WTB: Sensitive speaker- maybe dual concentric Tannoy

Guest The Fresh Prince

Guest The Fresh Prince

Item: Sensitive speaker 
Price Range: buy or trade
Item Condition: New or Used
Extra Info:

Always been keen to try a sensitive speaker,  especially a dual concentric Tannoy. I was considering a local pair of Westminsters, but being realistic, there is no way they will go into my room ( unless I sit in them).

Smaller Heritage Tannoy could work well. Not interested in the newer designs (DC series).

Other options are Audio Note, Devore, or similar

local seller preferred 

Please don't forget to report your post as FOUND when possible. (You can now delete this text).

Edited by The Fresh Prince

Personally I would go for Zu Audio speakers.Much more narrow speaker & very efficient.

My friend & SNA member (cam in Perth will help you) ?

Edited by Conrad1970

On 29/08/2020 at 12:36 PM, Conrad1970 said:

Personally I would go for Zu Audio speakers.Much more narrow speaker & very efficient.

My friend & SNA member (cam in Perth will help you) ?

I think what @Conrad1970 means is that I've got a little bit of experience with the Zu products. Feel free to drop me a PM if you want to discuss. ?

Cheers,

Cam

21 minutes ago, caminperth said:

I think what @Conrad1970 means is that I've got a little bit of experience with the Zu products. Feel free to drop me a PM if you want to discuss. ?

Cheers,

Cam

That's right 

On 29/08/2020 at 11:56 AM, The Fresh Prince said:

Item: Sensitive speaker 
Price Range: buy or trade
Item Condition: New or Used
Extra Info:

Always been keen to try a sensitive speaker,  especially a dual concentric Tannoy. I was considering a local pair of Westminsters, but being realistic, there is no way they will go into my room ( unless I sit in them).

Smaller Heritage Tannoy could work well. Not interested in the newer designs (DC series).

Other options are Audio Note, Devore, or similar

local seller preferred 

Please don't forget to report your post as FOUND when possible. (You can now delete this text).

A couple of pairs of Tannoy Aderns (mk1 and mk2) just came up on Gumtree in St Albans in Melbourne. I don’t know if they’re well-priced or not but there might be someone local who can check them out for you, lockdown permitting

Guest The Fresh Prince
Just now, RankStranger said:

A couple of pairs of Tannoy Aderns (mk1 and mk2) just came up on Gumtree in St Albans in Melbourne. I don’t know if they’re well-priced or not but there might be someone local who can check them out for you, lockdown permitting

Thanks.

I’ll take a look

3 hours ago, RankStranger said:

That's definitely around ballpark for a good set these days and again represents good value when you think what the new equivalent price tannoys are worth , although i think the prices should be the other way around as the hpd385 in the mark 1 arden are the more desirable driver due to the alnico magnet length being perfect for the compression horn integration where the mk2 uses the ferrite 3828 and has a time compensated crossover to make up for the shorter horn in the shallow magnet , the later never quite integrated as well as the hpd , now any tannoy in the range new with the alnico /pepperpot waveguide starts at around 20k for the Kensington and 40k if you want the 15" canturbry......even the new ardens use the dual magnet tulip waveguide,  which i still like allot but im just pointing out how good value hpd385's are ......so of the two i think 4k for the mk1 ardens is a great buy , just make sure suspensions have been done correctly and i like to check the waveguide drillings in these models to make sure they didn't let the drunkest scotsman take care ofthe drillings on the day of production 

Alex

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, lebowski said:

another option is WLM Diva, these are dual concentric and high efficiency. A ‘Tannoy on steroids’

Another speaker I agree on.I have had Tannoys reds & golds & none have satisfied me.I have even listened to the Westminister but they are bit fatiguing in the end. 

Definitely recommend WLM or Altec 604g or Zu Audio 

Guest The Fresh Prince
5 hours ago, Lx4man said:

That's definitely around ballpark for a good set these days and again represents good value when you think what the new equivalent price tannoys are worth , although i think the prices should be the other way around as the hpd385 in the mark 1 arden are the more desirable driver due to the alnico magnet length being perfect for the compression horn integration where the mk2 uses the ferrite 3828 and has a time compensated crossover to make up for the shorter horn in the shallow magnet , the later never quite integrated as well as the hpd , now any tannoy in the range new with the alnico /pepperpot waveguide starts at around 20k for the Kensington and 40k if you want the 15" canturbry......even the new ardens use the dual magnet tulip waveguide,  which i still like allot but im just pointing out how good value hpd385's are ......so of the two i think 4k for the mk1 ardens is a great buy , just make sure suspensions have been done correctly and i like to check the waveguide drillings in these models to make sure they didn't let the drunkest scotsman take care ofthe drillings on the day of production 

Alex

Judging by your signature, you know what you are talking about!

4 hours ago, The Fresh Prince said:

Completely forgot about WLM.

Seem to have disappeared off the radar, somewhat

I was in Miranda Hifi in Canberra a few weeks ago and they had some WLM Diva’s as a trade in that they will take an offer on.  Might still be there. 

• Like 1

Guest The Fresh Prince
6 hours ago, Bell Ringer said:

I was in Miranda Hifi in Canberra a few weeks ago and they had some WLM Diva’s as a trade in that they will take an offer on.  Might still be there. 

Thanks.

Don't seem to be on the website. I might call.