What are the current suggestions on tube/valve headphone amps?

8 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

McChanson Micro might suit. Very clean tube sound. Can add pre-outs. SET amp will drive any headphone really.

7 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Maybe a hybrid.

I had always dismissed the McChanson because it was through eBay, but without having ever done any research, Are they good? Price seems about right. I am unfamiliar with the hybrid amps, where should I look to get a better idea of what they are about? Give me more things to procrastinate about today....

4 minutes ago, markm1111 said:

I had always dismissed the McChanson because it was through eBay, but without having ever done any research, Are they good? Price seems about right. I am unfamiliar with the hybrid amps, where should I look to get a better idea of what they are about? Give me more things to procrastinate about today....

He markets on eBay. I bought mine direct from him, he has a email. Just email him, say what you want, he will build to suit. Good for the price yeah. And local Sydney guy.

Hybrid is basically a solid state amp with a tube buffer in it. So gives some tube flavour. Run any headphone. Easy to tube roll.

The LYR 3 from Schiit is another. Compact and only one common tube, so super easy to roll. Buy direct from Schiit though, A2A Schiit prices 20% more.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Munce31 said:

I’d love to add the Cayin HA-A6 tube amp to my system one day. Couple it with an xlr a/b switcher, I can enjoy both my Phonitor and tube amp. 

That looks like a hell of an amp, but I think would stretch the budget too far. Also, no pre out. However, the Cayin HA-1A MK2 has come up a few times and looks like it could be a contender. Any thoughts on this amp anyone?

@markm1111 would you consider building the amp yourself? I.e. do you have basic soldering ability? The Bottlehead gear is insane value for money if you don't mind building yourself - plus you get to enjoy the pride and connection you get from making your own amp. The S.E.X. and Mainline would both suit the headphones you have - the Crack not so much due to high output impedance. It may be OK, but it's less predictable in terms of how your cans will react to the high output impedance and therefore how their signature might change.

6 minutes ago, PassionForSound said:

@markm1111 would you consider building the amp yourself? I.e. do you have basic soldering ability? The Bottlehead gear is insane value for money if you don't mind building yourself - plus you get to enjoy the pride and connection you get from making your own amp. The S.E.X. and Mainline would both suit the headphones you have - the Crack not so much due to high output impedance. It may be OK, but it's less predictable in terms of how your cans will react to the high output impedance and therefore how their signature might change.

Its a good idea, I have dabbled with electronics and soldering many years ago, but I would approach this with some trepidation. Something to consider, I'll do some reading

3 hours ago, markm1111 said:

Its a good idea, I have dabbled with electronics and soldering many years ago, but I would approach this with some trepidation. Something to consider, I'll do some reading

If you've dabbled a bit you should be fine. I found the Mainline actually easier than the S.E.X. and the sound quality is nuts for the price!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, markm1111 said:

@mwhouston could put you out of the misery if need be, I understand he has done a few of the bottle head for some folk. might just be abel to do exactly what you want.

that said as someone else suggested, id urge to just go a headphone amp and thats all it is.... ie something that just works off some fixed outs on an amp. (eg tape out) as that ways can use it with anything. will keep cost down as well, not trying to be a pre amp and all that. can then focus on a pre that suits separately if need be. there are gorgeous pre amps that are not headphone amps and gorgeous headphone amps that are not pre amps :D 

• Like 3

Without reading all the posts I can say that the Bottlehead, very most basic, with all its clear instructions, is still a challenge. I have built about four or five for others and two for myself. I’ve built from the most basic to the top of the range. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, mwhouston said:

Without reading all the posts I can say that the Bottlehead, very most basic, with all its clear instructions, is still a challenge. I have built about four or five for others and two for myself. I’ve built from the most basic to the top of the range. 

How much to get you to build a Mainline? Just the electronics, woodwork by others 

• Like 1

On 29/08/2020 at 2:37 PM, markm1111 said:

That looks like a hell of an amp, but I think would stretch the budget too far. Also, no pre out. However, the Cayin HA-1A MK2 has come up a few times and looks like it could be a contender. Any thoughts on this amp anyone?

I have this amp currently. You may recall that I recommended the Questyle too ;)

Unfortunately, I don't have the Aeons anymore to flesh out a recommendation

It ticks the boxes, but no balanced input or balanced pre-out.

the sound is very good with my planars, and with high impedance cans.

Happy to answer further questions in PM

• Like 1

I've been using a Linear Tube Audio Microzotl M2 with the Mr Speakers Aeon Flow closed and it is very good. Might suit the interest in OTL design too. I've seen a couple come up for sale here, at very good prices for what you get. (I used mine as a preamp in to a MC275 very successfully and they can also be used as a competent 1 watt speaker amp).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Godot said:

I've been using a Linear Tube Audio Microzotl M2 with the Mr Speakers Aeon Flow closed and it is very good. Might suit the interest in OTL design too. I've seen a couple come up for sale here, at very good prices for what you get. (I used mine as a preamp in to a MC275 very successfully and they can also be used as a competent 1 watt speaker amp).

@Godot, thanks very much. A quick check with The Google and this is very interesting indeed. I'm thinking a local LPSU might up the ante a little as well. Now, let me research the second hand pricing....

Edited by markm1111

No problems, they can come with or without their proprietary LPSU, I use mine with. The M2 was their 2nd gen, they have a 3rd as well but both are still sold as current models. I’d love to try more of their products, too many amps, too little time. As a company they are passionate about what they do and are very service oriented. I bought mine new, one tube was overly microphonic, they sent another set with no quibbles. I don’t have any affiliation with them, just like it a lot! Happy hunting.

• Like 1

On 30/08/2020 at 3:22 AM, mwhouston said:

I've auditioned some gear built by @mwhouston, he does great work.

• Like 1

Have the same question as a op.

Currently struggling between vali 2 and Massdrop x Alex Cavalli

I use 25 ohm headphones thus Bottlehead crack and Darkvoice 336SE are not an option for me

Massdrop x Alex Cavalli has lower impedance than vali 2 (a plus to Massdrop)

Don't like the design of Massdrop x Alex Cavalli (a plus to vali 2)

Tube rolling is not an option with Massdrop (a plus to vali 2)

Massdrop x Alex Cavalli initial price was 250 usd, currently with shipping they costs the same (a plus to Massdrop)

Really hard to decide between those two

Edit - another option just popped up - G1217 Project Starlight

Edited by mike29a

@mike29aWhat headphones, and what is your desired outcome?

"Massdrop x Alex Cavalli has lower impedance than vali 2 (a plus to Massdrop) "..... well .....

You want a tube to sound tubey for your headphones? You want to warm them up a bit? You just want to fiddle and have something a little bit glowy?

Budget? Fairly saturated little market this cheap tube or cheap hybrid space.

As an example, people love this thing: https://www.amazon.com.au/LOXJIE-Balance-Amplifier-Headphone-Power/dp/B07H5JLD2Q

Edited by Bengineer

30 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

You want a tube to sound tubey for your headphones? You want to warm them up a bit? You just want to fiddle and have something a little bit glowy?

I want hybrid with low output impedance to drive 25 Ohm headphones.

Budget? Fairly saturated little market this cheap tube or cheap hybrid space.

No more than $260 at this stage (or 200usd if I buy from overseas)

I don't really trust amps that have no specs posted.

Reason for all this is that I want to try tubey sound without throwing a lot of money on something like WA6 (which I may consider later).

I also don't want to change my headphones (Fostex Massdrop TH-XX, heavily modded), as they have pretty good frequency response

Edited by mike29a

Why do you want a hybrid with low output impedance though? Sounds to me like you've got it in your head you want a hybrid, and you've read ASR and think you want low output impedance.

I'm trying to assist you achieve the desired outcome, but your responses arent helpful.

1. None of these cheap AF hybrids sound tubey. At best, they have a hint tube character, just a hint. If any.

2. Haven't said what headphones

3. Didn't say why you want a hybrid or a tube amp

4. The P20 specs are right there on the page. Quick google finds more specs. Specs for a cheap hybrid amp *mean close to nothing*

Edited by Bengineer

As a rule of thumb output impedance should not be more then 1\8 of headphones impedance.

2. Fostex Massdrop TH-XX, heavily modded, they are 25 Ohms,

Considering all that an amp should have no more then 3.1 Ohm

Next - OTL amps don't work well with low impedance headphones, true tube headphone amps in my price range have very high output impedance. WA6 has a low output switch but it's out of my budget.

All that leaves me only one option - hybrid

I also can't find output impedance of P20 but that's probably because I'm too tired

Edited by mike29a