Built-in Projector Shelf - Can It Be Done?

Hi All,

I'm just about ready to upgrade my projector and screen to a TW-9400 and OzTheatre 125" Cinemascope, but need to get every cm I can out of the room length (4 metres).  The throw distance calculator confirms that at 4 metres, 125" is achievable, but that will mean the projector would actually need to go inside the wall.

The wall in question backs onto a double garage, so there's no issue with the projector hanging out into another room.  My question is, would it be possible to have a 'pigeon hole' constructed, dimensions 750mm wide, 650 mm deep and 350mm high, and essentially insert that into the wall for the projector to sit in?  of course it would jut out on the garage side by 450-500mm, but I'd have brackets on the other side to reinforce it, and the cable management is already in place on that wall for the existing setup.  Has anyone ever attempted or heard of anything like this?  A Google search didn't turn up any results.  Cheers!

• Moderators

why not just go slightly smaller in screen size so dont have to go through all this messing about ? not so sure should be going so close to be fitting in. am also not sure a great idea in anyways with epson butt hanging out in a garage. garages are not exactly dust, away from elements. usually wind swept car fumes dust....all not good things for projectors. the epson aren't a sealed projector and you can end up with dust etc in light engine.

go slightly smaller in screen... so projector on a shelf on the back wall of the room.... jsut sit slightly closer and it will make up for the slightly smaller screen. all screens can look same size depending on distance viewing from. 

• Thanks 1

I'm a 'go big' sort of guy, gone up a few sizes over the years, now running a 130" scope from Ozts.  I had one P j sitting in a 'pidgin hole' in the ceiling, the front of the room has a raised ceiling so the PJ was over the lower part of the ceiling. Worked ok, had a vent into the roof.  Has your room got the same ceiling hight as the garage   I take it you would box it in to the room.  As long as you have enough room around the PJ for air it should be ok

• Thanks 1

As betty boop mentioned, the Epson doesn't have a sealed light path (i.e. is susceptible to dust blobs), so I wouldn't recommend having any venting into the garage or roof space. Would suggest you make the "box" higher and/or wider to maximise airflow - heat is the enemy of all electronics, particularly projectors.

If you're trying to maximise image size, suggest you go with a 16:9 screen unless there's another reason for 'scope (like fitting speakers under the screen). A 125" 'scope screen will have a 16:9 image size of ~98".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I bought my house I found that the only room suitable for a theatre was slightly shorter than the room I had been using in my rental..where the projector was almost against the back wall..

To have the same size screen it meant having mounting the projector on the other side of the back wall !!

Fortunately, on the other side was my bedroom and immediately on the other side of the wall was a built-in wardrobe..so I finished up mounting the projector in the wardrobe !! 😄

All I needed to do was to cut a hole in the wall, big enough to allow the complete image to be projected through..

In your situation with having the projector in the garage is quite a bit different..

I would suggest having a "box" 750mm wide x 650mm deep as you've suggested, but 600mm high..mounted to the wall and sealed..The extra height will assist with air flow..

I would then have two vents..one inline with your intake vent on the projector and the other inline with the outlet..

These vents could just be small rectangular Louvre types with some filter foam mounted to them..

That should keep out any dust or fumes getting to the projector...

You should also have a vent in the top of the box..This could be a light proof vent, of the type that you normally fit to the bottom of a door to allow air to flow into a room but still have the door light proof..

Just add some filter foam to that as well..

I have one on the bottom of my theatre door so no light enters when I'm watching a movie in the daytime..

One other thing..If you want to use a scope image then you will have to calculate how wide the box need to be...

Edited by Prof.
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the responses.  I've just had a handyman over to take a look, and he thinks it'll be easy enough to do.  I've increased the measurements to 750mm x 650mm x 600mm as Prof. suggested to make sure there is sufficient airflow.  The box will be totally sealed, so dust, fumes etc from the garage shouldn't be a problem.  We'll see what the quote comes in at and make a decision from there!  Thanks again.

• Like 1

I am just about to do something similar - I have to go through the wall into the garage for my rack.

So I bought a galv steel toolbox from Bunnings and will cut the bottom out of it and mount it to the wall inside the garage. Couple of adjustable shelf racks and hey presto instant enclosed hifi rack through the wall.

Edited by niterida
  • Like 1

On 27/08/2020 at 9:56 AM, Quark said:

heat is the enemy of all electronics, particularly projectors.

This!

The right front corner of the TW9400 gets extremely hot as I’ve discovered. And that’s only in eco mode. I’m temporarily sitting it on a faux leather couch, and originally had it around 5cm from the arm which made it red hot. Moved it a few cm more now, but it’s only a temp position anyway. 

• 1 month later...

Just an update on this - got the job done and it's come out really well.  Fully sealed from the garage, a fair bit larger than first planned which will be good for ventilation, and it looks like it's always been there.  Just waiting on the projector to be delivered which will hopefully arrive next week.  I'll add some pictures when it's all set up!

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Caine77 said:

Just an update on this - got the job done and it's come out really well.  Fully sealed from the garage, a fair bit larger than first planned which will be good for ventilation, and it looks like it's always been there.  Just waiting on the projector to be delivered which will hopefully arrive next week.  I'll add some pictures when it's all set up!

Any pictures?

• 4 weeks later...

All set up to go - watched the new episode of the Mandalorian to break in the new projector last night and very happy with the results.  I did have more photos to upload, but this one is the only one that won't give me an error?

Projector nook 2.jpg

• Like 1

A couple of the other side of the wall.  Looks like it was always a part of the garage, really happy with the result. 

I also added a Hue lightstrip to the inside of the box for an extra touch!  A lot more work, mucking around and cleaning than expected, but worth it in the end!

Projector nook 7.jpg

Projector nook 5.jpg

Projector nook 4.jpg

• Like 2