Mr and Mrs listening together - Who's In charge

Well Guys ,

Although I have my man cave where my 2 channel rig is set up but there is life after man cave. So  after a hard day in the backyard pulling weeds I spent some time in the man cave listening to tunes. Now When I was sitting in the lounge with Mrs and She wanted to play some music. Mrs was in charge  and I did not like her music choice one bit ( I did not tell her that ) . She likes to see videos on you tube rather than Tidal etc.  but you tube is crap and She does not care how well the music is recorded as long as She can see video on tele and that frustrates me.  Just wondering how  everyone copes with listening to music with the other half................

Edited by gillmaverick
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nod and smile. My advice

Who's in charge?   If you need to ask, you're not.

i got rid of the missus years ago . . . No WAF to consider . . . life is good

• Moderators
10 hours ago, gillmaverick said:

Well Guys ,

Although I have my man cave where my 2 channel rig is set up but there is life after man cave. So  after a hard day in the backyard pulling weeds I spent some time in the man cave listening to tunes. Now When I was sitting in the lounge with Mrs and She wanted to play some music. Mrs was in charge  and I did not like her music choice one bit ( I did not tell her that ) . She likes to see videos on you tube rather than Tidal etc.  but you tube is crap and She does not care how well the music is recorded as long as She can see video on tele and that frustrates me.  Just wondering how  everyone copes with listening to music with the other half................

Tough spot !

grin & bare it :D

other option jump early and  invite her to stuff might be some cross over ...

ps with more people home ALL the time I purchased a dap and closed headphones lately ... gives some escape ...

Doesn't really happen in our house, Mrs. B. tends towards streaming Netflix or the like rather than music, and I rarely watch music videos except maybe on my PC which is in a different room to either TV or stereo.

11 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

If you need to ask, you're not.

Not like you, aye Ant?😉

Edited by cheekyboy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Go 'back to back' with her and theme the next song off the previous.

For example:  she might pick a P!ink song, then you pick Pink Floyd - Another Brick in the Wall, then she may pick Oasis - Wonder Wall and so on.... eveyone gets a turn and gets to steer the music in certain directions.

We stream from an iPad mini so that's the controller we share.

Edited by Steak Face
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, cheekyboy said:

Not like you, aye Ant?😉

I know what to play when Mrs G wants to listen. Fortunately I don't hate it. My biggest problem is finding a skirt that fits properly.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I've found the best way to keep the peace is select a "theme" such as OZ rock , female singers, jazz or what ever, you get two songs and then it's her go, we call it "juke box jury" works a treat after a couple of drinks, but you must avoid bands that your partner hates, in my case that unfortunately includes Frank Zappa

• Like 1
18 hours ago, gillmaverick said:

Well Guys ,

Although I have my man cave where my 2 channel rig is set up but there is life after man cave. So after a hard day in the backyard pulling weeds I spent some time in the man cave listening to tunes. Now When I was sitting in the lounge with Mrs and She wanted to play some music. Mrs was in charge  and I did not like her music choice one bit ( I did not tell her that ) . She likes to see videos on you tube rather than Tidal etc.  but you tube is crap and She does not care how well the music is recorded as long as She can see video on tele and that frustrates me.  Just wondering how  everyone copes with listening to music with the other half................

I don't, I just go to the Man Cave and so should you. :yes:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, gillmaverick said:

Well Guys ,

Throw a big tantrum, remind her whose system it is and she's lucky to listen to your impeccable good taste in music- and in women!! 😬

Edit : you have a man cave as well??

I had to turn my lounge into one! 😒

Edited by evil c
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

two rooms with two different systems, hers, mine, rare meetings of music, perfect harmony

• Like 1
9 hours ago, betty boop said:

grin & bare it :D

OK, I’m not sure what you’re baring, but doing that and grinning at the same time might not be advisable!!😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, cheekyboy said:

OK, I’m not sure what you’re baring, but doing that and grinning at the same time might not be advisable!!😄

Depends on whether you get a return cheeky grin, but let's keep this G rated😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, rantan said:

Depends on whether you get a return cheeky grin, but let's keep this G rated😇

Exactly the point I was getting at and this is a family forum, is it not?😄..............and from a mod too.😲

• Like 1

Organise her own set up!

My ex was the same... got a nice (but not to pricey) second hand amp and speakers and hooked it up to the TV (and bonus improvement in Tv sound quality).

hey OP i think you are lucky she wants to listen to music (wish my wife did ever) and should use the great advice of various posters regarding taking turns and themes guiding selections.  also youtube can sound great.  i bought an admittedly expensive DAC that was reputedly less concerned with source and it has optical connection to TV.  beautiful sound.  i mean i prefer the antipodes, but what to do?  we had some good times with "old town road" there for a while 🙂

Its all good guys. I rarely listen music in the lounge room anyway. Its mainly our Movie and Tele room.Mrs doesnt listen to music that much anyway. It's funny how She can not tell the obvious difference in sound quality between bad recording and good one. Man cave is in the basement and She never comes there as aparently She can smell mould in there somewhere. All I smell is music....lol

• Like 1
2 hours ago, evil c said:

Throw a big tantrum, remind her whose system it is and she's lucky to listen to your impeccable good taste in music- and in women!! 😬

Edit : you have a man cave as well??

I had to turn my lounge into one! 😒

Yes Clive ,

I had to dug out 2 truckloads of dirt from under the house to create an extra 12 X 4.5 meter space for the cave. Once this covid C*** is over Will get you boys over sometime hopefully.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, gillmaverick said:

Yes Clive ,

I had to dug out 2 truckloads of dirt from under the house to create an extra 12 X 4.5 meter space for the cave. Once this covid C*** is over Will get you boys over sometime hopefully.

You've just given me an idea, just need to hire a #digger ! 😉

Sounds good to me. 

Except for @Luc  I'd never hear the end of it, "ya listenin knucklehead , yer doin' it all wrong hear what I'm sayin blah blah"😬

Edited by evil c
21 hours ago, gillmaverick said:

Just wondering how  everyone copes with listening to music with the other half................

Edited 20 hours ago by gillmaverick

I don't.

I have a dedicated mancave that most here would know and it's able to be closed off from the rest of the house(relatively speaking) and music can be played at moderate levels without any drama.

I'm also lucky to have a second mancave/workshop which is still being finished.

But I'm in the planning stage for a third mancave storage area/ come shed/  and go as far from the house mancave/ as is possible on a large suburban rural-ish block.

She thinks it's a wonderful idea.😎🙏🍷

All three of them.

Her music?

Family Spotify and a couple of strategically placed active wifi/BT speakers attuned to her Apple gear(I'm Android) and peace reigns supreme.

Conflicts? Hmm, as long as I recognise that she is indeed 'The Handbrake' then we're good to go.😎🙏💘

*Listening as a couple rarely happens as it's not big on her radar and if there's friends around then she trusts that I'll play the 'right' kinda muzak at the right volume.

It's a template that works.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, evil c said:

I'd never hear the end of it

Silence is golden this end.

2 minutes ago, sloper said:

Its the snoring when she falls asleep that bothers me.

regards Bruce

Then the judicious placement of sound absorption in the room will solve this ....

• Like 1

I’m always in charge as she has no idea how to get any of my Systems to play music, terrible shame really. 🤣

edit-she can get the devialet phantom silvers to work but I wouldn’t really count them when it comes to a system. 

Edited by Yamaha_man
  • Like 1
18 hours ago, Satanica said:

I don't, I just go to the Man Cave and so should you. :yes:

Yep..not gonna win this one @gillmaverick.  My next home has a 4x10m man cave downstairs that will solve this dilemma in the weeks to come :)

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, MrC said:

Then the judicious placement of sound absorption in the room will solve this ....

Pillow over the head maybe.

regards Bruce

• Haha 1
On 01/09/2020 at 10:28 PM, gillmaverick said:

Well Guys ,

When I was in Cook Islands on my honeymoon, I was given the best advice ever. And that was there is only one important phrase for a married man - "Yes, dear."

That, and I'm listing to some music via YouTube on cans and it sounds OK (admittedly I'm working, so not paying too much attention). The music is probably better than the playback, but if the toes are tapping I can forgive the quality.

2 minutes ago, Cloth Ears said:

That, and I'm listing to some music via YouTube on cans a

Be careful and don't fall over now!:smile:

• Haha 1

You can make it into a joint venture: Mrs R & I used to have playlist evenings.

We would both edit the playlist through the week (that way we both agree what should be played) and then that is our set list for the evening.

Sometimes we would theme it - eg. all the songs have to be named, or about, cats.

A lot of fun was had.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, steffanth said:

i got rid of the missus years ago . . . No WAF to consider . . . life is good

Yes. This works for me although it can be expensive I found.

Dog never complains.

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Hazzzy said:

Yes. This works for me although it can be expensive I found.

Dog never complains.

lol . .. i got rid of her before there was any kids property or money . . .i even waited till she broke up with her next partner and had a little one so she was on single parents support . . which meant she could initiate the devorce for a quarter of the price i could.  (i paid for it needless to say but it was only like $200)

All worked out rather well.

I wont have a pet as i would have to feed it and thats too much responsibility

On 02/09/2020 at 7:34 PM, gillmaverick said:

Yes Clive ,

On 02/09/2020 at 7:56 PM, evil c said:

You've just given me an idea, just need to hire a #digger ! 😉

Sounds good to me. 

Except for @Luc  I'd never hear the end of it, "ya listenin knucklehead , yer doin' it all wrong hear what I'm sayin blah blah"😬

@evil c NO! Don't bury the missus under the house, it's a hard secret to keep. (Woops 😳).

• Haha 1
Just now, t_mike said:

@evil c NO! Don't bury the missus under the house, it's a hard secret to keep. (Woops 😳).

Yeah ,nah - still too good a cook !

Am I allowed to say that in these "Cancel culture " times?? :ermm:

• Like 4
On 02/09/2020 at 4:14 PM, Bugs said:

I've found the best way to keep the peace is select a "theme" such as OZ rock , female singers, jazz or what ever, you get two songs and then it's her go, we call it "juke box jury" works a treat after a couple of drinks, but you must avoid bands that your partner hates, in my case that unfortunately includes Frank Zappa

I am not surprised, FZ was a raving misogynist! 

Edited by Soundscape