Gale 401A crossover rebuild

I have been meaning to get round to servicing my Gales for a number of years now but as anyone who has ever taken a pair to bits knows it is a bit of a bugger of a job.

Been doing a few crossover upgrades for friends and t he sucess of those has spurred me on to do my own speakers, particularly as this pair have never sounded as good as the original ones I had back in the UK.

I knew that the current pair had been reworked before bit was kinda surprised at what greeted me when I finally got to the crossover. I say surprised because this pair always sounded pretty good, but the crossover had what looked like some very cheap parts in it and they were not even the correct values. Only completed the first crossover so no idea on how these will sound yet.

Here are the pics of before and after:

IMG_20200824_114314.jpg

IMG_20200825_152314.jpg

Edited by Ozcall
  • Like 5

401a's were the speakers i wanted back in the 70's - couldn't afford them!

Will be interested to see how your rebuild goes.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dcathro said:

401a's were the speakers i wanted back in the 70's - couldn't afford them!

Will be interested to see how your rebuild goes.

I got my first pair back in the early 80's and they were awesome with a decent amp. Got thid pair about 10 yrs ago and while never as good as the first pair I still enjoyed listening to music on them.Let's hope all goes to plan.

• Like 2
  • 5 weeks later...

As I began reassembling the first speaker my hand brushed against the surround of one of the midranges and it disintegrated. Finally found the correct replacement surrounds from a comapny in Holland and they are on their way. Fortunately the bass unit surrounds had been replaced  already and appear to be fine.

I am using a Rotel Michi RHB10 that I recapped a few years back. Left the main caps stock but replaced the Blackgates on the amp pcb's with Elna Silmic 2 and a polypropylene 4.7uf replacing the 4.7uf input electrolytic.

The website suggests they won't ship to Australia.

However, I contacted them and they were happy to do so.  I just had to select USA at checkout and then explain in the comments that I was located downunder.  I sent an email asking them to confirm that they had changed the shipping details accordingly and they did this promptly.

Apparently they have had some grief trying to ship kits that contained glue to Australia in the past.  So they will ship speaker surrounds but not glue.

Anyway, the package arrived without drama.:thumb: