What are the current suggestions on tube/valve headphone amps?

It's not a hard and fast rule, and if you want tubes generally you want some tube flavour. These cheap hybrids don't give much of that. Anyway, both good options for the price. As is say a used Asgard 3. Power for days and a nice hint of warmth

Edited by Bengineer

On 27/08/2020 at 6:42 PM, markm1111 said:

I'm thinking about adding a tube/valve headphone amp to my desktop system. Its been over 10 years since I last had a tube headphone amp, a Decware CSP 2+, so I assume there are far more alternatives and new faves now. I like my existing solid state, so the tube amp is to play with the harmonics. Something that can roll with reasonably priced tubes, nothing too esoteric.

Currently use a Questyle CMA400i with a M-Scaler/Innuos source. My phones are Focal Clear open and MrSpeakers Aeon Flow closed. It would be good if it also had pre amp functionality. The plan is to eventually have some active speakers on the desk, hopefully with both balanced and single ended input, then have the ability to use either the Questyle or the tube amp as pre.

Budget is open, to an extent. Will be looking for second hand. Budget is always stretched by desire, but keeping it sensible. Would probably top out at $2k, but would much rather have it south of $1k. So, what suggestions do you have? And what are the pros and cons? Thanks in advance.

p.s. I did try searching on SNA and couldn't find  similar thread. I also entered into the Headfi maelstrom and just found it too hard to search.....

hey Mark,  i have a spare Ming Da headphone tube amp if you want to try it out.  I havent used it for over 6 years as i went for the Slee SS one.

Purchased it when they were the rage and was going to upgrade tubes, but never got around to it.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 29/08/2020 at 2:22 PM, Munce31 said:

I’d love to add the Cayin HA-A6 tube amp to my system one day. Couple it with an xlr a/b switcher, I can enjoy both my Phonitor and tube amp. 

@Munce31

It's the VU meters right? So nice, I like ?

Edited by Tarzan
tagged Munce31 on his qoute