Thorens, Garrard, Denon, Luxman, Micro Seiki, Commonwealth, Sony, Turntable advice

I would appreciate some turntable advice from members who own or have owned some of these vintage turntables.

I am contemplating a turntable for a second system that is sub $3000 without tonearm. In this second system, I am currently using a Luxman PD370. I am currently considering alternative turntables for this system.

For context:

My main current TT in another room is a fully tricked out thread drive Micro Seiki RX5000 with FR66s, Fr64s, Dynavctor DV507mk11 and SME3009 Mk11 tonearms on a Vibraplane weighing all of 142Kgs. The DV and SME tonearms have not been mounted yet. I need to get my #@r53 in gear..

I am looking for a simple easy to use, great sounding, one arm solution for my second system in another room.

I like PRaT and consider Luxmans to have better PRaT to my taste  than say a suspended Thorens. 

So I guess I like dynamic systems. I do have three sets of high efficiency horn speakers.

I have not tried Denons or Sony’s. Have played Technic decks as a deejay for many years in a previous life so not considering SP10’s.

Love the look of a Garrard 301 on a nice plinth with a nice 12 inch tonearm ala Schick or Ortofon RMG but keep wondering why there are so many Garrards for sale if they sound half decent. What are the pros and cons of the Garrards? Oil bearing vs grease? 

Some TT’s  under consideration are the Luxman PD310, 350 and 441. Garrard 301, Commonwealth 16 so would appreciate user experiences from owners of these and any others that I may not be aware of?

Thanks

Hey Tax, if you like prat then an idler drive is a good solution.   I was going to renovate a Lenco L75 with new bearing,  platter, plinth, electronic speed controller etc.  Have got just about all the bits here but doubt I'll ever get around to it.  

18 minutes ago, acg said:

Hey Tax, if you like prat then an idler drive is a good solution.   I was going to renovate a Lenco L75 with new bearing,  platter, plinth, electronic speed controller etc.  Have got just about all the bits here but doubt I'll ever get around to it.  

Mate, that is interesting. Have seen snippets of the Lenco Heaven enthusiasts but have never dwelled deep into Lenco land. One regret is not getting my hands on a Commonwealth 16 about 4 years ago. The owner said he was missing the idler wheel and would sell it to me once complete so I helped him buy one from Russia but unfortunately he passed away and his sister just got rid of all his gear.

Are you looking to sell these pieces?

Edited by Tax

6 minutes ago, Telecine said:

Both a Garrard 401 and Linn Sondek LP12 would be worthy of consideration.

Thanks! Yes  I read good things about the 401 but the squarishness doesn't grab me ?

Edited by Tax

8 minutes ago, Tax said:

Mate, that is interesting. Have seen snippets of the Lenco Heaven enthusiasts but have never dwelled deep into Lenco land. One regret is not getting my hands on a Commonwealth 16 about 4 years ago. The owner said he was missing the idler wheel and would sell it to me once complete so I helped him buy one from Russia but unfortunately he passed away and his sister just got rid of all his gear.

Are you looking to sell these pieces?

Yeah.   Have been procrastinating selling them cause they are up in the attic.   Have two L75's... one still with her original styrofoam packaging.   Mate,  just give me a call tomorrow if you would like.

• Like 1

My personal preference is idler drive 

Garrard 301 or 401 although I prefer the 401 as a better TT 
Thorens 124 idler 

But you can also add to your radar the EMT brand of TT s 

A little more expensive but worth the money on the right model 

And I’m pretty sure ? they all came with a 12” arm 

Edited by Full Range
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Full Range said:

My personal preference is idler drive 

Garrard 301 or 401 although I prefer the 401 as a better TT 
Thorens 124 idler 

But you can also add to your radar the EMT brand of TT s 

A little more expensive but worth the money on the right model 

And I’m pretty sure ? they all came with a 12” arm 

FR,

Which EMT model?

I must profess that I am not looking for an all out assault at the top end. 

What I am looking for is sort of in the under $5k arm and deck combo otherwise we are getting into a whole different ball game which negates my primary purpose of set and play in this second system.

7 minutes ago, Tax said:

FR,

Which EMT model?

I must profess that I am not looking for an all out assault at the top end. 

What I am looking for is sort of in the under $5k arm and deck combo otherwise we are getting into a whole different ball game which negates my primary purpose of set and play in this second system.

Not top end

If that is the case look at the EMT 928 

• Like 1

I've got a Commonwealth 12D, and it is superb.  It does need to be in a solid plinth.  They were built like a tank for 24/7 use in radio stations.  Easy to maintain.  Highly recommended.  Their contemporary Australian Byer idlers are also of a similar calibre (and their last model, marketed as a Rola).  No need to get a 16" platter (nothing against them, except you need to have a long arm with them), the 12" platters don't compromise. 

Garrard 301's can deliver top-level performance.  But with all these turntables the plinth can either make them reach incredible performance or average performance.  Lenco's can be excellent, but I believe need a lot of mod's and tweaks to display their potential (in a good plinth). 

What what I've read, the Garrard 401 addressed some limitations of the 301 but introduced some new limitations.  Ultimately, they are both great turntables (when in good plinths).  I've never warmed to the 401's styling, and the 301 always looks cool to me.  But I like the looks of anything in a hammertone paint finish (noting that the cream 301's still look good)! 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Full Range said:

I have seen different EMT models in action in Australia 

Sometimes they come up for sale 

However they mostly come from Europe - with some great craftsmen restoring and selling them 

Like this fellow - https://www.jpvanvliet.nl/26536.html

Thanks!

I might go there (when we can travel again)  as that is near my in laws place in NL

Edited by Tax
  • Like 2

Love my Lenco, my Commonwealth 12d2 is better though IMO better than a Garrard by quiet a margin.

That said My sl1200G is spinning now and when it is not it is normally my sl1210mk2. My sp10mk2 sounds nice with its Eminent Technology air arm, but G is Better.

You will get what feels good to you, there is no right answer, but if it is all about sound you cant go past the GR or G.

Chris

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tax said:

I would appreciate some turntable advice from members who own or have owned some of these vintage turntables.

I am contemplating a turntable for a second system that is sub $3000 without tonearm. In this second system, I am currently using a Luxman PD370. I am currently considering alternative turntables for this system.

For context:

My main current TT in another room is a fully tricked out thread drive Micro Seiki RX5000 with FR66s, Fr64s, Dynavctor DV507mk11 and SME3009 Mk11 tonearms on a Vibraplane weighing all of 142Kgs. The DV and SME tonearms have not been mounted yet. I need to get my #@r53 in gear..

I am looking for a simple easy to use, great sounding, one arm solution for my second system in another room.

I like PRaT and consider Luxmans to have better PRaT to my taste  than say a suspended Thorens. 

So I guess I like dynamic systems. I do have three sets of high efficiency horn speakers.

I have not tried Denons or Sony’s. Have played Technic decks as a deejay for many years in a previous life so not considering SP10’s.

Love the look of a Garrard 301 on a nice plinth with a nice 12 inch tonearm ala Schick or Ortofon RMG but keep wondering why there are so many Garrards for sale if they sound half decent. What are the pros and cons of the Garrards? Oil bearing vs grease? 

Some TT’s  under consideration are the Luxman PD310, 350 and 441. Garrard 301, Commonwealth 16 so would appreciate user experiences from owners of these and any others that I may not be aware of?

Thanks

Having seen and heard Greg’s @Doppelgangertricked up 401 it is fantastic. I have fancied the 301 but could easily go the 401 if a good deal came up. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tax said:

Me like!

Have you come across any in this big island of ours? Thanks 

EMT 927 is the one to get but their prices are astronomical these days.  Massive platter.  Otherwise EMT 930 smaller version of 927 with 929 arm.  Both were broadcast turntables, previously came with EMT phono stages inc curve adjustments,  the 927 came with 997 arm and before that Ortofon arm.  2 of the best idler drives made.

EMT also made direct drives inlayer years.  They are good but not in the same league.

• Like 1

On 29/08/2020 at 11:13 PM, Tax said:

Thanks!

I might go there (when we can travel again)  as that is near my in laws place in NL

The EMT 928 can be described as a Lexus version of the Thorens 125 

Locals can probably pick them up from the local classifieds - so the in-laws can keep an eye out for an EMT for you 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Full Range said:

The EMT 928 can be described as a Lexus version of the Thorens 125 

Locals can probably pick them up from the local classifieds - so the in-laws can keep an eye out for an EMT for you 

Thanks!

The 927 is a big beast so would not work well with the minamalist look in this second system.

The 928 looks more domestic lounge friendly.  I have asked a mate in NL to investigate.

Edited by Tax
  • Like 1