What ortofon 2m stylus to get?

This is my set-up

Pro-Ject RPM 3 Carbon Turntable with Ortofon 2M Silver Cartridge

rega phono mm mk3

Yamaha RS202B (weakest link I think)

KEF Q350

I think the silver stylus is nearly gone as the cartridge is almost touching the vinyl, though I've only had it 8 months now.

I paid $550 for the turntable, the 2m blue stylus is nearly half that.

i had a Ortofon 2M Bronze on my Rega Planar 2 with a Moth arm, always sat very close to the record, now have an Ortofon Quintet Blue MC , the cartridge body sits way above the record, can see the cantilever clearly.

your picture of the cartridge on the record looks about the same as my Bronze used to be, never an issue, but looks so close

1599047675328419607984.jpg

Edited by wen

12 minutes ago, punkindrublic said:

yeh mine is a plastic one which you have to balance. This is what the tonearm is looking like without a record to rest on, is that looking normal?

IMG-0252.JPG

Might pay to invest in a digital one like I posted, they are more accurate than any analogue types like the old fashion see-aw types.

Can't tell anything from that pic, needs to be set at a force appropriate to manufacturers recommended range, I like to lean towards the higher end of those recommended ranges for a particular cart.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, blakey72 said:

I wouldn't go a 2M if you do buy another. I'd give this a try. I am running an OM10 (standard) on my Music Hall TT and it is amazing for the price, better than my 2M Blue in many ways. That one I linked would be better I'd imagine.

Damn.... a hyper elliptical cartridge for $180 that is crazy..... you  can't even find a stylus replacement on other model with that kind of money

Edited by mloutfie

1 minute ago, mloutfie said:

Damn.... a hyper elliptical cartridge for $180 that is crazy..... you  can't even find a stylus replacement on other model with that kind of money

Yeah I'm tempted to give one a try. Also considered a OM20 stylus but that is cheaper and probably better.

Very tempted to whack this onto a Concorde...

But I only just replaced my 2M Blue stylus. I had originally planned to replace my 2M Blue with a Stylus 20 on the Concorde however they weren't in stock locally and with lockdown 2.0 on the horizon I had to settle for what was in stock.

23 hours ago, wen said:

i had a Ortofon 2M Bronze on my Rega Planar 2 with a Moth arm, always sat very close to the record, now have an Ortofon Quintet Blue MC , the cartridge body sits way above the record, can see the cantilever clearly.

your picture of the cartridge on the record looks about the same as my Bronze used to be, never an issue, but looks so close

i agree, looks compatible to the 2M carts i have

also agree that those simple see-saw tracking force gauges are a low cost but valuable investment 

22 hours ago, blakey72 said:

I wouldn't go a 2M if you do buy another. I'd give this a try. I am running an OM10 (standard) on my Music Hall TT and it is amazing for the price, better than my 2M Blue in many ways. That one I linked would be better I'd imagine.

9 hours ago, mloutfie said:

https://www.decibelhifi.com.au/jico-hyper-elliptical-stylus-for-ortofon-om-cartri

$155 for just the stylus

then you can whack it on the 2M cart body...

(quickly, advert your eyes children!) 

20978248156_3c31e4beb8_o.jpg 

• Like 1

yep, its a thing. even before 2020 bizarro set in

i saw a thread comment a few years back, a quick google search brings up several points of reference on the idea, seems easy enough to do but I dare say for some/most of the 2M buyers its futurist appearance of the 2M that's most appealing, this hack does nothing for looks

9 hours ago, wasabijim said:

but I dare say for some/most of the 2M buyers its futurist appearance of the 2M that's most appealing, this hack does nothing for looks

I agree.  Maybe you could cut away the actual stylus from of the old stylus plastic shell and put the remainder back on the cartridge just to hide the ugly bits.

• Like 1

On 02/09/2020 at 10:02 PM, muon* said:

Might pay to invest in a digital one like I posted, they are more accurate than any analogue types like the old fashion see-aw types.

Can't tell anything from that pic, needs to be set at a force appropriate to manufacturers recommended range, I like to lean towards the higher end of those recommended ranges for a particular cart.

Nothing wrong with Analogue scales, just as accurate as junk 10 dollar digital. Mine is stainless, it is  Shure SFg2, great little scale which is always ready to use and you will never need it and find batteries are flat.

My 2c, I shoot FTR and I am the coach of the Australian team. My digital scales for reloading cost over 1k. 50 dollar digital scales are available but I would not use one are they are just not accurate enough, a 10 dollar digital is worse again. One old shooter wanted to test his analogue beam scale so he made up some loads and put them in test tubes for me to check on my 1k  digital scale. To my surprise his three load samples were seriously accurate proving there is nothing wrong with a beam scale. I use digital (very expensive digital) as I can measure repeatably very quickly. 

For stylus tracking force accuracy need only be 0.1 of a gram which even a cheap plastic beam scale will be and all decent ones will exceed and they never need batteries. My first 10 dollar digital scale died after a year and even a battery change did not help, my Shure is always ready to use.

Chris

On 03/09/2020 at 9:16 PM, wen said:

I have a Shure Stylus Pressure Guage that i have used for close to 40yrs, never had any issuse, always kept in original box

1599131583808647496561.jpg

15991317181281392442711.jpg

This is mine, early ones were magnetic new ones not, but like you say buy this and lasts forever. Mine lives under one of my turntables.

Chris