I am still (slowly, slowly) working my way thru auditioning various speakers etc. I just ran into this little video with a (surely one of many) way to empirically work out your best speaker placement (assuming soundstage is what you're going for... https://youtu.be/MOY_SneLtro

Did anyone use this (or similar) method? Was it successful?

• Like 1

Too long … too boring.  :(

(But, yes … my spkrs do disappear!)

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Like 1

Did'n't try but wasn't there another video on 'LOTS' by the same channel?, which is his speaker placement guide? Great concept but room is too messy. Need to clear the room first 😃

sna tragic: hey babe, you know that 20K we pulled outta our SMS fund? ...so i reinvested it in a awesome new pair of speakers, they arrive tomorrow

significant other: you what? what about the awesome speakers you bought 6 months ago ?

sna tragic: oh those! they disappeared babe

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

On 03/09/2020 at 7:16 PM, perthpete said:

I am still (slowly, slowly) working my way thru auditioning various speakers etc. I just ran into this little video with a (surely one of many) way to empirically work out your best speaker placement (assuming soundstage is what you're going for... https://youtu.be/MOY_SneLtro

Did anyone use this (or similar) method? Was it successful?

Hey @perthpete

As a serious response; no i haven't tried that presenter's method.  It might be worth a go if the speakers are not too large/heavy to keep repositioning.  I simply positioned mine out from the front wall, and out from the corners, to an extent that made sense to me...and which i found much later happened to be essentially the 'rule of 1/5' discussed in the Dynaudio speaker placement youtube vid (warning: an overly long and stiffly presented video 😆).  Generally with very good result...and the recording/mastering being a huge factor IMO. 

Cheers

2B

• Like 1

Will watch this video in an hour or so (when wify is away :-)). I most definitely have learned by now for sure that it is good to put speakers away from the walls...

I’ve found the Wilson Audio Speaker Positioning, known as WASP, very useful, especially the room voicing technique.

• Like 1

The best disappearing speakers I've ever heard was a pair of KEF LS50W in our fully insulated but not yet gyp rocked room with the speakers in a large open window. The sound just hang in the air in between the speakers. It was spooky, that good. But ultimately it lacked body and I think over time it would have bored me to tears. I think it's necessary to find a balance between sound stage and tonal accuracy. I would trade sound stage for tonal accuracy any time.

On 14/09/2020 at 2:46 AM, Pim said:

I would trade sound stage for tonal accuracy any time.

if tonal accuracy means a smooth frequency response, then that's critical for any good speaker - and the best speakers have a smooth frequency response on and off axis, so 1st reflections from walls/floor/ceiling have the same spectral content as the direct sound.

"Sound stage" is captured via good recording techniques, where a sense of the recording space can be replicated in the listening room if you have speakers with a smooth frequency response on and off axis.

The trend towards recordings with close miking these days removes any real sense of the space the recording was done in, and worse "pan potting" creates unrealistic "sound stages" - an example being recordings of piano where the low keys come from 1 speaker and the high keys the other - the piano is the width of your speakers :( hardly great sound stage.

IMO speakers that have a smooth frequency response on and off axis will "disappear" more easily, and be less difficult to place in the room.

They will also be better able to replicate any "soundstage" information on the recording.

Mike

• Like 1
On 08/09/2020 at 8:35 PM, awayward said:

I’ve found the Wilson Audio Speaker Positioning, known as WASP, very useful, especially the room voicing technique.

Agreed.

cheers,

Terry

On 08/09/2020 at 6:35 PM, awayward said:

Especially with a set of Wilsons...😉

20 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

Especially with a set of Wilsons...😉

Just out of curiosity, WASP has been around for many years, is it still the setup procedure Wilson recommend for their speakers?

Edited by awayward

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Sansui77
      You have to show how revealing your system is to others with a wide soundstage, 3D imaging & perfected tonal balance.

What songs or albums do you play on your system to give it the wow factor?

• By Rup
      Best music for speaker placement and best speaker placement tutorial???

Having acquired a pair of Harbeth P3ESR speakers I'm having fun looking for the ultimate speaker placement. 

I have downloaded
      The Visual Sound the Sound Liaison DXD Music Sampler 
      as it was recommended to me as being a great speaker placement tool.
       (Using the coupon code “XFI2019” you can download the 352DXD for $16 or the 24/ 96 files for $8.)
      Especially the phase coherent One Microphone recordings on the sampler seems excellent for that purpose: 
        Carmen Gomes inc. One Mic Recording Session       

https://www.soundliaison.com/index.php/536-sound-liaison-dxd-music-sampler 

On the net i.e.  youtube, there are a great number of tutorials in speaker placement. 
       Any of these you would especially recommend?
                                                                     https://www.harbeth.co.uk/speakers/userguide.php    

• By LostIdentity
      So I am getting two subwoofers

SVS PB-2000 Pro : Ported with dimensions 440mm(W) x 571mm(D) Martin Logan Dynamo 1100: Sealed with Dimensions 380mm(W) x 411mm(D)  
      Room: 5800mm(L) x 3500mm(W) x 2700mm(H). Screen drop from a bulkhead which is probably going to 5500mm

Reading few guides, it recommends ideally to have the two subs diagonal in the room if possible. I have a L shape couch with the end finishing at approx 3140mm and the wall is 3500mm. So gives me approx 360mm between sofa and wall. Neither will fit.

So I will have to move the couch in-front to accomodate a sub at the back. Which will mean to move the couch at-least 600mm (depending on sub) + 100-200mm due to the curtain for it to close and not over the sub. So assuming 800-1000mm which means the sitting position has already lost a meter in a room which is length of approx 5500mm from the drop screen for 130". So makes the viewing distance roughly 4m or around for that screen size.

So the questions are

Should I put a subwoofer diagonally behind or just keep both in front? Which one should it at the back? Ported or Sealed? Or doesn't matter?  If I put it behind the sofa, should there be need for it to have some space to breath right and can't stick the sofa right on the cone? Or just put the sub sideways and thus stick the sofa right to the sub? Should I put the 2nd sub in front (behind the screen as it drops) or in the middle of length of the room where the sofa ends (so a middle room sub and front room sub / back room sub)  
      Just trying to see what size cable I need to buy depending on the position of the two subs. I can't try it right now due to the house not ready so trying to guesstimate it here. Otherwise I will have to buy maximum lengths cable (approx 15m to go around to back and another 10m for middle room placement) and then just warp up the waste if all in front room. I want to avoid really large cables and then waste on behind the cabinet if possible. Just becomes a mess.

Attached guide from SVS for subwoofer placement

• By bitchick
      Hi, these are total beginner questions so if it's been well answered before please point me in the right direction.

OK so I just came from listening on cheap headphones and portable bluetooth speakers to a NAD 3045D + B&W 606's (on stands).

I am listening either to my library ripped over the years from CD's using JRiver, or Deezer HiFi streaming or Tidal HiFi/MQA streaming (trialling because Deezer has some bad problems).  Have tried both USB and optical connections from computer to NAD 3045D, and also optical connection to Chromecast Audio.  It looks like USB lets me enjoy higher quality options (although I'm not sure I can hear it) and is generally more reliable, so I'm going to use that by preference.

Questions:

Jitter - is it worth spending a few hundred dollars on the various devices that are available for USB connection?  My system sounds so much better than anything I had before that I don't recognise any problem at all.  Since it was not a super expensive system I don't want to waste money just to find out.  On the other hand I don't mind spending that sort of amount to make it even better.

Speaker placement - how can I learn a little more without having to keep moving speakers and furniture around?  Especially these questions - does it really matter whether the speakers are at normal listening height, or do they just need to be angled so they are aimed at the listener? what if there is no normal listening position, because of the way the room is used?  When I have the volume up it feels more like listening to the room than listening to the speakers, and it doesn't matter where I am in the room.  Am I imagining that?

Thanks for helping me start this journey.
    • By RTR001
      Hey all, I'm hoping someone on here may have some experience with electrostatic speakers and difficult placement requiring the use of acoustic panels.

I've purchased a pair of Martin Logan ESLs for my lounge room and I went in with my eyes open regarding difficult placement etc of this type of speaker. My situation is that ideally I need them to sit a little further back than the minimal recommended 2' from rear and side walls. They sound great where they are at the moment but having them so far forward is not aesthetically pleasing in our main living area (and the Mrs needs to be as chuffed as I am) so I want to move them back into more of a 'traditional' speaker placement.

Does anyone have any experience running these closer to the walls? I'm assuming absorption panels behind /beside will help but will it also reduce the sound stage/volume? Would diffusion panels be better behind them? My ideal placement would have one speaker ~1' from the front and side wall, while the other is open on the sides but would still be ~1' from the front wall.

Really appreciate any advice/wisdom