High Definition music - Streamer?

Advice on the best way to control my downloaded music.

Presently I have all my music on a portable hard drive  which I play through my computer which is connected to my hi fi but it only plays each song then I need to go back to the computer to select the next.

I haven't had experience with a streamer but think this may be the best way. 

Can you please advise me on this.

I suspect you are selecting one song at a time to play.  Please let us know what computer you are using, how it is connected to the hifi. We can then suggest a music player on your computer which will allow you to play music properly.

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Grove said:

Advice on the best way to control my downloaded music.

Presently I have all my music on a portable hard drive  which I play through my computer which is connected to my hi fi but it only plays each song then I need to go back to the computer to select the next.

I haven't had experience with a streamer but think this may be the best way. 

Can you please advise me on this.

What software are you using to play the music?

I personally use software called Roon and it manages your library( but it’s a more expensive investment).  There are much cheaper options such as Jriver etc.  I am not sure about the built in windows media player (I presume you are playing files from a windows 10 computer?)

• Thanks 1

I have FLAC files on an external USB drive.  On my (old) Macbook I use (an old version) Audirvana.

I only use a very basic method by loading up as many albums/tracks as wanted and pressing "play" once.  No further intervention required.

I'm not going to say you should do it - but here's an example for the streamer option.

I have a simple Bluesound Node2. I have  1TB SSD (I have qobuz, so I only keep unobtainium on the SSD). Selecting the external drive is just like selecting a streaming service using either the desktop or phone app.

Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 08.46.56.png

Edited by Guest

On 03/09/2020 at 10:53 PM, Grove said:

I have a Mac running the latest software. All my music is on a hard drive .
I run this to my amp through a Rega DAC 

What software are you using to play your music, 

I run a MacMini into my Dac and have Audirvana, although trialing Roon as I like its Tidal integration with local files so it's just one big library.

• 4 weeks later...

Found out some interesting stuff regarding the streamer

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TeraDak-Network-Music-Streamer-Raspberry-Pi-4B-4G-Roon-Volumio/184270901293?hash=item2ae766d02d:g:bJsAAOSw0V1etrIo

This is a all in one Streamer with LPS, TCXO clock circuit and many more .. can be compared to the high end streamer like Roon Nucleus+. It can run any Audiophile OS 

such as Volumio, Daphile, Roon too , that too for a fraction of price compared to the high end Streamers

Took this from the description

"TeraDak Hi-End low-noise linear regulated power supply

Upgraded 2x 0.1ppm TeraDak TCXO clock circuit

High quality R-core transformer

OCC silver plated inside wire

EMI filter for reducing AC power noise

Load protect circuit

High quality power regulation with Bubycon capacitors"

Edited by SAM2811

• 2 years later...

I actually have this streamer and from all my comparisons, is the biggest sleeper streamer there is.  Over time, I've compared it to the big boys (Lumin, Auralic, Azur 851N, CXN v2 and this blows them all away.  

I added the copper shielding between the Power Capacitors and the streamer unit and I also added the copper shielding between the power supply and the caps/streamer 

Oqw0I4T.jpeg

JwdCSva.jpeg

9d2oEgq.jpeg

NT4ez7Q.jpeg

WZYf1Qc.jpeg