Importing Schiits

Seems like A2A ran out most of their Schiits and the only way is to buy direct from Schiits website. 

Has anyone purchased direct from Schiit?

They only offer Fedex/USPS shipping which is expensive and wondering if it’s worth it with the addition of 10% GST + importing fees. 

Just to give an idea of shipping the Schiit Magni 3 to Australia:

• FedEx International Economy $46.65
  • USPS Uninsured International $46.98
  • FedEx International Priority $52.31
  • USPS Priority International $69.98
  • USPS Priority Express International $93.63
  • Pickup at the Schiitr in Newhall, CA $0.00
Edited by mrpato

I have an item from usps it is indeed taking weeks ! Goes via Perth for some reason even though am in east coast. Left us a month ago still waiting. Tracking in AU is hopeless. Believe usps hand over to auspost once in AU. Auspost is asking for volunteers to deliver parcels in their own cars :D says all

pick Dhl as choice.. usually very good !

10 hours ago, mrpato said:

They only offer Fedex/DHL shipping which is expensive and wondering if it’s worth it with the addition of 10% GST. 

Not only 10% GST, also 5% import duty and customs handling fee. Roughly, add 20% to total amount, including shipping.

There is also the issue of warranty...

27 minutes ago, betty boop said:

I have an item from usps it is indeed taking weeks ! Goes via Perth for some reason even though am in east coast. Left us a month ago still waiting. Tracking in AU is hopeless. Believe usps hand over to auspost once in AU. Auspost is asking for volunteers to deliver parcels in their own cars :D says all

pick Dhl as choice.. usually very good !

Same, my USPS parcel from US went to Hong Kong and than to Perth and than nothing, no updates for last two weeks.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, :) Go Away (: said:

Same, my USPS parcel from US went to Hong Kong and than to Perth and than nothing, no updates for last two weeks.

Yes, same here.  Parcels seem to 'get lost' in Perth for 2 or 3 weeks.  :(

Andy

4 minutes ago, andyr said:

Yes, same here.  Parcels seem to 'get lost' in Perth for 2 or 3 weeks.  :(

Andy

At first, I thought these were being quarantined due to COVID-19 for a week or so, but now I know that is not the case as the parcel from Schiit.com via FedEx arrived in less than two weeks.

Auspost really need to hire more staff, there surely has enough work around and enough people to take on the job.

• Like 2

Just now, Snoopy8 said:

OP asked about FedEx/DHL.  It seems like this thread has gone OT discussing UPS, Aust Post ??? :cry: 

Apologies about that.

Back to the point. 

I would recommend FedEx for deliveries from Schiit.com, they are little expensive than USPS but has faster shipping from Schiit.

• Like 2

USPS and many carriers are severely impacted by COVID-19 at the moment. Most of their capacity comes from renting space in the belly of passenger planes and there isn't much travel at the moment. We received a notice from our freight forwarder that USPS is experiencing delays of up to 1.5months at the moment. DHL has its own fleet of cargo planes so doesn't seem to be impacted but you'll pay them well for the extra speed.

Edited by myhifiacct

I used FedEx and a few of my orders from the US in the past month has arrived in 1 weeks time, much quicker than non-express Aust Post order from Perth or Melbourne.  FedEx is expensive but it’s like a express service so you get what you pay for. 

23 minutes ago, att23 said:

I used FedEx and a few of my orders from the US in the past month has arrived in 1 weeks time, much quicker than non-express Aust Post order from Perth or Melbourne.  FedEx is expensive but it’s like a express service so you get what you pay for. 

How much importing fees and GST were you charged?

I'm trying to take advantage of the strong AUD conversion rate to buy directly from them. However, the expensive shipping and fees might not cut it.

8 minutes ago, att23 said:

Btw, what are you after from Schiit? Have you posted in the WTB section? 

Initially I'm after the Jotunheim, missed out a few sales recently.

While doing a bit of research, I'll probably go for the Asgard 3 & Modius stack.

1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

OP asked about FedEx/DHL.  It seems like this thread has gone OT discussing UPS, Aust Post ??? :cry: 

My bad! Many apologies. It should have been FedEx and USPS.

Here's a comparison of shipping one of the smallest unit from Schiit, the Magni:

SHIPPING OPTIONS AVAILABLE

• FedEx International Economy $46.65
  • USPS Uninsured International $46.98
  • FedEx International Priority $52.31
  • USPS Priority International $69.98
  • USPS Priority Express International $93.63

2 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Not only 10% GST, also 5% import duty and customs handling fee. Roughly, add 20% to total amount, including shipping.

There is also the issue of warranty...

OMG that's crazy money. I read that the 10% GST, 5% and customs fees are calculate with the inclusion of the Shipping as well.

Comparing the prices of importing vs local:

Magni:

Local = AUD$260 from A2A

Import direct = AUD$238.56 [USD$174.78 ($99 + 20%)]

17 minutes ago, mrpato said:

How much importing fees and GST were you charged?

I'm trying to take advantage of the strong AUD conversion rate to buy directly from them. However, the expensive shipping and fees might not cut it.

I think GST is standard 10% that gets passed directly onto customers but not all overseas vendors will charge that, depending on the revenue of their business etc.

Please also note that local retailer pricing are sometimes negotiable depending on different factors. 

26 minutes ago, att23 said:

I think GST is standard 10% that gets passed directly onto customers but not all overseas vendors will charge that, depending on the revenue of their business etc.

Please also note that local retailer pricing are sometimes negotiable depending on different factors. 

There aren't any stocks from local retailers at the moment as they are also impacted by the expensive shipping costs?

39 minutes ago, mrpato said:

OMG that's crazy money. I read that the 10% GST, 5% and customs fees are calculate with the inclusion of the Shipping as well.

Comparing the prices of importing vs local:

Magni:

Local = AUD$260 from A2A

Import direct = AUD$238.56 [USD$174.78 ($99 + 20%)]

Ordered the Modius.  Arrived in 2 weeks. Didn't pay anything other that the shipping (FedEx economy).

Just now, mrpato said:

That's a good thing! You've slipped through the crack :)

I heard that customs aren't really gung ho on collecting GST as it's the responsibility of the seller now?

25 minutes ago, mrpato said:

There aren't any stocks from local retailers at the moment as they are also impacted by the expensive shipping costs?

I am not a store owner/importer so I am not sure of the exact reason(s).

As a consumer, buying one item at a time, I personally have not seen any huge rise in shipping cost due to COVID.
But perhaps the story is different if a business needs to import half a container worth of goods.
More likely local businesses are being very cautious nowadays and only wanna sell what they already have in stock and not to overstock.