustments.
18-bit level gamma processing is maintained while the feature is in use, bringing out deeper blacks in darker scenes, and higher peak whites in brighter scenes, along with the most realistic color, to reproduce high precision images with smooth gradations.
In response to user requests, the upgrade offers newly added settings and improved menu operations with this firmware update. Frame Adapt HDR brightness adjustment has been increased to five steps (previously three steps), and users can choose the picture mode according to input signals.
Complicated individual manual settings that were required in the past are now eliminated. With the newly added functions, users can easily enjoy powerful HDR images with these JVC projectors.

090320 JVC Update.pdf

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

thanks woofer

Great to see this gen2 update for jvc’s ! 

how nice of them yet again to provide this free for current owners ! Only brings loyalty !

curious approach the put the screen size and gain in ..  it works out the rest !

i wish still could skip to chase enter in or select with slider a fl or nits value ...anyways they are building some smarts in I guess to work out same ...wonder how works on zoomed scope and such ... I suppose that’s the brightness slider for some fine tuning :) and expanding from 3 to 5

wonder what on earth the Panasonic  9000 correlation is, though great to see both brands continuing to work together and supporting each other.

Looks like scope question answered,

From j liang on avs

“Looks like we don't even need to do any calculation for 240:1 or A-lens if JVC is taking account of installation mode, which already includes zoom position and anamorphic mode”

• Like 1

5 hours ago, betty boop said:

thanks woofer

Great to see this gen2 update for jvc’s ! 

how nice of them yet again to provide this free for current owners ! Only brings loyalty !

curious approach the put the screen size and gain in ..  it works out the rest !

i wish still could skip to chase enter in or select with slider a fl or nits value ...anyways they are building some smarts in I guess to work out same ...wonder how works on zoomed scope and such ... I suppose that’s the brightness slider for some fine tuning :) and expanding from 3 to 5

wonder what on earth the Panasonic  9000 correlation is, though great to see both brands continuing to work together and supporting each other.

That’s good regarding the Panasonic UB9000. Glad I kept it :) 

• Like 1

What I want to know with this upcoming new theatre optimizer there talking about entering the screen code that represents the screen material but when using their auto cal feature they ask you to turn it off. So I’m assuming that there going update the calibration software as well ?

• Like 2

Screen adjust is not part of Theater Optimizer. JVC just put everything on one page. Screen adjust is to help get the projector more accurate color wise, if you are not having your projector calibrated.

well Mike has cleared that up for me. It looks like it uses another way to determine screen material for theatre optimizer 

Edited by franin

Hey guys,

My N5 is now at around 350hrs lamp hours. I've been holding off on using autocal with my Spyder 5.  Should I wait until FW3.50 or should I apply autocal now? 

Also based on comments re colour inaccuracy of the Spyder 5 pro on this forum, I am only looking to calibtrate grayscale + white points. 

I am just wondering if the way FW3.50 (plus Theater Optomizer) works would impact an autocal pre update.

Cheers

Sand.

4 hours ago, franin said:

Personally I would wait. I did mine just recently and then the news came out with the new upcoming update. I would of waited if I knew. But it doesn’t take long to do regardless 

Thanks i might wait until 3.50 FW is released. Out of curiosity - did the autocal make a noticeable improvement? Cheers

4 hours ago, Squall88 said:

Thanks i might wait until 3.50 FW is released. Out of curiosity - did the autocal make a noticeable improvement? Cheers

Actually with my mine it seemed quite good out of the box wasn't that much out at all. Its all good to get X-Rite i1Basic Pro 2 for colour as well,  does an awesome job.

Edited by franin

On 04/09/2020 at 8:48 PM, Mobe1969 said:

Jeez I wish they'd release a laser unit with this.

For such a niche high cost market, why is everyone so damn stupid

They wont because it takes away from the higher priced models.

No native 4k laser with excellent optics and good tone mapping and native contrast will ever come when they have higher priced units getting the good bits.

The only company that could pull this off is Epson, they have nothing above the 9400 right now. The LS10000 model is no more, so there's a window of opportunity for them to own the market in that regard. Sub 12-15K native 4k laser with sublime optics and all the other bells and whistles.. Yeah I expect a lot ha

• Like 1
  • Love 1

45 minutes ago, oztheatre said:

They wont because it takes away from the higher priced models.

No native 4k laser with excellent optics and good tone mapping and native contrast will ever come when they have higher priced units getting the good bits.

The only company that could pull this off is Epson, they have nothing above the 9400 right now. The LS10000 model is no more, so there's a window of opportunity for them to own the market in that regard. Sub 12-15K native 4k laser with sublime optics and all the other bells and whistles.. Yeah I expect a lot ha

Take away from what higher price model? The Z1? There isn't even discussion of a replacement for that, or a hardware upgrade option. How would that take away anything? I don't understand.

13 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

Take away from what higher price model? The Z1? There isn't even discussion of a replacement for that, or a hardware upgrade option. How would that take away anything? I don't understand.

Sorry I wasn't just referring to JVC.

If they put in high end optics and laser, who would buy not only the Z1 but the NX9? 

Same goes for Sony, if they put in excellent optics in the cheaper units, who would buy the 760 or 870? If they made the 590 for example with laser and the same optics, why would you spend over 10K more for the same thing? 

There has to be, because of the nature of these businesses, a compromise,  which says you can't have excellent everything in the cheaper units.

15 minutes ago, oztheatre said:

Sorry I wasn't just referring to JVC.

If they put in high end optics and laser, who would buy not only the Z1 but the NX9? 

Same goes for Sony, if they put in excellent optics in the cheaper units, who would buy the 760 or 870? If they made the 590 for example with laser and the same optics, why would you spend over 10K more for the same thing? 

There has to be, because of the nature of these businesses, a compromise,  which says you can't have excellent everything in the cheaper units.

I guess I'm really just bemoaning the fact that no-one, Sony or JVC seem to be interested in releasing a laser based projector with DTM. And JVC has DTM, and are about to release a second gen update to it, and there aren't even rumors in the works of them releasing a new laser unit

Edited by Mobe1969

Just now, Mobe1969 said:

I guess I'm really just bemoaning the fact that no-one, Sony or JVC seem to be interested in releasing a laser based projector with DTM. And JVC has DTM, and are about to release a second gen update to it, and there aren't even rumors in the works of them releasing a new laser unit

Japan are tight lipped, both JVC and Sony.

It will come in time no doubt, just not this year, maybe next, who knows?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

I think I recently read mike G on a/vs saying JVC still would be couple years off still with doing a laser in their N series. as much as probably want it ...they also have to have the capability to deliver :D jvc are quite innovative but also a quite small player and company.

that timing probably also matches where world economy is as well, which is in a complete hole at present. 

while they went up in the N chasis to no doubt accomodate a laser in the future in any case its not like a laser N7/9 or something are suddenly going to sold at same price as bulb models. they have to recoup R&D costs for anything new and major development like that so would have to sell at some premium over existing model to recoup.

likes of epson on other hand. still sitting on same old 1080p dark chip platform for over a decade now...should have milked that enough to invest in future line... surely :D they are a major force too.... if anyone could they should be able to with new chassis. ... 4k native an laser and dynamic tone mapping to tick all your boxes like oz too wants them to do ? 

• Like 2

Kris Deerings, review of the NEW JVC (upcoming) DTM update to JVC NX series projectors....

A small improvement for existing JVC users  ( and NOT "set and forget" )  and  still not offering what is achievable via madVR /Envy or Lumagen..... ( but its FREE!   ?

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/hands-jvc-s-new-theater-optimizer-function

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

From Mike 

"Just found out, Theater Optimizer will automatically update the lamp usage hours every 100 hours. Also Theater Optimizer will account for anamorphic modes. The beta firmware does not do this but the final version will. image.gif.49006d630602eef9aac86d215312de62.gif

This firmware offering keeps getting better and better."

Wonder if they will auto for the theatre optimisation ?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...