Mr and Mrs listening together - Who's In charge

I’m always in charge as she has no idea how to get any of my Systems to play music, terrible shame really. ?

edit-she can get the devialet phantom silvers to work but I wouldn’t really count them when it comes to a system. 

Edited by Yamaha_man
  • Like 1

On 01/09/2020 at 10:28 PM, gillmaverick said:

Well Guys ,

Although I have my man cave where my 2 channel rig is set up but there is life after man cave. So  after a hard day in the backyard pulling weeds I spent some time in the man cave listening to tunes. Now When I was sitting in the lounge with Mrs and She wanted to play some music. Mrs was in charge  and I did not like her music choice one bit ( I did not tell her that ) . She likes to see videos on you tube rather than Tidal etc.  but you tube is crap and She does not care how well the music is recorded as long as She can see video on tele and that frustrates me.  Just wondering how  everyone copes with listening to music with the other half................

When I was in Cook Islands on my honeymoon, I was given the best advice ever. And that was there is only one important phrase for a married man - "Yes, dear."

That, and I'm listing to some music via YouTube on cans and it sounds OK (admittedly I'm working, so not paying too much attention). The music is probably better than the playback, but if the toes are tapping I can forgive the quality.

You can make it into a joint venture: Mrs R & I used to have playlist evenings.

We would both edit the playlist through the week (that way we both agree what should be played) and then that is our set list for the evening.

Sometimes we would theme it - eg. all the songs have to be named, or about, cats.

A lot of fun was had.

• Like 2

On 02/09/2020 at 7:34 PM, gillmaverick said:

Yes Clive ,

I had to dug out 2 truckloads of dirt from under the house to create an extra 12 X 4.5 meter space for the cave. Once this covid C*** is over Will get you boys over sometime hopefully.

On 02/09/2020 at 7:56 PM, evil c said:

You've just given me an idea, just need to hire a #digger ! ?

Sounds good to me. 

Except for @Luc  I'd never hear the end of it, "ya listenin knucklehead , yer doin' it all wrong hear what I'm sayin blah blah"?

@evil c NO! Don't bury the missus under the house, it's a hard secret to keep. (Woops ?).

• Haha 2

On 02/09/2020 at 4:14 PM, Bugs said:

I've found the best way to keep the peace is select a "theme" such as OZ rock , female singers, jazz or what ever, you get two songs and then it's her go, we call it "juke box jury" works a treat after a couple of drinks, but you must avoid bands that your partner hates, in my case that unfortunately includes Frank Zappa

I am not surprised, FZ was a raving misogynist! 

Edited by Soundscape

Everyone's missus needs a hobby that gets her out of the house once in a while. My wife's hobby is drinking with friend and neighbors. I also have the luxury of having her at work once in a while when I have the day off. Still I feel I don't get enough 'me and my stereo' time.

• Like 1

• Volunteer
On 03/09/2020 at 8:49 PM, evil c said:

Yeah ,nah - still too good a cook !

Am I allowed to say that in these "Cancel culture " times?? :ermm:

You can say what you like I guess. But being the gregarious and convivial chap that you are Clive, I’m sure you’d never say anything that might hurt someone’s feelings. 

1 hour ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

You can say what you like I guess. But being the gregarious and convivial chap that you are Clive, I’m sure you’d never say anything that might hurt someone’s feelings. 

You're right about me not wishing to hurt anyone's feelings - and I try to see the good in others , although sometimes it's a struggle! ?

Edited by evil c
  • Like 1

Is it possible that partnered posters are seriously considering the quandry ("whose music") as a musical issue? Surely the aim of having a great system is to bring a smile to your partner's face on the (curated) occasions you are entwined in sonic and musical appreciation...and that this must inevitably lead to an increase in one's own partnership 'credit rating' ...completing the circle of domestic bliss in which hi-fi, acquisitions, lounge room system positioning and mutual enjoyment co-exist seamlessly. As if most of your partner's waking moments were already devoted to ensuring a generally harmonious household/relationship management outcome (because she has that responsibility)--and you had the occasional opportunity to return the favour. But wait! That's actually happening...

Listening to some strange music is therefore a small price to pay, I say. Headphones and mancaves have their place but always remember the credit rating.

Just my 2c worth (50th wedding anniversary next April)

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, doogie44 said:

Is it possible that partnered posters are seriously considering the quandry ("whose music") as a musical issue? Surely the aim of having a great system is to bring a smile to your partner's face on the (curated) occasions you are entwined in sonic and musical appreciation...and that this must inevitably lead to an increase in one's own partnership 'credit rating' ...completing the circle of domestic bliss in which hi-fi, acquisitions, lounge room system positioning and mutual enjoyment co-exist seamlessly. As if most of your partner's waking moments were already devoted to ensuring a generally harmonious household/relationship management outcome (because she has that responsibility)--and you had the occasional opportunity to return the favour. But wait! That's actually happening...

Listening to some strange music is therefore a small price to pay, I say. Headphones and mancaves have their place but always remember the credit rating.

Just my 2c worth (50th wedding anniversary next April)

Both my wife and I believe the secret to a successful marriage is 'me' time. She gets it when I work away from home, I get it when she's working and I'm on break. We do things together but when it comes to music we have different tastes. We both enjoy the quality of the stereo but if it wasn't for me she probably wouldn't have gone out to spend so much on it. I can't wait to have my man cave though. She'll likely see less and less of me then.

• Like 1

On 03/09/2020 at 11:08 AM, Cloth Ears said:

When I was in Cook Islands on my honeymoon, I was given the best advice ever. And that was there is only one important phrase for a married man - "Yes, dear."

I am using the word NO instead. 

I would invest in a nice pair of open back headphones with enough leakage to annoy her..

With a bit of persistence and luck, she may get so frustrated with your subtle 'protest' that, she will decide on a second tv set in another room.

..and then, you can be the good husband (in the good books), by offering to help her with setting up a 'half decent' system there so, she can enjoy her Y.T. without your annoying sounds...

Win, win for all! ?

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 02/09/2020 at 8:04 AM, Marc said:

Nod and smile. My advice :)

I don't have to read the entire thread - here is your answer.

And let me give you some free advice from an old guy: at home I ALWAYS have the last word - and it's normally "I'm sorry love, I don't know what I was thinking". ?

Rob

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So my gf made me purchase a 2.5 seater so we both can enjoy music together. I knew this was a mistake but i complied. 

The other night Mrs started whining about my music choice and that she had a headache while on the 2.5 seater. So i got off picked her up and carried her to the TV room... 

There was no sex that night but the music was great. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 5

Had a new development in the last few weeks. First my wife sent me a message when I was at work telling me she was sitting in the sweet spot (My chair) and really enjoying her play list. Just a few nights ago we had a night together; I had made some changes to the speaker set up. I went for a near field setting, which means the living room turns into a mess; speakers two meters into the room, couches all over the place, etc. Initially she wasn't impressed with the state of the room but once she had a listen in the sweet spot, she loved it. She wants to have more listening nights now and she's even interested in tweaking the setup for better sound. She's got a keen ear so this could well be the best partner I could find to get the best out of my system. Who knew?

After listening I had to put everything back to where it was before. She's not that into it to want to live in a complete mess just for better sound. Oh well...

• Like 6

Mrs. Feline's not one to sit and listen to music on the stereo.  She will go to a concert.  She will also enjoy listening to the music I play at home, while she is in her office working or doing other things around the house.  However, there are some times when I'm playing certain records when she will put on noise-cancelling headphones.  I don't understand why she would want to do that.

• Haha 1