Hi  All

Are there any Project Primary E or Project Elemental users out there in Melbourne ?

I have ressurected my original Pioneer A400X and Epos 11 speakers to start a second system during the ‘lockdown’. Using a Vincent Pho-8 phono stage

The new turntable sits on an Ikea lack table, a Mission isoplat and addition 3mm EVA foam pads... the turntable is immune to foot traffic, i have a timber floor. The sound is very coherent and dynamic, and exceeded my expectation for a budget and well built tt.

Derek

5B909E0F-0ADB-4D01-97D8-E178A6309A5F.jpeg

5C6CD86E-5FCE-47F1-9E19-0D89C063D09E.jpeg

CB40C827-31AC-4BD8-AA4B-B193287825AB.jpeg

• Like 1

I bought a Pro-ject Essential II on a whim when it was on special.  Quite similar. I still have it, and it does  a good job when I use it.  I replaced the Ortofon cart with an AT3600L and even though it's a cheaper cart, I think it's an improvement.

• Like 1

That’s good to know. Your Essential has a more sophisticated tonearm than my Primary, you can adjust antiskate but i cannot, so I think i’m stuck with OM family but dont mind it.

Did you upgrade to the acrylic platter by any chance?

9 hours ago, Mono Stereo said:

That’s good to know. Your Essential has a more sophisticated tonearm than my Primary, you can adjust antiskate but i cannot, so I think i’m stuck with OM family but dont mind it.

Did you upgrade to the acrylic platter by any chance?

Not sure you can't put different carts on it.  IMO antiskate in simple arms is not so critical.  I have arms with no anti-skate.

I looked at the acrylic platters.  I decided to just change the mat to a cork/neoprene one.

• 2 months later...

@aussievintage - I have just received my AT3600L in the mail . Previously i had been using the Audio Technica VM95c and  VM95e elliptical stylus on my Rega RB202 arm mounted outboard to play with the Project.

Although I was very happy with the VM95C sound, when I used the 'upgraded' elliptical, things got a bit 'etched' and I lost the bass side of the tonal balance, sounding much like a CD.

Today I hooked up the AT3600L and noticed, off the bat it has a very extended treble,  especially for a Conical, but still with good bass. Now that it has played more than 2-3 hours, I am really enjoying it more than the famed VM95e. And the A$21 price for the AT3600L is impossible to beat - actually I bought two, one to give to a friend. Thanks for your recommendation. I have also followed your thread on the eliptical stylus upgrades.

Derek

23 minutes ago, Mono Stereo said:

Today I hooked up the AT3600L and noticed, off the bat it has a very extended treble,  especially for a Conical, but still with good bass. Now that it has played more than 2-3 hours, I am really enjoying it more than the famed VM95e. And the A$21 price for the AT3600L is impossible to beat - actually I bought two, one to give to a friend. Thanks for your recommendation. I have also followed your thread on the eliptical stylus upgrades.

Many have commented on how this little cart sounds so much better than it should.     Glad you found you liked it.

• Thanks 1