Field Coil Drivers - seen these from Japan?

Guest atilsley

Guest atilsley

Maxonic FC drivers look very nice.

Anyone using these or similar?

Similar to Kilimanjaro units...I know Wolf uses GPA units as starting points for the bass.

Any AUS suppliers/modifiers of FC drivers....?

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Don't know anyone in AU running Maxonic drivers, but I did hear a pair of those TW7000B or was it TW7000R (not too sure, definitely wasn't the TW11000B as it didn't have that tweeter). It paired with a Shindo pre amd power amp, when I was in Japan at some random hifi store. Sounded pretty darn impressive. If I had to comment on the sound, seemed much more resolute, refined and detailed compared to Altec 604 (which I have heard in a totally different setup so, comparisons are kind of pointless! sorry!)

Not sure on pricing though.. (although my guess is, it is one of those brands where if you ask.. then you don't want to know!)

I am also curious about the field coil concept and this is what Kondo is coming up with in a few months.

2 way field coil floor standing speakers. :)

ces-kond4_big.jpg

Yes indeed my Fav speaker from this years CES--Spent much time absorbing the Kondo Room-I bought the CD they used for their Demo--Gary Karr Songs of Prayer.

Willco

A brief comment, for what its worth. I believe Wolf's Kili's are a little price flexible for the serious buyer. My communications with him indicated this. I hope its ok to nominate/identify David Cathro in Melbourne as a Kilimenjaro f/c bass driver owner. I believe his f/c bass drivers are based on JBL drivers-a Kili model no longer available now.

As for Maxonic, well maybe not-and as Tuyen says, if you have to ask then maybe you are not a Maxonic buyer afterall. Maxonic is very very expensive. An exclusive Japanese brand of refinement and desire.

Guest atilsley

Thanks...

Jack, nice looking speakers from Kondo....strange style...but all class.

Rullit in Germany offer FC's, as does German Full Range drivers, which uses AER bases....

This OB project looks intriguing....

• 7 years later...
On 19/06/2011 at 5:45 AM, tuyen said:

Hi Andrew,

Don't know anyone in AU running Maxonic drivers, but I did hear a pair of those TW7000B or was it TW7000R (not too sure, definitely wasn't the TW11000B as it didn't have that tweeter). It paired with a Shindo pre amd power amp, when I was in Japan at some random hifi store. Sounded pretty darn impressive. If I had to comment on the sound, seemed much more resolute, refined and detailed compared to Altec 604 (which I have heard in a totally different setup so, comparisons are kind of pointless! sorry!)

Not sure on pricing though.. (although my guess is, it is one of those brands where if you ask.. then you don't want to know!)

I had the good fortune of finding a pair of Maxonic

Atores speaker in Quanzhou China. I wasn't even looking for speakers just window shopping. Heard nice music coming from one shop so I went in for a listen.  3 hours later I decided to buy these ugly looking big horn speakers which brand name I never heard of.  That was about 10 years ago when I had them shipped from China to Canada.  They are Maxonic Atores from the 70s from Japan which is all I knew about them! 

I bought them because of how they sound. Super fast transient, dynamic, rich harmonics and wait, sound stage and layering from horns!  I don't know how many pairs of these still exist. I am so lucky! Wait till you find out how much I paid .

1538520083278949887252.jpg

1538520129080972833231.jpg

• Like 2

On 19 June 2011 at 5:25 PM, Guest atilsley said:

Maxonic FC drivers look very nice.

Anyone using these or similar?

Similar to Kilimanjaro units...I know Wolf uses GPA units as starting points for the bass.

Any AUS suppliers/modifiers of FC drivers....?

Andrew

That coax is definitely the GPA 604-8h III horn and basket.

• 5 months later...