TIDAL Discussion Thread

I have lodged a ticket today.  Streaming Tidal has been continuously slow with buffering and skipping for at least 72 hours now.  I’m with iiNet on a 100/50 NBN plan.  Plenty of bandwidth.  The issue affects my iPad app (wifi) and my hard-wired Roon server.  Hopefully they fix it soon!

8A02E484-482A-4DFA-B1F5-C0241D71CC82.png

3 minutes ago, Stereophilus said:

I have lodged a ticket today.  Streaming Tidal has been continuously slow with buffering and skipping for at least 72 hours now.  I’m with iiNet on a 100/50 NBN plan.  Plenty of bandwidth.  The issue affects my iPad app (wifi) and my hard-wired Roon server.  Hopefully they fix it soon!

8A02E484-482A-4DFA-B1F5-C0241D71CC82.png

well that map appears a little redder and more intense in SE Oz than the earlier one so let's hope it is not showing Covid taking off! 

<relax I'm joking!>

1 minute ago, kajensen said:

I've had issues all weekend with buffering.....

at least you know you are not suffering alone.

I am enjoying Radio Paradise jumping between the different mixes a bit (currently on the World/Etc eclectic mix) while waiting for normal Tidal service to resume.  So getting to hear some new and different music - so not all bad despite the earlier frustration.

1 hour ago, vgcr said:

at least you know you are not suffering alone.

I am enjoying Radio Paradise jumping between the different mixes a bit (currently on the World/Etc eclectic mix) while waiting for normal Tidal service to resume.  So getting to hear some new and different music - so not all bad despite the earlier frustration.

Ahh radio paradise! A hidden gem on the net. 

Just wish Roon would also display the name of the song and artist playing currently or what is coming next, similar to what you get with the radio paradise app. 

20 minutes ago, Munce31 said:

Ahh radio paradise! A hidden gem on the net. 

Just wish Roon would also display the name of the song and artist playing currently or what is coming next, similar to what you get with the radio paradise app. 

ok I was listening to RP via Bluesound which shows the song and artist and shows the album cover.  If don't like a song you can just skip to the next one although I don't think it shows what is up next.  It says "CD" so I believe it is the flac lossless stream.

BTW Tidal seems to be fixed now for me although I hesitate to say that in case I jinx it!

Been streaming tidal via Nad C658 BluOS for over 5 months no problems, in the past 3-4 days nothing but rubbish.

Spotify streaming to the same device fine, just now started streaming Tidal via iPhone and airplay to the C658 and no problems.

For me atleast it seems isolated to Tidal on BluOS.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Been streaming tidal via Nad C658 BluOS for over 5 months no problems, in the past 3-4 days nothing but rubbish.

Spotify streaming to the same device fine, just now started streaming Tidal via iPhone and airplay to the C658 and no problems.

For me atleast it seems isolated to Tidal on BluOS.

Same here, but tonight it was ok

• Administrator

Same issues with TIDAL here. I've been trialling Qobuz for the past 2 months, and I'm now about to cancel my TIDAL subscription.

16 hours ago, Hydrology said:

Dont get me wrong, it is excellent. But Qobuz exceeds it in my opinion,hence why I am prepared to pay the premium for Qobuz and not for Tidal. And not just from my own system, those differences where shared with others on their systems too.

I totally agree with Hydrology. For me I sensed a slight preference towards Qobuz over TIDAL as far as sound quality. The reliability and stability issues tips me over the line towards Qobuz now.

16 hours ago, musicbee said:

Do any StereoNET users subscribe to a family Qobuz account with multiple people in different households. I am considering the family edition, but need to understand if its IP/location checked? Its a bit pricey, so considering options to reduce outlay!

Using a VPN I can easily sign up for an account and try I guess. Just wondering if any users are doing this? 

Be aware that getting Qobuz in Australia can be very difficult, if not impossible (without a US credit card, Paypal will not do).

• Administrator

If Spotify does indeed offer high-res or at least, 'full-res', I will ditch Qobuz and TIDAL in a heart beat. The market share and level of native integration in other equipment is unrivalled. Even many cars have native Spotify integration now.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Marc said:

If Spotify does indeed offer high-res or at least, 'full-res', I will ditch Qobuz and TIDAL in a heart beat. The market share and level of native integration in other equipment is unrivalled. Even many cars have native Spotify integration now.

I suspect this won’t come in our lifetime. Lol 

They already have the lions market share. It only complicates things. Bandwidth, catalogue etc. 

28 minutes ago, ray4410 said:

best fix for the tidal disaster
SPOTIFY

Ooh yeah that cutting edge 320kbs. It's fine for the car or the train, it's not for listening at home.

Spotify have been very, very clear that they will not be offering a lossless option. They described it as something their users weren't interested in.

Has anybody tried complaining to Roon? Something along the lines of hey, I'm paying you and Tidal money and can't use the only streaming service you offer to Australia. Surely they have ways of raising concerns at Tidal concerning servers in Oz?

20 minutes ago, Mr_Gimlet said:

Ooh yeah that cutting edge 320kbs. It's fine for the car or the train, it's not for listening at home.

Spotify have been very, very clear that they will not be offering a lossless option. They described it as something their users weren't interested in.

i have had tidal premium,most of the time couldn't tell the difference swapping between tidal and spotify,i stream through a gieseler dac and spotify sounds pretty darn good to me it also is a lot more user friendly than tidal,anyway that is my opinion ,don't want to start a war against tidal vs spotify,over and out.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mr_Gimlet said:

320kbs is good enough for me. Even young trained music producers can't reliably tell the difference between lossless and 320kbs, what chance have I got at 49? I'd drop Tidal in a heartbeat if not for Roon giving me no other options. If Tidal sounds better to you I suspect it is not the file format making the difference.

• Administrator
32 minutes ago, musicbee said:

I suspect this won’t come in our lifetime. Lol 

They already have the lions market share. It only complicates things. Bandwidth, catalogue etc. 

I don't think it is impossible. The Hi-Fi plan has been trialled, premium pricing was rumoured.

Fingers crossed. I remain hopeful.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Marc said:

I don't think it is impossible. The Hi-Fi plan has been trialled, premium pricing was rumoured.

Fingers crossed. I remain hopeful.

Three years ago they did the trial. That's a long time, and nothing has happened since.

“A high-quality option is not something that’s been a big differentiator among services. It’s really about the user interface, algorithms, playlists and discoverability. In terms of what consumers are looking for, it’s not something that has really resonated.”

• Administrator

I get that mate.

Thoughts, opinions, and decisions constantly change.

The mainstream market is being exposed to "high-res" more and more now.

There's no reason to think Spotify won't change their mind on this, as the market changes.

As I said, I remain hopeful. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr_Gimlet said:

Possibly. I mainly use Roon so I have no choice anyway.

Same. I have no other option in my main system, but do use Spotify a fair bit in my office or outside via a Sonos amp.