Floorstanders

Hi Guys,

I am looking to have some feedback on below  speakers based on your listening experience. Any info will be much helpful.

Setup : Stereo for digital music using DAC

Genre: Country, classical,R&B, Pop and Rock, Vocals ,Jazz

Integrated amplifier : Luxman 590AX

What will be your preference from the below speakers....

PMC 25.26i RRP 16.5k

Monitor Audio Gold 300 RRP 9k

Dynaudio contour60i RRP 18K

SONUS FABER Olympica Nova  RRP 16k

B&W 804 D3 RRP 14k

Edited by Robert_001
Change

I’ve auditioned most of the above mentioned speakers.  All have vastly differing personalities and sound 

My recommendation is to go out and audition them.  Everyone has their own likes and dislikes.  One thing I’ve learnt over the years is that someone’s taste is not your taste. 

And if your spending  quite a bit on speakers, which are the most important part of your system, then Don’t buy blind. 

Good luck with your search 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Quark said:

Agree, go out and audition. Having said that, while your Luxman is a nice amp, I doubt it will be grunty enough to get the best out of the Dynaudio and B&W you're considering.

Yeah I have owned this Luxman amp and agree it may not be suitable for some of the speakers above.

@Robert_001 I see that one of the commercial sellers here has the PMC 25.26 for sale currently.  Just noting this is on you list and is well below RRP.   I think Douglas also sell Luxman so would be able to discuss the matchability (lol new word).

but nothing beats your own ears when listening/testing speakers.  Great specs on paper don’t always translate to the sound you want.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Robert, the B&W 804 D3's are current RRP 12.9k at West Coast Hifi (1 k less than you thought:-).

I would absolutely agree with above responses.. nothing going to be telling you what you like better than your own ears...

I am currently also looking around for a set of speakers (and pre-amp / amp) although possibly looking at budget just one little step lower than yours (for example the B&W 702S2 - maybe even signature) might be one of the ones I want to have a good listen to.

The biggest drawback I find, and not sure if that is because we're in Perth (?) is that you need to visit different shops to listen to the various brands. Just making a A-B 'audition' pretty hard ... 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Robert_001 said:

@perthpete I am further 400 km away from Perth. I need to short best among the best , before audition.

Djeez... yeah guessing not too many local dealers then.. (Albany??). So sounds like you have to plan a trip (long one or a couple shot ones) to the big smoke ... And even if having a shortlist it also still possible you walk into a sop and hear a brand you weren't even aware of... for example: Triton/Golden Ear .. 

• Like 1

If you havnt already seen there is a tagged speaker shortlist in the speaker forum.

You should add to the list Yamaha NS5000 $20k at West Coast hifi Malaga which does all your music genre well.

Others though no places to audition include ATC40, VAF I-66 or 93, Martin Logan Ethos and higher models (Douglas Hifi may have them).

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Robert_001 said:

@perthpete I am further 400 km away from Perth. I need to short best among the best , before audition.

Ok. Now understand your ask for input.  

Hulgitch Audio also worth a look.  Not sure on WA representation though.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Robert_001 said:

@perthpete I am further 400 km away . I need to short best among the best , before audition.

when spending this sort of cash on speakers... its worth heading over for a stay over... do a bit of demoing enjoy the time over and go back happy that have explored options and gone home with best combo to your ears... just bring your amp with you to be sure hearing as close to combo will back home...

As per Bill's note above, I have not heard every one of those speakers specifically let alone with the luxman mentioned to comment. but they are in brand character really quite different. 

eg the dyn and sonus are really quite different than the others. some pmc B&W and monitor audio are little more similar but still with enough difference in brand sound let alone between models that really need to hear self to decide i would suggest :) 

make the best of the trip over... part of joy of this stuff is in the exploring. I kid you not ... been more than once where have gone listening to something thats a bit of a forum favourite (ie popular choice for many) but turned out not for me in listening.... could be just equipment combo...kind of music i listen to or even just my own tastes :D the listening on more than one occasion has also uncovered something i never thought of demoing and actually what i have gone home with...so well worth the effort ....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Al.M said:

Others though no places to audition include ATC40

Great suggestion because @JDWest (Sublime HiFi, Perth) actually has both passive and active ATC 40's available for demo.

15 hours ago, Quark said:

Agree, go out and audition. Having said that, while your Luxman is a nice amp, I doubt it will be grunty enough to get the best out of the Dynaudio and B&W you're considering.

Thanks, what will be best match integrated amplifier for Dyn and B&W please?

6 hours ago, Robert_001 said:

I'd suggest an amp with:

> 100W/channel

Stable down to 3 Ohm or lower

High damping factor >500

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

On 31/08/2020 at 1:40 AM, MOOV said:

On 31/08/2020 at 8:26 AM, Quark said:

I'd suggest an amp with:

> 100W/channel

Stable down to 3 Ohm or lower

High damping factor >500

+1 to that. Both Dyns and B&Ws are quite power hungry and difficult loads to drive. So a high power amplifier with ability to drive alteast to 2 ohm is a must. This is especially true for higher end models from both stables. Check the specifications of amplifiers for power to 8, 4 & 2 ohm. If the power almost doubles from 8 to 4 ohm and from 4 to 2 ohm, then it has good current delivery and will probably suit these speakers